The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-04-2015, 01:21 PM   #1
DroppedMetalCustoms

Suspension guru's i need your help! stock 64 long bed

Hello guys first off im a newbie here and this is my first chevy, im a Volkswagen guy and know them like the back of my hand but being from England im not very well acquainted with the chevy running gear! so i have a one owner 64 chevy long bed with a straight 6 engine that i will be keeping, so far i have added 2" lowering springs in the front and the Jeep coils in the rear. as of now im riding nose high a little and plan on Dropping the front as low as possible on a static set up with helper bags in the rear for when i load it up with material for my shop and dirt bikes when i go racing but i just want to concentrate on the front end right now. ive read almost every thread i can find about dropping these ol chevys but there always converted to disk breaks and thats not in my budget right now and seeing as i drive slow with my straight six i dont really feel the need. so from my understanding dropped spindles are out of the question if using drum brakes that leaves me the option of modifying my stock suspension components, ive read a lot about modded A arms and im leaning towards that route, i found a good write up for modding the lower A arms with photos on the Hamb but nothing about lowers and uppers to keep all the angles and geometry correct.
Dropped cross members are typically used for bagged set ups if ive read correctly so i dont think i need to modify that, ive read about C notching the front of the frame for tie rod clearance so im not sure if ill need to do this at the moment either and im not sure i want to Z the frame instead of modding the suspension components.
im a welder fabricator of over 20years ive built many cool custom Vdubs for myself and customers i dont want to hear any negative stuff regarding cutting and welding parts or just go disk brakes and dropped spindles. please be respectful of this thread. what ever i do ill make a build thread for others like myself that want to Drop there truck on drums so they have something to help them, ill also make jigs for everything i mod like the A arms.

Thank you

Aston
DroppedMetalCustoms
DroppedMetalCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote