The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2010, 02:13 PM   #1
PugDad

no rpo sticker in glove box...or firewall...how else to get codes? need paint code

Hey everybody, new to the forum. Just picked up a 1977 C10 Heavy Half step side last week. Nice truck, prior restoration started, very classy six footer.

Trying to move forward on some odds and ends.
I've looked in the recommended places for the rpo sticker/label/plate, but can't seem to locate it..glovebox, firewall, doorjamb....any ideas?

Other than going to the paint shop for a custom match, how do I find out the paint code now?It has a few areas that could use a little touch up.

I looked up the paints used that year, and it looks like the paint it should be is Firethorn Red...even though my truck looks less red and more brown.
PugDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
87GMCChris

Re: no rpo sticker in glove box...or firewall...how else to get codes? need paint cod

I have the same problem with my 87, can't find any rpo stickers.

I only drive truck 6 months a year... Dam Canadian winters.
87GMCChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
hitcher

Re: no rpo sticker in glove box...or firewall...how else to get codes? need paint cod

by custom match do you mean a scan on the body of your truck ? orielys auto parts have a gadget they place on the body and get a very near match .
hitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Glad to see you made it on here PugDad. Try this and see if it helps www.AutoColorLibrary.com

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:25 AM   #5
PugDad

Hi N2TRUX...thanks for the other help

Thanks for the color chart...I didn't catch it at first, they have two sections, Chevy and Chevy Truck...I think I'm on right track.

I'll also check out O'Reilly's, hitcher, thanks for tip.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
PugDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitcher View Post
by custom match do you mean a scan on the body of your truck ? orielys auto parts have a gadget they place on the body and get a very near match .
I went to ORielys today, the guy said he never heard of such gadget

His store was a Schucks bought out by OReilly. Still has Schucks name on it, so maybe he doesn't know about any cool OReilly gadgets.

If you find out more solid info, like, what is the device called, please pass along!

Maybe I need to go to a diff OReilly store.

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #7
hitcher

hmmmm , well i dont know then . maybe its not a store that mixes paint there . when we have a vehicle at work and cant find the paint code a guy comes with a case with a scanner in it he puts against the car body . he then goes and mixes it and we get it delivered .
hitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:03 PM   #8
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Not every O'Reilly has a paint scanner, only the ones that are considered their "paint" stores will even know what it is. I'm not even sure what theirs is called (DuPont at O'Reilly if I'm not mistaken), but with our PPG paint system it is called "The Prophet". We can scan the color and plug the scanner up to our mixing computer and get a formula to mix. It is usually not an exact match, but what is considered a blendable formula.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:21 PM   #9
PugDad

If I find a O'Reilly paint store, what is the smallest quantity of paint they will mix?
Should I ask them to add hardener to the paint? Or, anything else?
Old 08-01-2010, 06:56 PM   #10
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Smallest amount is up to them, I'd guess a pint or quart. You do not get anything mixed in with the paint as far as reducer or hardner. It depends on what sort of paint you get (single stage/basecoat clearcoat) on what you'll need.
Once you mix single stage with the reducer and hardner, you have a pot life of a few hours. Basecoat reduced has a long shelf life since it has no hardner/catalyst in it.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote