The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
jocko

am i missing something here? truck ad.

Ok, I'm not understanding the concept of pay me $30K now and then you, they buyer, hope I do a nice resto job. Is this a trend? Now, if it were something like a chip foose shop truck top be redone - then maybe, but I think this kind of stuff is ridiculous.

Keep in mind, not bashing the truck at all - it's nice and a great project for someone - but I am NOT getting the good vibe on paying someone up front for a resto promise. Crazy. What the heck is going on around here!

http://www.oldride.com/classic_trucks/577084.html
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:58 PM   #2
bwilli2

Re: am i missing something here? truck ad.

Uhhhh yeah. That's an odd one.

All sorts of "we may do this or that but we haven't decided yet..."

If someone's paying you to do the resto... aren't THEY the folks to tell you what to do? How'd they come up with the $30k? "may have rust, we don't know yet. May need new fenders, we don't know yet..."

I don't get it either. Selling a promise. Unless they have a grundle of parts already ordered for it, why not just sell the truck as is for a reasonable price?

Eh.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:09 AM   #3
G&R's57GMC

Would you pay a building contractor in full in advance to do a remodel ? NO !!!

Then what do you think will happen when you send this guy $30 grand in advance ?

Use only a licensed contractor ! NEVER EVER PAY more then 10 percent up front and NEVER in cash.

Have a complete contract listing all that is to be done and priced including parts and labor.

Be proactive in the build progress, inspect daily or at least weekly.

Pay as installments as major portions are completed and you have inspected them. Not in CASH.

If changes are made to the plan, expect a written change order with parts and labor listed.

Cost overruns should not exceed 10 percent.

Last edited by G&R's57GMC; 05-31-2012 at 02:17 AM.
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:55 AM   #4
1project2many

I agree that the ad seems funny at first but it gets a little more sane near the bottom.

"Price shown is out best estimate for the completed restoration with a show quality restoration and paint job.

"If you want us to reserve this vehicle for you, and complete to your specifications, we can work out the purchase of the truck as is and then a reasonable down payment to start work with incremental payments while work progresses until completion.

"If you want to buy this pickup as is, contact me and we can discuss that option. Probably the best option for both of us would be to purchase the pickup and then all work to complete the restoration would be agreed to upon your specs and the costs would be assumed by you the buyer.

Buy the truck as is then we'll talk about the restoration. Seems reasonable.

Quote:
Cost overruns should not exceed 10 percent.
That's a tough one in the car restoration biz. Paint / primer has increased nearly 30% over a 6 month period out here and parts seem to be slowly inching their way up as well. With restorations sometimes taking years it's pretty tough to nail down a price in the beginning. I'd expect a wise restoration shop will write the contract for incremental payments as work is done and will not include a binding estimate if the job takes more than a specific time period to complete.

Last edited by 1project2many; 05-31-2012 at 06:10 AM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
mknittle

The only thing i see is big polished brass balls.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602

Last edited by mknittle; 05-31-2012 at 09:44 AM.
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
mr48chev

It might be a better add if they had two or three start to finish build albums of similar trucks that they have done in the past year or so to show what they are capable of. something on the line of "we are offering this truck for $xxxx and can turn it into one similar to this one___________ for something in the neighborhood of $xxxxx depending upon the options you want.

G&R's57GMC put it near perfect as far as paying someone else to build your truck goes. The only thing I could add was to put in a payment schedule that says the exact steps that have to be completed before payment is due. Few shops can carry a project start to finish without having payments made along the way but it's nuts to expect someone to pay 100% upfront to start a project.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
azsnow

Well it is a delux cab afterall!
azsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
robin58

Quote:
It might be a better add if they had two or three start to finish build albums of similar trucks that they have done in the past year or so to show what they are capable of
Well they are selling another one they did too:

http://www.oldride.com/classic_trucks/711277.html

and have quite a few projects on their website:

http://mjrestorations.com/

Really looks like just a very poorly worded ad with no links which I only found by doing a reverse lookup on their phone #.
robin58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:39 PM   #9
1project2many

I love seeing California pictures. Bodies in primer left outside under tents with no worries. Heck... I'm worried about bringing my convertible into work tomorrow because local weather says chance of showers. Today was mostly sunny so I know two clear days in a row is a long shot.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote