The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2005, 10:25 AM   #1
76bonanza

leaky windshield

This leaky windshield is making me crazy. Could it be getting in the side between the glass and the seal then running down to the bottom of the seal and coming out? It is ozzing out on the bottom between the glass and the seal. Siliconed the bottom good and the top seal to the body good stopped most of it but not all of it.
76bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 01:56 PM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: leaky windshield

As long as I have been a member of this board, this question has arisen many, many times.

Our trucks have an inherent design flaw that allows dirt, leaves, and all kinds of "stuff" to accumulate above the kick panel vents. We often blame the windshield and say it is leaking then go a daub a bunch of silicone sealer in all kinds of places to stop the leak. In all actuality, the sealing of the windshield is not the problem. I finally stopped mine from leaking (not the windshield) by parking it under one of those cheap ($200) vinyl 10x20 "sheds" that Sam's sells.

My truck came with about half a tube of silastic, already installed, on either side of the windshield mounting gasket.

One thing to watch with silicone sealers, is to be sure you are using the type that will not react with the metal, causing it to rust where the sealer contacts the body. Many of the silastic sealers, smell like ammonia when they cure, so it should be a tip-off to check which kind you are using.

By the way, it seems like you guys in Missouri have gotten a bit of rain lately, right?

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 02:48 PM   #3
Frizzle Fry

My windshield is leaking on the Sub right at the bottom and running down behind the dash on the inside of the firewall. I plan to replace the windshield and gasket. While it's out I'll clean everything up (wirewheel) and epoxy prime.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 03:26 PM   #4
76bonanza

it is the windshield it pools up on top of the dash I can watch it come out of the seal on the inside were the seal and the glass met then it pools up on the dash and drips thru the drain holes in the dash onto the parking brake handle. Also I have a garage at home but not at work it is not to bad just nagging me. Seems like it rains 2 inchs one day then nothing for 2 weeks then 2 inchs more go figure.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:31 PM   #5
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Okay, you win. If it is pooling on the dash, it can't be what comes in thru the cowl vent. You guys in Missouri, y'all are the "Show Me" state, right? So, you showed me...good stuff.

Sounds like it is time to pull the windshield, and the gasket. Then, like me, you should examine the cavity in the cab to be sure it isn't rusted away and letting the rain leak in. I figure to have to do a little bit of reconstructive surgery on the cab, to be sure that the gaskets will be tight, when done.

One other possibility, is the doors. If water runs in and pools on the dash, it could be coming from the doors, depending on the condition of the seals, and how tightly the doors close.

I had a '95 Ranger that had to have a new roof, courtesy of an accident that had to be seen to be believed. Anyway, the first time it rained the carpet was wet as was the headliner. I took it back to the body shop. They claimed they had it fixed, and the next time it rained, same song....new verse. So, back it went. Seems that the body shop forgot to properly attach the new roof panel and to also seal it. So, a little birdie at the upholstery shop told me what had happened. Geez, when I asked the body shop owner, who was known to me, why it was so hard to get the repairs done right and why the hood had whisker hairs in it and why the non-chip coating hadn't been replaced on the rockers and why did their Sikken's brochure say that body shops return the vehicles as good as, if not better, than new? He had nothing to say. Anyway, check the doors, too. It could be more than the windshield. These trucks are also known to have rusty seams at the tops of the cabs, above the windshield.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 07:44 PM   #6
76bonanza

Ya it is not too bad if I leave a towel in it when it rains it gets most of it. Really dont want to pull the windshield maybe another day thanks for you advice.