The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2017, 11:05 PM   #1
stephen p

long distance tow using 1970 c10 lwb 350/350

first, hi.. i'm new here, sorta... anyhow, i'm making a move from jackson ms to portland, or.. which is 37 hours/2500 miles according to google, and undoubtedly some of it has hills... and i need to get my stuff there, which includes my kawasaki Kz1000, and a 1969 short and wide, and i'm not overly eager to drive it there, as it's got a pretty rowdy big block and muncie m20.. so i need to trailer/dolley it there, along with clothes, some tools, etc.

well i'm getting working a deal for a 2003 dodge 1500 quad cab 5.7 hemi, i planned on using it, personal friends with the current owner, who got it a year ago with a bad motor, the truck has lived a hard life, and has 230k miles. but we replaced the blown engine with a much lower mile charger 5.7 and it runs great... i would think making it there would be pretty easy.. BUT if it doesn't, screwed would be putting it LIGHTLY, and although there has been no issues we know of, the transmissions in 1/2 ton dodges are known for sucking...

so here's the other option, (where my thread title comes in) i have found a truck i've kinda been lusting for.. it's a grandpa fresh 1970 long bed c10 california blue plate, almost rust free survivor truck 350/4bbl, th350 trans.. it's all stock, it's been sitting off and on some, but it's solid, and a runner, fluid change, filters, go over the brakes, and i'd be pretty confident in it (unloaded). i can get it very reasonable. i was thinking with some good stiff springs and air shocks out back, it might do the job.

37 hour trip in a 47 year old truck, towing a 50 year old truck vs using a modern 13 year old truck dumb, right? seemingly.. but my line of thinking is this.. short of a wreck, pretty much any catastrophic failure, i could fix on the road side. another th350, or sbc engine could be found on nearly any craigslist. rear and pukes i can switch it from my 69.. the motor, trans, or rear end pukes on the dodge? motor is a 1500 dollar deal used on the cheap side, used trans, close to the same... any of that would be an ambitious roadside fix to say the least. the dodge will be a much more pleasant trip, and will probably be up for the task, and would be safer as far as towing stably, and braking.. the 70 c10, will be a slower, less comfortable trip, BUT can be fixed easy, road side, and when i get there, i'll have a pretty awesome survivor clean companion truck for my 69.. i guess the question is, would a 350/350 half ton long bed truck be capable of hauling a motorcycle and another c10 2500 miles? and the other negative to the chevy, is that it's a manual drum truck, and i don't really have the time and money to convert it to disc, and buy wheels/tires... but there was a time where drum brakes were the norm, and people made cross country trips..

opinions?
stephen p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:36 PM   #2
wbc409

Re: long distance tow using 1970 c10 lwb 350/350

Install an external tranny cooler and take it easy through the mountains and you should be fine. It will take you longer than the 37 hrs stated. I drove a 71 c10 from Jacksonville to st paul with the bed full, and pulling an enclosed double axle uhaul trailer. It didn't like going up the mountains through Tennessee. I let some other idiot that was with me drive. He was trying to maintain 65 going up the mountains and the th350 was not up to the challenge. He slowed down to 50 after I told him he would be walking to Nebraska if cooked the tranny. The tranny got a little hot but wasn't damaged. Completed the trip without any other issues.
wbc409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:46 PM   #3
clay68c10

Yep, x2 on the trans cooler and take it easy.
An extra couple of days from slow travel beats an extra week due to nuking and having to repair something.
Sounds like a fun trip.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:47 PM   #4
bigrigpardo

things to worry about. drum drum when towing will have a greater risk for brake fade on long grades. also the c10 has no overdrive so expect 55-60 max towing that load on flat open road and then there is the like 5 mpg towing that load with a truck like that. so can it be done yes. is it practical it depends. is it cost effective with gas prices around 2.50 for regular not really. the truck will make it fine but it will be a long slow trip were you will need to be extra cautious. I towed everything with my 71c20 350 4 speed for years. you could watch the gas gauge move and 55 was it with such a heavy load. I have a 93 cummins now my last load truck trailer and load was a total of 16k lbs and I got a steady 12 on the highway. now its no prius but compared to my chevy its great. it stops great and pulls great. your gas dodge will pull good and have od for the highway and get significantly better fuel mileage. as for failures with either truck. its a total crapshoot anything can happen on a long trip like that.
bigrigpardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:20 AM   #5
randy500
Account Suspended

Honestly that trip could be done but a truck of 4k pounds a trailer of 1.5k a motorcycle of 600 pounds or so and 800 pounds of cargo Is actually way over the GVW for a 1/2ton truck of that vintage, its a bad idea as far as GVW and as far as that truck not being on the road and tested out. Why not just drive the big block truck and have the confidence that it will get you there?
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:31 AM   #6
saxart

To me this isn't so much about the basic engine/trans combo making it.

1) The drum brakes, towing that much through the mountains could be "tough at best".

2) What happens in a 46 year old truck, when you're driving and it starts raining, and you lose you wipers? Or your tail lights quit. or... Etc, etc. etc....

The "problem" with a truck this old is that EVERYTHING is that old. So much chance to be mired in little crap that could go wrong and really put a hurtin on your trip.

Go with the 2003, even if it is a Dodge.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:07 AM   #7
stephen p

randy, the big block truck is a 10:1 454 10cc domes, 063 oval ports, 286 cam, 850 dp carb.. it's mild in comparison to a lot of big blocks, but i don't think it's best suited for the trip, it's also got under 1k miles after me spending a great deal of money on machine work, parts, and thrown tools. i'm not interested in putting 2500 miles of sustained highway driving on it with a load, in hill country. .. not to mention, the wear on the flywheel, and $450 ram hd clutch.. also, if the trans gives up the ghost, another M20 is going to cost me used between 600, and 1200, depending on what the hick who owns it thinks it's worth.. IF i can find one.. motorcycle weighs closer to 400 lbs, and i was thinking of dropping the drive shaft out of the big block truck and using a tow dolley, for weight and drag savings. my cargo is a couple totes of clothes, probably 100 lbs of tools, and a fender p-bass. so realistically 250-300 lbs in misc cargo

ideally nothing would happen, but if i nuke a th350, i can find a replacement cheap cheap.. hell, i could bring a spare.

i also figured 60-65 mph on level ground would be about the best sustained speed. gas mileage is going to suck for sure.. but yeah.. my biggest fear is brake fade with the drums.. that's the biggest red flag

as far as wipers and electrical, and knit pickey, stuff, again, all that can be repaired or patched on the side of the road. i'm not scared of that.

the dodge i think would be ideal, i'm just scared of the 230k mile auto trans, they aren't known for being great. if i lose the trans on the way, i'll pretty much have no choice but to sell the thing to the closest junkyard for whatever i can get for it, and drive the 69 the rest of the way. but assuming that doesn't happen, the dodge would be much better suited to do the trip..
Old 02-22-2017, 01:26 AM   #8
bhemingson

Put a cap on your truck. Fill it with your stuff and ship it. Zero wear and tear and you can ride your bike out at 100 mph
bhemingson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:47 AM   #9
stephen p

hah. yeah, my money is not that long.. shipping alone on my 69 is 1500, and that's from the shipper our company spends literally millions with every year. can't afford to have all my stuff shipped
Old 02-22-2017, 01:57 AM   #10
bhemingson

Do the math on gas and a break down budget plus the cost of another truck.
bhemingson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:02 AM   #11
James the III

drive the dodge, just add a cooler..
if it claps out, uhaul truck the rest of the way..
heck renting the uhaul is cheaper than buying another truck..

Me I'd find a roll back tow truck, buy it, do the trip then sell it..
James the III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:19 AM   #12
stephen p

i'm trading into the dodge. i will have about 1k out of pocket to acquire it, when it's said and done. i can sell it and buy the 70, or i can use the dodge.. u haul one way is 1400, plus gas... so i'm looking at 1k plus gas.. and other misc expenses going the chevy/dodge route.. or, i can spend give the 1500 dollars to u haul and pay gas, and make the miserable ass drive in a box van, wave bye at the money, or spend upwards of 2k to have my 69 and kaw shipped, and then a plane ticket, also wave bye at the money or roll the dice on one of the two trucks. and more than likely arrive with an extra vehicle, dodge or 70 chevy.. shipping=not f*ing doing it... u haul again, not gonna happen... i'm a 29 year old single working dude, i can't just front the cash for to buy a roll back, insure it, and make the drive. even if i made a profit. i don't need extra ideas. i've racked my brain about how to make this work. dodge or or 70 lwb. those are the only two options. if i'm spending 1500-2k i'm going to have an extra vehicle to show for it.

Last edited by stephen p; 02-22-2017 at 02:32 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:29 AM   #13
stephen p

say the chevy gets 7 mpg i'm looking at around 358 gallons of gas.. x 2.50= 895.. let's say the dodge gets 11 mpg. x 2.50=567.5.. i'll have 1k in the dodge to acquire it, by the time i get done bartering, or i can sell it, and roll that money directly over into the chevy. so tack on those gas figures, to 1k.. and i have a vehicle when i get to portland hopefully.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:44 AM   #14
James the III

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen p View Post
i'm trading into the dodge. i will have about 1k out of pocket to acquire it, when it's said and done. i can sell it and buy the 70, or i can use the dodge.. u haul one way is 1400, plus gas... so i'm looking at 1k plus gas.. and other misc expenses going the chevy/dodge route.. or, i can spend give the 1500 dollars to u haul and pay gas, and make the miserable ass drive in a box van, wave bye at the money, or spend upwards of 2k to have my 69 and kaw shipped, and then a plane ticket, also wave bye at the money or roll the dice on one of the two trucks. and more than likely arrive with an extra vehicle, dodge or 70 chevy.. shipping=not f*ing doing it... u haul again, not gonna happen... i'm a 29 year old single working dude, i can't just front the cash for to buy a roll back, insure it, and make the drive. even if i made a profit. i don't need extra ideas. i've racked my brain about how to make this work. dodge or or 70 lwb. those are the only two options. if i'm spending 1500-2k i'm going to have an extra vehicle to show for it.
If the move is for work,job you can deduct it some times on your taxes..
i.e. renting the uhaul might be a better deal in the long run over buying a pos..
Old 02-22-2017, 05:04 AM   #15
cherokeejohn

sounds like either way , once your there your plan is to sell the Doged and buy the 70 chevy. Then you have to still get that truck to there also I am with you 100% on the "fixability" factor, that's why I have my 72 as my daily driver. Your plan with the tow dolly/removing the driveshaft sounds good, I would look into one with elect trailer brakes and install a brake controller in the 70, there about $50-$75 depending on brand. And definitely the trans cooller. Add some time to your trip so you can take your time, and it wont be as hard on the truck. As for mountains, well either way the Rockies stand between you and Portland and they are basically unavoidable, so again, take your time, map your route, maybe avoid high speed roads over the mountains. You could also consider storing Kawasaki until your settled in and have some paychecks coming in and then maybe fly back and ride it out in warmer weather, just a thought. It would lighten your load alot and a ride like that during the summer can not only be a great trip, but good for the soul too. just my 2 cents. Anyway I look at it, I say go with the 70, its a mechanical risk no matter how you look at it, but like you said originally, fixing the "what ifs" are much easier with the 70, and it sounds as though you want that truck either way,
cherokeejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:34 AM   #16
tutone

Go for it. You will end up with a good sound truck in the end. I would service the truck and transmission too before taking off. remember in 1970 that's all that was out there, and many cross country trips were made then and for years before that. I tow a vintage camper lots of times and the same rules apply, sometimes you need to stay away from the busy parts of the interstates. You will most likely be traveling 10-20 MPH slower than flowing traffic, so be well lit and keep your eyes in the back of your head open. Good luck.
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:48 AM   #17
Ken B

That is an awful lot too ask of a 50 yr. old truck you know very little about. If you were just towing the motorcycle on a trailer I'd be all about doing it. But, towing another truck on a trailer, your motorcycle plus anything else you need too haul is a whole other deal..... The tranny cooler will help cool the tranny and that is all it will do. It won't help much if that tranny is half beat to begin with.. I'd be very curious to know what the rear gear ratio is...

Last edited by Ken B; 02-22-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:01 AM   #18
Ed F

Sounds to me like you have your mind made up and are just looking for support. You have built a good case and your justification might even convince my wife.....well probably not. Those of us that drove these trucks when they were new have a better understanding of their capabilities. Take your time and listen to what the truck is telling you along the way. If you over work it it will let you know. Be smart, have good trailer brakes, take your time and enjoy the experience. Every vehicle on the road is racing toward its next break down. It is inevitable. I recommend a tandem axle trailer with electric brakes on both axles. I don't think gas mileage will be as bad as others have indicated. I have an 18' mahogany Chris Craft on a tandem trailer and have towed it a fair amount with my '70 C10 with no problems. Remember what you are driving and let the truck dictate the pace. And most of all take us along on your adventure! Who among us wouldn't want to strike out on a good road trip. Take lots of pictures....you will never be sorry that you took a picture but you might regret not taking a picture. I am along for the ride.
Ed F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:14 AM   #19
stephen p

i'm not going to lie. i do want the chevy.... but it's not a matter of i've made my mind up on it, and am seeking validation. i'm just needing a strong case for it or the dodge.. the what if's on the dodge scare me.. the brakes on the chevy scare the hell out of me as well.... the only thing my mind is made up on, is it's going to be one of the two trucks. i mean if the dodge makes it, i can sell it in portland, fly back and get the 70.. so it's not that. and on the flip side, there's something to be said for keeping the dodge and having a modern vehicle around, because all i own is my 69, and my z1.. the dodge is a great truck..... until it's not a great truck.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:24 PM   #20
James the III

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen p View Post
i'm not going to lie. i do want the chevy.... but it's not a matter of i've made my mind up on it, and am seeking validation. i'm just needing a strong case for it or the dodge.. the what if's on the dodge scare me.. the brakes on the chevy scare the hell out of me as well.... the only thing my mind is made up on, is it's going to be one of the two trucks. i mean if the dodge makes it, i can sell it in portland, fly back and get the 70.. so it's not that. and on the flip side, there's something to be said for keeping the dodge and having a modern vehicle around, because all i own is my 69, and my z1.. the dodge is a great truck..... until it's not a great truck.
Here is my take..
There is nothing wrong with dodge transmissions.. most failures are from user error, and part of why you can't find a dipstick on most vehicles today..
On your trip, if you burn up a bearing on a truck what one are you most likely to find ASAP.. the chevy 12 bolt.. or the dodge??
same with the front.. you burn up a bearing on the chevy and take out the spindle, how long till you find one? over walking into a parts store and asking for the dodge front bearing hub? that comes out of the spindle..
sure you can walk to the trailer and take it off the one being towed.. not ideal..
It sounds like you know the history of the dodge and not the chevy..
At 230k I'm thinking much has been replaced and might look ruff, but fine for this job.. and I'm not a dodge fan at all..
If you had, had the chevy on the road for a few months and knew it's true shape, then I'd be all for it..
Here is the thing,, what is the true cost to use the chevy and will you be keeping it..
the buy in then the new hoses and belts, brakes, all fluids , an honest look at the radiator , the clutch fan if so equipped as that will be the first thing to show it's ugly face when towing, repacking and inspection of the front bearings, and front end parts.. and rear springs.. cause I'm thinking between the trailer tongue weight and what you want to stuff in the bed you'll be over a 1/2 ton and 40 year old springs might just be tail dragg'n..
check rear axle seals..
Remember most of this has been done as needed to the dodge that is in use.. other than springs..

If you have plenty of time to stop or slow when the old truck needs it.. if it needs it.. and the cash to have it road/tow ready.. then go for it..
I think you'll find the cost to use the chevy is much more than you think it's going to be.. vehicles that sit idle unused are hard on parts.. waking the water pump ,alt, etc can make for good times when you wake them and ask for everything they got..
good luck..
I'd go pro out the window at an angle to get front and side view.. as you'll miss much of the landscape as you are driving.. down load to a laptop daily or buy a few extra memory card..
It'll be worth it.. you can't take it in while looking at the road..
Old 02-22-2017, 01:43 PM   #21
72 tigger

Go through the Chevy, rent a trailer with brakes & take off! I think if you're careful & patient, it will be a good trip. If anything major breaks, it'll make for a great story to tell your children & grandchildren someday. "Back in seventeen I took this crazy cross country trip...."
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:06 PM   #22
stephen p

Quote:
Originally Posted by James the III View Post
Here is my take..
There is nothing wrong with dodge transmissions.. most failures are from user error, and part of why you can't find a dipstick on most vehicles today..
On your trip, if you burn up a bearing on a truck what one are you most likely to find ASAP.. the chevy 12 bolt.. or the dodge??
same with the front.. you burn up a bearing on the chevy and take out the spindle, how long till you find one? over walking into a parts store and asking for the dodge front bearing hub? that comes out of the spindle..
sure you can walk to the trailer and take it off the one being towed.. not ideal..
It sounds like you know the history of the dodge and not the chevy..
At 230k I'm thinking much has been replaced and might look ruff, but fine for this job.. and I'm not a dodge fan at all..
If you had, had the chevy on the road for a few months and knew it's true shape, then I'd be all for it..
Here is the thing,, what is the true cost to use the chevy and will you be keeping it..
the buy in then the new hoses and belts, brakes, all fluids , an honest look at the radiator , the clutch fan if so equipped as that will be the first thing to show it's ugly face when towing, repacking and inspection of the front bearings, and front end parts.. and rear springs.. cause I'm thinking between the trailer tongue weight and what you want to stuff in the bed you'll be over a 1/2 ton and 40 year old springs might just be tail dragg'n..
check rear axle seals..
Remember most of this has been done as needed to the dodge that is in use.. other than springs..

If you have plenty of time to stop or slow when the old truck needs it.. if it needs it.. and the cash to have it road/tow ready.. then go for it..
I think you'll find the cost to use the chevy is much more than you think it's going to be.. vehicles that sit idle unused are hard on parts.. waking the water pump ,alt, etc can make for good times when you wake them and ask for everything they got..
good luck..
I'd go pro out the window at an angle to get front and side view.. as you'll miss much of the landscape as you are driving.. down load to a laptop daily or buy a few extra memory card..
It'll be worth it.. you can't take it in while looking at the road..
I'll probably go a head a d convert to 5 lug disc and fresh front bearings. I've got 1.5 5lug parts trucks. I don't suppose I can take them, and i guess I'd be smarter to convert the long bed and convert short bed later... stiff new rear springs, belts and hoses, waterpump, 100 amp alternator are no Brainers. As far as 12 bolt and radiator, I do have another c10 behind me... BUT your point of high miles and driven, and half way maintained vs lower miles, older, sitting off and on, is SPOT ON. I've found that to be very true.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:08 PM   #23
James the III

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 tigger View Post
Go through the Chevy, rent a trailer with brakes & take off! I think if you're careful & patient, it will be a good trip. If anything major breaks, it'll make for a great story to tell your children & grandchildren someday. "Back in seventeen I took this crazy cross country trip...."
And missed the first few days of my new job..
And was then unemployed..

sorry, been there done that..
Old 02-22-2017, 02:18 PM   #24
stephen p

Quote:
Originally Posted by James the III View Post
And missed the first few days of my new job..
And was then unemployed..

sorry, been there done that..
Luckily I'm transferring within the company. But that would be my luck HAHAHAHAHA