The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2008, 04:30 AM   #1
TimC63

Question Milodon or Fel-Pro One Piece Oil Pan Gasket?

Does anyone have anything against using a Milodon one piece oil pan gasket (41000) for a '72 Chevy 350 5.7L vs. using a Fel-Pro? I can't imagine one would be better than the other, but just thought I'd ask.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:51 AM   #2
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Re: Milodon or Fel-Pro One Piece Oil Pan Gasket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC63 View Post
Does anyone have anything against using a Milodon one piece oil pan gasket (41000) for a '72 Chevy 350 5.7L vs. using a Fel-Pro? I can't imagine one would be better than the other, but just thought I'd ask.
Funny you should ask! I am about to remove a Milodon to put in a FelPro. Can't say my small leak is the gasket's fault... but I have to try something. I just opened the Felpro and it is much stiffer than the Milodon, which is like a soft, floppy wet noodle to keep in place while installing. The Felpro is a lot stiffer and you can hold it by the middle and the ends don't flop down. Recommendation (though I haven't installed yet): Felpro.

Truck Pictures: http://community.webshots.com/user/billydonn
Truck Video: http://good-times.webshots.com/video...ost=good-times
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:12 AM   #3
TimC63

Thanks for the input...what year engine do you have and what Fel-Pro p/n are you using?

Two different techs at Summit told me that if you have a '57-'74 350 and are using an aftermarket oil pan (which I am), you should actually be using the '75-'85 Fel-Pro gasket which has the thicker front seal. Supposedly most (if not all) aftermarket pans require the thicker seal.

Even though the desc's below from JEGS shows the OS34510T being a right hand dip stick, that p/n actually has provisions for both sides, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Fel Pro OS-34509T - SB-Chevy
PermaDryPlus 1957-74
SBC 262-400
Left-hand dipstick

Fel Pro OS34510T - SB-Chevy
PermaDryPlus 1975-85
SBC 262-400
Right-hand dipstick
Old 03-28-2008, 06:49 AM   #4
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

I just picked up a new USA made pan (moroso)...new timing cover (edelbrock), and a Fel-Pro one piece gasket for my truck.

My block has the dip-stick on the drivers side (figures)...so the number I have is OS34509T....

My buddy at the speed-shop never steer me wrong, so he sold me the Fel Pro.

Although, never used any other, so I can't comment on that.

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:25 AM   #5
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Well, my engine is recent GM replacement shortblock (2 pc. seal) w/ provision for dipstick on both sides... I'm using the driver's side dipstick location. I have the 57-74 Felpro gasket (pt # shows 03751885) and have Wiseco and Milodon stock replacement pans both with driver side dipstick... Hope I have the correct gasket... It's the one recommended by Jegs to go with my new Milodon pan 30700. (Wiseco is coming off.) ChiefRocka I hope your speedshop buddy is right!

Anyway, I'm liking the look of the FelPro because the Milodon gasket is very soft and floppy and hard to keep in place if you're installing it w/o the engine upside down on a stand.

Last edited by billydonn; 03-28-2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:35 PM   #6
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

I have used the one piece gasket for years (can't remember which one as it has been about 10 years since the pan has been off) but I highly recommend an oil pan stud kit rather than bolts. The gasket I used has steel anti-crush grommets which may have helped it 'hang up' on the studs long enough to get a few of the nuts started and made installation a snap!

YMMV
blackedoutharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:27 PM   #7
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackedoutharley View Post
I have used the one piece gasket for years (can't remember which one as it has been about 10 years since the pan has been off) but I highly recommend an oil pan stud kit rather than bolts. The gasket I used has steel anti-crush grommets which may have helped it 'hang up' on the studs long enough to get a few of the nuts started and made installation a snap!

YMMV
Thats a good idea..I might run the studs too.

You see, when I yanked the engine to re-seal, and clean up the engine bay, I needed a new pan, so I picked up a chrome china pan(1st mistake)....thru it together, then in a pinch, I ran down to Kragens and picked up a chrome timing cover (2nd mistake). Well, the guage material was super cheesy,. and distorted like crazy when installed.....Now, I have a nasty leak...I mean ghetto nasty.

Lesson learned...now I just need some time !!!

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:31 PM   #8
badriand

I tried a one piece don't remember the name and i couldn't get it to stop leaking in the front i went back and used an old school 4 piece and seemed to work. Have a friend that is a mechanic and he swears by the one piece but i had no luck.
badriand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 05:14 PM   #9
jchav62
1962 C-10

I run the one piece Fel-Pro...works great! My brothers-in-law are mechanics and they swear by them. They are very easy to work with too. They come with those plastic guides that hold the gasket and the pan in place with you get all the bolts started...
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/

1962 C10 Shortbed Fleetside 327/th350 GV overdrive
1974 C10 Longbed Fleetside 350/th350 "The Trash Truck"
1999 Chevy 2500 OBS, Longbed 5.7/4L80E 4x4
2015 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4x4
jchav62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:39 AM   #10
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefRocka View Post
Thats a good idea..I might run the studs too.

You see, when I yanked the engine to re-seal, and clean up the engine bay, I needed a new pan, so I picked up a chrome china pan(1st mistake)....thru it together, then in a pinch, I ran down to Kragens and picked up a chrome timing cover (2nd mistake). Well, the guage material was super cheesy,. and distorted like crazy when installed.....Now, I have a nasty leak...I mean ghetto nasty.

Lesson learned...now I just need some time !!!
When I built the motor I studded everything that made sense; oil pan, oil pump, carb, and the valve covers. It just makes everything easier to assemble. I did the one piece gasket because I had the crankcase ventilation set up wrong to begin with and my brother (jack ass) dropped the woodruff key into the timing cover when installing the balancer (when I was at work) and had to take the cover off after the bottem end was completed. Well that combined with the crankcase pressure pushed the front seal out and it was a leaking mess; so bad that when I went around a turn the oil blowing onto the headers made a cloud so big I couldnt see anybody behind me, LOL.

With the pan studs, removing and installing the pan was a snap (of course standing up underneath the truck on a hoist was much better than laying on the ground). They are very inexpensive and are well worth it.

IMHO don't waste your time with cheap chinese chrome pans or covers. Spend the money on either a Milidon stock replacement or a Factory one (if you can find it). I have had good luck with the Milidon stuff and plan on pulling my motor for a refreshening which will include new tins.

Last edited by blackedoutharley; 03-29-2008 at 11:41 AM.
blackedoutharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:39 AM   #11
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Quote:
Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
Well, my engine is recent GM replacement shortblock (2 pc. seal) w/ provision for dipstick on both sides... I'm using the driver's side dipstick location. I have the 57-74 Felpro gasket (pt # shows 03751885) and have Wiseco and Milodon stock replacement pans both with driver side dipstick... Hope I have the correct gasket... It's the one recommended by Jegs to go with my new Milodon pan 30700. (Wiseco is coming off.) ChiefRocka I hope your speedshop buddy is right!

Anyway, I'm liking the look of the FelPro because the Milodon gasket is very soft and floppy and hard to keep in place if you're installing it w/o the engine upside down on a stand.
I have now installed the new Milodon Pan and the FelPro gasket, as mentioned above. It went well but you do need the 75 and later gasket with the thick front seal (felPro1880). I used studs onthe corners and ARP bolts with washers on the rest. The Milodon pan seems to fit and install better than the Wiseco.

Last edited by billydonn; 04-12-2008 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:47 AM   #12
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC63 View Post
Thanks for the input...what year engine do you have and what Fel-Pro p/n are you using?

Two different techs at Summit told me that if you have a '57-'74 350 and are using an aftermarket oil pan (which I am), you should actually be using the '75-'85 Fel-Pro gasket which has the thicker front seal. Supposedly most (if not all) aftermarket pans require the thicker seal.

Even though the desc's below from JEGS shows the OS34510T being a right hand dip stick, that p/n actually has provisions for both sides, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Fel Pro OS-34509T - SB-Chevy
PermaDryPlus 1957-74
SBC 262-400
Left-hand dipstick

Fel Pro OS34510T - SB-Chevy
PermaDryPlus 1975-85
SBC 262-400
Right-hand dipstick
The techs were correct...but felpro 1880 is driver side dipstick and thick front seal. Numbers you quote are for gasket kits with bolts I think.

Last edited by billydonn; 04-13-2008 at 04:36 AM. Reason: spelling fix
Old 04-13-2008, 04:56 AM   #13
billydonn
Council of the Elders

I have completed the Felpro gasket installation, using the #1880 with the thick front seal. It seems to seal very well and is much easier to install than the Milodon. Felro is blue in the pics below. To be fair, I cannot for sure blame the Milodon gasket for the small leak I was fixing. And I sure do like the Milodon replacement oil pan .. the fit was excellent!

Blackedoutharley is right about the oil pan studs being pretty useful: I used the ARP studs on and near the pan corners and some little ARP bolts with washers elsewhere.
Attached Images

Last edited by billydonn; 04-13-2008 at 05:03 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:26 PM   #14
TimC63

Nice, thanks for the pics billydonn! Need to look into that p/n vs. the one's with bolts.

Nice exhaust too!