The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2017, 10:53 PM   #1
HAULIN' IT

Need a couple measurements - Horn Cap

Guys, I'm working on a steering wheel for an "alternative" make vehicle (Studebaker) & want to use a chrome cap for the horn. What I am hunting is a rather obtainable re-pop or whatever cap that fits the wheel & will modify the cap to include the original Studie emblem. It needs to be an "exterior" type (with a side lip that shows, not one that gets pushed down into a hole).

Can someone give me measurements of the outer diameter of whatever horn cap you have (with the year its from) & also how big the emblem area is to see if I can cover it with the original one. Thanks for any help, Lorne
HAULIN' IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:50 PM   #2
dsraven

Re: Need a couple measurements - Horn Cap

maybe try a pic of what you have and see if anybody has any ideas. I think most of the gm stuff is made to be pushed into a hole rather than cover over or snap around a hole. also a measurement of the size in the pic would help.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:17 PM   #3
HAULIN' IT

something like these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-1966-P...AAAOSwK6RZLcB6

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1954-1955-e...3af0cf86db:g:b

Maybe my description was not the best...I was just trying to imply that I know some of the early stuff went nearly flush down in a hole & that isn't really what I'm looking for. Something 3 5/8" would be ideal, 3 1/2" may look ok & 3 3/4" would be right on the edge but may look ok also. Thank You, Lorne
Old 10-27-2017, 06:49 AM   #4
capnduane

The 54/55 cap you show measures 3 1/4ins. I have one like that on my 55 2nd pickup.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:54 PM   #5
HAULIN' IT

Thank You for checking! One style off the list...I had kinda figured as much. As I was looking for options, I came across guy on Ebay holding one of those in a picture. I thought: "Well that cap is either rather small or he got his 9 year old to hold it for the picture!" Lorne
Old 10-27-2017, 08:00 PM   #6
dsraven

how about posting a pic of the wheel and show some dimensions width and depth required. maybe somebody will have an idea.
have you got the original one so you have something that fits the wheel and you are just looking for a new cover for it? or you don't have anything to fill the hole, period?
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote