The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2008, 01:31 AM   #1
PipsC10

I've Been STRONGARMED!!!

This is not a complaint about Air Ride Tech's quality or performance because I think they have one of the best products out there, but check out how I received my rear strong arm system today. I know this could be from shipping, but the box was perfectly in tact and the parts were all wrapped in a foam protectant. What did you guys do, drag the parts through the wharehouse to the shipping department! I thought powder coating was not supposed to chip or scratch as easily. These are not going on a show truck, therefore I really dont care about getting them replaced, but gosh dang for 1700 bucks I want to be the first one to scratch them! Maybe that's why shipping was only 11 dollars for 196 lbs. from SUMMIT. Anyway, can't wait to get them installed.
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2008, 01:55 AM   #2
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Re: I've Been STRONGARMED!!!

My air ride box was mashed also...

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:10 AM   #3
jimmydean

Powdercoat scratches, albeit not easily. If you get it to chip, it's either poor quality powder or poss poor application.

Usually it doesn't scratch to the metal unless it's a thin application.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:31 AM   #4
PipsC10

I think it was just poor application and too thin. My front strong arms had thin weld spatter that showed through the powder coat, any good coat should have covered it. Oh well.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:59 AM   #5
scotts62
One day...

for 1700 bucks they would be going back and i would get a new set! If they couldn't do that then i would use someone elses products, i hear ya airride has some cool stuff but damn quality control man!!!

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 05:28 AM   #6
jasonb72
PorterBuilt Man Crush

They should take care of you. I had the same thing happen to one of my control arms, and they took care of the situation quickly, give them a chance before starting a bash thread.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:52 AM   #7
PipsC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb72 View Post
They should take care of you. I had the same thing happen to one of my control arms, and they took care of the situation quickly, give them a chance before starting a bash thread.

I have no doubt they will take care of it, but like I said it's not a show truck. I'm just going to touch them up with some satin black paint and call it good. I don't think someone is going to crawl under my truck and say "hey your strong arms are scratched." They will have more wear and tear from regular driving anyway, just thought for the money they should arrive perfect. No bashing Ride Tech here, I love their stuff.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:01 AM   #8
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Wow... I'm at a loss for words. I have learned that powder coat is not as strong as I once thought. While stopping by my body shop, I was talking with them, and if it receives a crack or chip, it will eventually rust out completely. It's not just my body shop, as they have the largest setup in the region, and have several contracts with some major players.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:08 AM   #9
jasonb72
PorterBuilt Man Crush

No harm, I agree that for the $$ the coat would be better, I actually wish their was an option for parts to come raw. The coat is a bit thin compared to other stuff I coated, and it only chips or scratches if I really try. I still think powder is the way to go. Just like paint as well if it scratches through the metal and not treated it will rust out. That is why I get my stuff coated, then powder cleared for an extra barrier and protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipsC10 View Post
I have no doubt they will take care of it, but like I said it's not a show truck. I'm just going to touch them up with some satin black paint and call it good. I don't think someone is going to crawl under my truck and say "hey your strong arms are scratched." They will have more wear and tear from regular driving anyway, just thought for the money they should arrive perfect. No bashing Ride Tech here, I love their stuff.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:10 AM   #10
jasonb72
PorterBuilt Man Crush

All depends on the quality, I have not had any issues with mine, and I have dropped tools and parts on it without chipping or cracking, I recommend a clear powder after coating for an extra layer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BlckButy View Post
Wow... I'm at a loss for words. I have learned that powder coat is not as strong as I once thought. While stopping by my body shop, I was talking with them, and if it receives a crack or chip, it will eventually rust out completely. It's not just my body shop, as they have the largest setup in the region, and have several contracts with some major players.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:12 AM   #11
PipsC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BlckButy View Post
I have had quite a few parts powder coated including my frame and rear end and I am really impressed so far. I use progressive powder coating in Modesto, Ca. They prep really well and lay it on thick enough for a good protective coating. I have done some rivet removing on my frame since having it coated and the thing took some blows from a chisel and hammer really well.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:14 AM   #12
PipsC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb72 View Post
All depends on the quality, I have not had any issues with mine, and I have dropped tools and parts on it without chipping or cracking, I recommend a clear powder after coating for an extra layer
just checked out one of your threads, truck looks great. My next project will have a dropmember.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:23 AM   #13
jasonb72
PorterBuilt Man Crush

Thanks,Only way to go, can't wait for the rear dropmember to show up. Actually I can't wait for the truck to be finished.

Quote:
just checked out one of your threads, truck looks great. My next project will have a dropmember.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:25 AM   #14
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Dropmembers are the way to go...

I'm not saying that powder is a bad way to go, and my body shop knows what they're doing, but I'm seen some parts that were sold by an un-named company and their PC fell off like old paint. I'm still planning on PC'n my suspension parts, so I haven't been turned away from it completely.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:49 AM   #15
bagged69chevy

Im not trying to bash Air Ride.. But I bought a sway bar from them, and it came all scratched up too.. So much so, that I returned it, and had to pay 50 buck shipping to send it back. I didnt even want a new one... I wasnt happy to say the least. It wont stop me from buying their products, but i was very disappointed.
bagged69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:37 PM   #16
jlaird

Like others said, powder on mass produced stuff and powder from a shop for a one off item is like night and day. Even though you are not going to send all that stuff back, I would email Air Ride those pictures and politely ask to be compensated something. If you need anything else from them, they might hook you up with a percentage off. Maybe try to PM Tony who is on this site. Good luck. I think you deserve something IMO.
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:25 PM   #17
hammered65

Like jlaird said, there is real powdercoating from a shop and then the mass produced stuff that I really don't consider powdercoating. My strong arms looked like yours when I got them. I wasn't too happy about it and knew they won't really do anything about how they look. Mine are all chipped now. For the price, you would think the coating would last longer.
hammered65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:39 AM   #18
scotts62
One day...

I agree! if i wanted something cheap i would have rattle canned mine, but you would think a company like that would take better care of packaging. if it was my company i would be embarased to have something like that leave that way, unless it was shippers fault but thats what insurance is for..

But ya know we all keep anyways!

93 crew cab build
Project 62
Old 05-27-2008, 04:24 AM   #19
GMBowtie79
Surviving, one day at a time!

It was most likley the shippers! I've seen them throw stuff around and if it was to heavy to pick up they would roll it out of the truck onto the ground so they could put a dolly under it. They don't care it isn't theirs, if it was they wouldn't treat it like that!
GMBowtie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:24 AM   #20
PipsC10

maybe Tony at Air ride can hook me up with a deal on my front sway bar for having to follow up their powder coating with a rattle can, but as you can see from the pictures I chose not to send them back cause they still look BAD A$$!!
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2008, 02:06 PM   #21
jlaird

Damn! That was quick! Nice job.
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:51 PM   #22
SCOTI

I had the same issue w/the ECE hidden-hitches I bought. Mass produced (thus powder-coated) parts are not the same quality as when you bring individual (or a group) of parts in to your local coater.

For the record, the hitches I bought were purchased 8yrs apart but both suffered from the same PC quality (or lack of). The stuff is easily scraped off like cheap rattle can paint (I'll still buy ECE stuff though).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 05-27-2008 at 07:55 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:10 PM   #23
PipsC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I had the same issue w/the ECE hidden-hitches I bought. Mass produced (thus powder-coated) parts are not the same quality as when you bring individual (or a group) of parts in to your local coater.

For the record, the hitches I bought were purchased 8yrs apart but both suffered from the same PC quality (or lack of). The stuff is easily scraped off like cheap rattle can paint (I'll still buy ECE stuff though).
my trans mount is from ECE and I love it. Besides my air ride stuff I try to get everything from them, they have the best customer service too. The powder coating on my trans mount was good.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:31 PM   #24
scotts62
One day...

Man that looks good! can't wait to see whole truck laid out

93 crew cab build
Project 62
Old 05-27-2008, 09:42 PM   #25
SCOTI

Quote:
my trans mount is from ECE and I love it. Besides my air ride stuff I try to get everything from them, they have the best customer service too. The powder coating on my trans mount was good.
I had mentioned my concerns about the QC of the powder coating on their hitches in another thread here. Several board members indicated their parts were top notch as far as the PC was concerned (whose opinions I value) so I figured maybe my first purchase was a fluke.

ECE's product quality is great & I've ordered several times from them so I didn't hesitate to order another hitch. But, I was again disappointed about the PC quality. If you put the hitch I just bought up against the PC'd stuff I've had done locally (Dropmember SBC), there's an obvious difference in 'film' depth. Since I was going to do some hacking on the hitch, the point was moot. I'll most likely get my local PC place to re-coat the hitch.

Kudos to you & your pops. Nice work!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 05-27-2008 at 09:43 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote