The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2004, 01:02 PM   #1
76sierraclassic

Intermittent Wipers

Need some help, please...

I recently purchased an intermittent wiper switch (see pic) on eBay which was advertised for any 73-83 model GMC/Chevy pickup, and is supposed to just "plug right in". This weekend I pulled the one on my 76 Sierra Classic and not only are the mounting holes different, but so are the plugins. I think I can get around the mounting hole differences without too much difficulty, but I don't know about the wiring.

Can anyone tell me if this switch can be used on my truck, and if so how to go about wiring it? If not, is there another feasible, inexpensive way to get intermittent wipers on my truck?

Thanks in advance,
Mike W.
76sierraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 06:48 PM   #2
dswancutt

Intermittent Wipers

Mike;

I hate to tell you this, but I checked my GM parts manual and they show a different P/N's for the standard (non-intermittent) wiper switch for 75-77 with a change occuring for the 78 model year. There is a different number for intermittent wipers switches for 77 & 78. I have a feeling that the switch is for a 78-83? van. I checked a controller that I have and it looks the same. The switches show up on eBay quite a bit.

Hope this helps.

Doug
dswancutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 08:01 PM   #3
Truckstuff

Pulse Wipers

Like dswancutt says. 78 was the first year for pulse wipers, there is a change in the main harness. The switch you have will plug straight in on a 78 + up untill GM moved the wipers to the colum.

Building: 1981 GM SB LowRider
1985 GM K3500 3+3
1981 GM K2500 SSB
1980 GM K2500 X-BC Hydro
1979 GM K3500 3+3
1976 GM K5 Blazer
1970 Custom 10
http://bc4x4.com/

Last edited by Truckstuff; 04-13-2004 at 08:03 PM.
Truckstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 08:12 PM   #4
Bill W

Plug it in

I think the only difference is the mounting holes for the switch. Just for an experiment unplug your factory switch and plug it into the black box on your new switch. I think you will see it fits perfectly. Then you can turn on the switch and see if it works. I just did the same thing two weeks ago. Only difference is my switch has the mounting holes that line up exactly on the pickup dash. No cutting or splicing required.

Bill
Bill W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 12:30 AM   #5
dswancutt

Intermittent Wipers

Mike;

I just looked in the box that held my intermittent wiper and I have the wiring harness that from the wire loom to the the switch. The good news is it has about 6"+ of wiring. PM with your address and I'll send it to you.

Doug
Old 04-14-2004, 08:09 AM   #6
rodkeyc

I think that is the switch I need if you don't. Think of a price and the cost of shipping to Ashland Ky 41101 if you wind up not using it please. Meanwhile I will look at mine again. I drive an 82 SWB C10. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:51 AM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Intermittent Wipers

Quote:
Originally posted by dswancutt
..... There is a different number for intermittent wipers switches for 77 & 78......
Can you clarify this? Are you saying there is a part number for a 77-78 intermittent wiper switch? My understanding has been that intermittent wipers couldn't be added to my 77 Cheyenne because there was no harness to plug in to.

If anyone can comment I would really appreciate fresh info on this subject.

76sierraclassic- I didn't mean to hi-jack your thread. I think the answer will help both of us

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:42 AM   #8
76sierraclassic

Thanks!!

Thanks for all of the info guys.

dswancutt, I pm'd you. Thanks!!!

rodkeyc, if the wiring that dswancutt is sending me doesn't seem to work, I'll definitely sell you the switch.

N2TRUX, no problem with the hijack. That's what this forum is all about...helping each other.

Just for more information, if someone wants to look up the numbers, these are the #'s from the bottom of the switch: A60-04A and 459484 and 8-08.

The numbers on the relay (?) are a little smudged, but it looks like they could be 459485.

The back of the switch says "CHERRY" on it and the relay is stamped "Lectron Products".

Thanks again,
Mike W.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:12 PM   #9
rodkeyc

Looked at my setup on lunch break and my switch is different than the one in your photo too. Crud. Would have been nice dealing with you. Anyway, hope you can get the one you have already to work and thanks for the offer. Corey
Old 04-14-2004, 09:42 PM   #10
dswancutt

Intermittent Wipers

Mike;

Those part numbers don't correspond to any in the parts manual, but neither do the one's on the switch and controller I have. The number on the controller I have matches yours. I'm wondering if it's not for a van or a medium duty or heavier GM truck.

Doug
Old 04-14-2004, 09:46 PM   #11
dswancutt

Intermittent Wipers

For what it's worth, here are some pictures of various GM switches.

75-77 standard switch
Old 04-14-2004, 09:49 PM   #12
dswancutt

78-82 standard switch
Old 04-14-2004, 09:52 PM   #13
dswancutt

Intermittent Wipers

78-83 intermittent wiper switch - I think this is the style used from 81-83 with the pictogram. 78-80 had washer wiper like the picture above.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:07 PM   #14
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

dswancutt- Good pics and info. So lets start at the beginning here. Even though you didn't directly reply to my question, I believe what your showing verifies that there is no way to plug & play intermittent wipers on a 73-77 truck.

My "new" question is what would it take to accomplish this? I see you would need the switch, and intermittent module. If you changed to a 78+ wiper motor, does the module plug directly to motor or am I missing a connection?
Old 04-15-2004, 12:17 AM   #15
dswancutt

VIN # Question

N2TRUX

I think to get it to work on a 75-77 truck, you need to lead off the wiring harness, the controller, and the switch from a 78-83 truck, and to redrill the dash. I know they changed the design on the wiper motor in 78, but I'm not sure if the wiring is different. My uncle has a 77 silverado that i can check to see if the wiring is different under the dash. I can borrow the digital camera from work and take pictures this weekend if I get done with all the crap I need to do on my 78 and try to post them. I will see if a standard switch will fit in the hole also. Now I wish that I had bought a 77 3/4 ton silverado with full power for $900.00 a couple of years ago in a junk lot. I think it had intermittent wipers also. I pissed around and i think it was crushed

Doug
Old 04-15-2004, 01:45 AM   #16
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Doug if you can take a look that would be awesome. Having had so many late model trucks with all the options has spoiled me. I really want to add intermittent wipers to my 77 now
Old 04-16-2004, 05:49 PM   #17
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Doug? Anyone?
Old 04-16-2004, 06:24 PM   #18
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Sorry to hijack this some more, but my 82 has standard wiper switch, would changing to the intermettant switch allow me to have intermittant wipers or do I need to change out the motor and something else also??

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 07:56 PM   #19
dswancutt

intermittent wipers

N2TRUX

I'm going to try to get out to my uncles 77 tomorrow after I change the oil and rotate my tires on my truck.

Bill,

All you need to have intermittent wipers on your 82 is to get them from any 78-83 pickup. All you have to do is unplug your old wiper switch and plug in the controller and intermittent switch. You do not have to change your wiper motor.

Doug
Old 04-16-2004, 09:12 PM   #20
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Thanks in advance Doug. Sorry, I was just getting impatient so I thought I would bump the thread. It looks like it got another player involved though.

Palf70Step thats not a hijack. Your still on the same topic. What do I know though, cause I jumped in too:p
Old 04-17-2004, 02:49 AM   #21
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

dswancutt thanks for the info. Very useful indeed.

Thanks N2Trux.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 06:31 PM   #22
dswancutt

Intermittent Wipers

Mike & N2TRUX

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the wiring conector is completely different on 75-77 Chevys. If your not afraid to cut the wires, I think it will work, but I'm not sure about the hole size for the switch. I'll try to post the pictures I took later today.

Mike;

I apologize for not getting the wiring harness in the mail this weekend. The maintenance on my truck took longer than I thought it would. I will get it out tomorrow.

Doug
Old 04-18-2004, 08:11 PM   #23
7T7
Regular guy

You know this intermittent wiper for the 1977 C10's has been a pain in the ass for me for over 13 years. That's when my factory intermittent wiper switch went out and I began my quest to find a replacement. Yes, my 77 came from the factory with intermittent wipers. GM gave me the run around about 77 not having intermittent wipers then said "OK they did but the switch is no longer available." The 77 switch looked just like the 78-83 intermittent switch but the 78 switch would not fit my factory pigtail. The intermittent module is a black box that also contains the triggering mechanism for the power locks. Very strange! Though getting my wipers back to intermittent isn't a major priority, I still find it interesting how many different combinations GM has put into their cars and trucks. Painless Wiring has around 4 pages in their wiring harness manual for our trucks just on wiper motors and switches. Hell the complete ignition system is covered in about a page and a half.
7T7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 09:17 PM   #24
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally posted by dswancutt
....I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the wiring connector is completely different on 75-77 Chevys. If your not afraid to cut the wires, I think it will work, but I'm not sure about the hole size for the switch. I'll try to post the pictures I took later today....
Doug thanks for looking. I had been told that it wasn't going to work, but I thought I would double check. Post the pic when you can for reference anyway.
Quote:
Originally posted by 7T7
.....That's when my factory intermittent wiper switch went out and I began my quest to find a replacement. Yes, my 77 came from the factory with intermittent wipers......
OK now this is interesting. Everyone swears that intermittent wipers was not available in 77. Here we have an original owner that knows this isn't true. Hmmm? I have more research to do...
Old 04-18-2004, 10:50 PM   #25
76sierraclassic

dswancutt,

No problem on the wiring. I'm in no hurry. I just appreciate you sending it to me.

Thanks,
Mike W.