The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2016, 12:36 PM   #1
[JP]

wiper motor/ washer pump route? connection?

Hi there,
on this new to me 66 chevy I took the wiper motor off to repair the bulkhead as it has correded, when doing so I've noticed it has a washer pump connected to it?

There was no hoses connected to it, and previously to knowing there was a washer pump connected I ordered a universal washer kit, but seeing as mine seems to have a pump I'd rather use that...

thing is, I dont know what hoses to connect where or how the standard setup is as there's not even a washer jar on the truck.

does anyone know how all is connected? the wiring is there, just the hoses missing and bottle...I could also test the washer pump while the pump is out, but would be good to know, again, what hoses are connected to what as there's 3 outlets at the top of the pump

from the little I've found online is one hose to the bottle and the other 2 houses to each water jet?
so, is the operating system that one hose will suck the water out the washer jar, into the pump, and then out the 2 other hoses?

Oh.. and another question, how is it mounted on the truck? seeing as the plate rusted out...
are the hoses facing up? or to the side?

thanks!

Last edited by [JP]; 01-09-2016 at 12:53 PM.
[JP] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:12 PM   #2
[JP]

Re: wiper motor/ washer pump route? connection?

Been looking more into this, comparing stuff online and some catalogues..

Looking at a motor wiring photo i found, looks like I have a 2 speed motor, so could someone let me know how does the switch works? currently I just have a normal flick 1 position switch that turns the wipers on.

I need to get a switch for it, which I think its this one - http://www.ebay.com/itm/64-65-66-Che...pVZStL&vxp=mtr

how does it operate? is it twist to turn on and speeds and that thing in the middle to squirt water?

thanks!
Old 01-09-2016, 01:43 PM   #3
[JP]

well.. found this for sale here ' http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=692368

does anyone have a photo of that instruction sheet?
Old 01-09-2016, 07:34 PM   #4
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by [JP] View Post
thing is, I dont know what hoses to connect where or how the standard setup is as there's not even a washer jar on the truck.

does anyone know how all is connected? the wiring is there, just the hoses missing and bottle...I could also test the washer pump while the pump is out, but would be good to know, again, what hoses are connected to what as there's 3 outlets at the top of the pump

from the little I've found online is one hose to the bottle and the other 2 houses to each water jet?
so, is the operating system that one hose will suck the water out the washer jar, into the pump, and then out the 2 other hoses?
Yes, the pump draws washer fluid from the jar through one hose. If you look closely at the pump, you should see 1 inlet that's slightly larger than the other 2. Then the pump pushes the fluid out through the 2 other (slightly smaller) outlets that have hoses connecting them to the spray nozzles mounted in the cowl vent. All 3 hoses pass through a grommet in the firewall.

Quote:
Been looking more into this, comparing stuff online and some catalogues..

Looking at a motor wiring photo i found, looks like I have a 2 speed motor, so could someone let me know how does the switch works? currently I just have a normal flick 1 position switch that turns the wipers on.

I need to get a switch for it, which I think its this one - http://www.ebay.com/itm/64-65-66-Che...pVZStL&vxp=mtr

how does it operate? is it twist to turn on and speeds and that thing in the middle to squirt water?
Yes, that looks like the switch you need. And yes, you twist the knob to change between off, low, and high speeds. Pushing the middle button activates the washer and if pushed with the switch off it should automatically rotate the knob into the low speed position.

These wiper motors have a +12V feed wire that is live whenever the key is on. The dash switch is what completes the circuit to ground to operate the motor. With the single speed motor/switch there is only 1 wire connecting the motor to the switch. But with the 2 speed motor w/washer there are 3 wires connecting the motor/washer to the switch. The switch grounds those 3 wires in various combinations to operate the high / low speeds & washer.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:28 PM   #5
[JP]

Hi thanks for the help here,

Do you know what connectors I'd have to plug together to test the pump? I only have a simple switch at the moment, it works, but only one speed, but as my motor as a pump attached, I'd like to see if its working

I have all the connectors on the pump and motor, but obviously as I have a simple switch, I dont know how to test the pump...

Old 01-10-2016, 04:17 PM   #6
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Hi thanks for the help here,

Do you know what connectors I'd have to plug together to test the pump?
You're welcome!

Yes, to test the pump hook a fused +12V feed to the #2 "power" terminal. Then run a small jumper wire from the #4 "power" terminal over to one of the "washer" terminals (doesn't matter which one).

Then to simulate the 2-speed dash switch, you can use a couple of jumper wires. To run the motor on low speed, jumper both the #1 "high" and #3 "low" terminals to ground. Similarly, to operate the motor on high speed, only jumper the #1 "high" terminal to
ground (leaving #3 disconnected).

Note that these motors have a built-in park switch that will continue to run the motor after the switch is turned off and only stop once it reaches the parked position. But in order to test that feature, you have to ground the motor's metal case.

The washer is mechanically driven off the motor's gearbox. So to test the washer you have to run the motor on either low or high speed as described above. Then jumper the remaining "washer" terminal to ground. That should cause the washer solenoid to click and engage the pump drive mechanism. At that point, you can disconnect the ground jumper from the "washer" terminal and with the motor still running, the pump should continue to go through about 3 or 4 cycles before the pumping mechanism automatically disengages.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:41 PM   #7
[JP]

Ray... can't thank you enough for such a good and detailed explanation!
It's 8.40pm so no chance of going out to the truck now..

Spent the day working on it and the motor is back where it's supposed to be, the wipers are now parking in the correct spot which weren't before.

I'll use your explanation as soon as I get some time to test it all.
Already bought an original switch from the US. .. but will be good to know the pump etc is working.

Again thanks for your time to reply.
If you don't mind I'm going to link this to my build thread as I asked there the same question.

Thanks
JP
Old 01-11-2016, 02:34 PM   #8
[JP]

Hi Ray,

got home from work and first thing was jump in the truck and try your explanation out.... the 2 speeds work and the pump also work! brilliant!
But i'm not sure if the pump is working 'enough'? sounds like very weak? maybe its the way it is...but I dont know!

Done a little video here..what do you think? sounds about right or on its way out?

https://youtu.be/eDvaat7FBtY
Old 01-11-2016, 05:28 PM   #9
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
.... the 2 speeds work and the pump also work! brilliant!
That's good news!

Quote:
But i'm not sure if the pump is working 'enough'? sounds like very weak? maybe its the way it is...but I dont know!

Done a little video here..what do you think? sounds about right or on its way out?
Those clicking & ratcheting sounds from the pump are fairly normal. Although the motor does sound like it might be bogging down a little at times. But it's not uncommon for wiper motors to be a little weak when you're just running them off the battery (I assume you didn't have the engine running during this test). With the engine running, the alternator output will bring the system voltage up a little higher and that should make the wiper motor run a little stronger.

It could also be that the test leads are adding a little extra resistance to the circuit. I have some similar to the ones you're using in the video and they're made of fairly light gauge wire (lighter than the stock wiper motor wiring). I don't know if it's enough to make a significant difference or not but it's a possibility.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:33 PM   #10
[JP]

ok excellent, that's good news then as I didnt have the engine running

Won't have time till the weekend now, but next thing is to feed the inlet hose into a water bottle and see what comes out the other end

thanks for the help Ray, really appreciate it.
JP
Old 01-17-2016, 02:24 PM   #11
[JP]

hi again... so got it all wired up, hoses connected, water bottle... and nothing...
the damn thing wont pump water... wont even suck it out the bottle.

I tried holding the bottle high up, tried letting the water run all the way to the end of the hose and then quickly connect on the pump....

nothing.. it wont work. is there a way of bleeding the pump or something like that?
or is it just the pump is gone? it does make that clicking noise like on the video on post 8, but maybe not enough..?
Old 01-17-2016, 05:58 PM   #12
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
is there a way of bleeding the pump or something like that?
or is it just the pump is gone? it does make that clicking noise like on the video on post 8, but maybe not enough..?
Yes, sometimes you have to prime the system by filling the inlet hose & pump with water. Although it sounds like you've already done that by holding the bottle up high & allowing it to fill the hose with water.

The pump has some little rubber one-way check valves inside that can sometimes get stuck if they sit dry for a long time. You could try blowing into the inlet hose to see if that'll push them open and get things working again. If not, I believe repair kits are still available for these pumps.