The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
dubie

Tubbing

IN case I decide to keep these fat rear tires on my 56 and do a tub on the inner fender, would anyone have some pictures of the process? I could use them for reference.

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Tubbing

I think there are some in the build files. Check the build files for the 67/72 trucks too as they tend to tub for wide tires a lot more than the rest of us. The Fleetside wheel tubs work great for tubs on the stepsides and you can narrow them up as needed pretty easily.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Here is what I did. I use some trailer fenders I purchase on ebay for around 60 bucks for both. I wanted the no limit tubs but I could not justify spending that kind of money on tubs. So I fab up these.

1. I marked the center of the wheel well with tape

2. I marked the center of the trailer fenders and line the centers up and cut the bedside.

3. I only wanted my tubes 5 inches wide so I cut it down to five inches

4. Mocked everything up

5. Welding everything up. I also reused the cut out section with the ribs to close up the tub.

I also continued the angle strip around the tubs.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
xpickup

Kabwe, another one of your nice clean looking jobs.

Shannon
xpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
dubie

AWESOME!! Thanks brother!! Did you have to move your floor braces?

Old 03-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpickup View Post
Kabwe, another one of your nice clean looking jobs.

Shannon
Shannon thanks but you are my role model.lol You do amazing work buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubie View Post
AWESOME!! Thanks brother!! Did you have to move your floor braces?
Your welcome buddy.

I will have to move them now.lol I did this before I did the c-notches. Now I have to move the bed side angle strips up 2 inches. For every action there is a reaction.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
dubie

so I've been finding out. Every time I have a great idea, it causes 4 more jobs that need to take place either before or after. But it's all part of the fun.............right? HAHAHA

Old 03-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
so I've been finding out. Every time I have a great idea, it causes 4 more jobs that need to take place either before or after. But it's all part of the fun.............right? HAHAHA
You got that right, Its all in the fun or in the pain.lol Depends on how you look at it.lol
Old 03-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
dubie

well so far, my build has been going well, so I'm thankful for that. I had intended on building a rat rod pickup out of this thing initially but ended up taking it right to the frame and replacing every nut and bolt on it. So my simple build became a lot more involved in the early stages than I wanted, but I'm also learning a lot.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #10
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
well so far, my build has been going well, so I'm thankful for that. I had intended on building a rat rod pickup out of this thing initially but ended up taking it right to the frame and replacing every nut and bolt on it. So my simple build became a lot more involved in the early stages than I wanted, but I'm also learning a lot.
LOL. You are preaching to the choir my friend. I've had the simply plan many of times but then the ideas start flowing. It starts with "You know what in my head" Thats when the trouble begins.lol

You have a very different and interesting build and I enjoy following it. Good job on the build and the thread.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #11
dubie

the entire theme behind this truck was to make it different and stand out in the crowd of normal trucks. I'm throwing a lot of my own character into it. I just hope it shows in the end result.
I've been watching your build for a while now, wondering " what's he going to do next?" I admire your vision and fab skills man. Your ride is going to turn out to be a killer. There are so many little custom touches that the average truck guy will walk around it for an hour trying to figure out all the differences.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #12
Speedbumpauto

I used the factory looking 67+ inner fenders for my tub. Same as Kabwe, fine the center, trace the inner and cut. Using the factory inners also allowed me to bolt the inners to the bed sides. I sectioned my inners 3" as they were too wide and the 3" sat inside the frame rail and couldn't be used. It also allowed a solid stainless trim piece piece next to the inner fender which gave a cleaner look. You can see the 1x2 tube in the front welded, and the 2" of old rear cross sill I welded to the new cross sill and the line I used to raise the bed floor 2". Finished product looks good, I think, for a heavily modified, pro street, in the weeds, not your stock build...................
Attached Images

Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #13
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Speedbump nice work, I really like that the stain on the bed wood.

Quote:
the entire theme behind this truck was to make it different and stand out in the crowd of normal trucks. I'm throwing a lot of my own character into it. I just hope it shows in the end result.
I've been watching your build for a while now, wondering " what's he going to do next?" I admire your vision and fab skills man. Your ride is going to turn out to be a killer. There are so many little custom touches that the average truck guy will walk around it for an hour trying to figure out all the differences.
Yeah thats what it is all about putting your own character into your build.

Thanks for the compliment man and yeah I tried to do that little custom touches thing. The only thing that I think is a very noticeable mod is the dash. I like looking at cars and trucks and thinking something is different but I don't quite know what it is.lol So I'm trying to do that with mine.

Last edited by Kabwe; 03-05-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #14
dubie

i already grabbed the inner tubs from my wife's 58 fleetside and sized them up, but thy're to large for what I need. If I decide tot ub it rather than size the tires down, I think I'll do one like Kabwe's, something tight to the inner fenders. But damn, does that bed ever look slick!!!

Old 03-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #15
GBM

I have done the trailer fender tub idea many times. I have even used them to make custom inner fenders on the front. I dont have pictures to show, but they are relatively easy to use and very versatile.

I have a redneck trailer supply and an orscheln's near me and they have them dirt cheap.
GBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #16
FarmerSid

You have been shown some great, clean and stock appearing idea's. I know I'm going to get hit with a copyright infringement lawsuit. LOL!
FarmerSid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #17
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerSid View Post
You have been shown some great, clean and stock appearing idea's. I know I'm going to get hit with a copyright infringement lawsuit. LOL!
Who was that statement directed to? Dubie, Speedbumb, or me. If its me I want my royalties.lol
Old 03-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #18
Speedbumpauto

I can be bought with beer!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #19
FarmerSid

It was to Dubie BAM. If your royalty payment includes coming to Canada and playing in my shop, you have a deal! Bring along Speedbumpauto with that summer weather and beer will be served! But be prepared for our Canadian beer. LOL!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #20
lowdownstar
big guy

If you don't mind me asking what did you guys use to cut the bed sides? How do you know how high to go on the bed sides? I hope to go with a 31" tall tire but i want the truck to sit as low as i can get it, with out air ride.

Thanks Ray
lowdownstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #21
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

I do seem to like most of the Canadians I've met, but Canadian beer I don't know.lol
Old 03-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #22
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdownstar View Post
If you don't mind me asking what did you guys use to cut the bed sides? How do you know how high to go on the bed sides? I hope to go with a 31" tall tire but i want the truck to sit as low as i can get it, with out air ride.

Thanks Ray
Well you do have those fender bolt holes as a guide as to how how high the fenders mount. I chose what I thought looked good and uniformed below those fender bolt holes. Speedbump looks like he had the flanged of his tubs as a reference point, but he has to answer that himself that's just what I would have used with those tubs.

Last edited by Kabwe; 03-05-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #23
FarmerSid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
I do seem to like most of the Canadians I've met, but Canadian beer I don't know.lol
Once you try Canadian beer, you will wonder how you can even drink that watered down American beer!

lowdownstar, a 3" cutoff wheel on a die grinder would work well. You could use a cutoff wheel on a 4 1/2" grinder but the 3" wheel gives you much better control. An air saw or jig saw would work too with the right blade but I feel the up and down action at the start and end of cut causes the material to shake and cause damage. I've tried them all and IMO, the 3" zip disk (cutoff wheel) works best for me.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #24
Speedbumpauto

Correct. Once I raised the angle strips and floor the 2" I needed, I slid a piece of 3/4 plywood(what I used for the bed floor) in, set the flange on it and drew the outline you see in the pic. Like Bam says, the only limit is the bolt holes for fender. I'm running a 31" tire and mine sits pretty low. I cut my bed sides with a plasma cutter, using a piece of angle for a straight edge.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #25
lowdownstar
big guy

thanks for the feedback. Still not sure how it's going to work out in my case but i am always watching how others are doing it and how good it comes out! in your case and with Speedbumpauto both of you guys are doing it right.

Thanks Ray
lowdownstar is offline   Reply With Quote