The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2006, 08:47 PM   #1
Tor

Question '57 Shorty Project

My truck has been in the family since about 1962. It was originally my grandpa's, then went to my dad. I was 14 when my dad brought the truck up from southern Utah. Everything is bone stock on it - even have the original hub caps. There's very little rust and overall is in great shape. I'm at the point where we've gone through it and taken care of all the mechanical needs - new water pump, fuel pump, carb, distributor, plugs/wires, coil, heater hoses, master brake cylinder, wheel cylinders, brakes, etc. She runs like a champ! It has the original (rebuilt) 235 c.i. 6 cyl. engine and manual 4 speed tranny. Before starting on the body/paint work, I wanted to lower it 3 or 4 inches but am finding it will take more than I originally thought. I don't want to cut the frame or go to the expense of putting a different front end on it. Does anyone have any cheap/easy mod ideas or recommendations?? I'd truly appreciate any help I can get. Hopefully I can get some photos to post real soon. She's a beauty!!!!
- Tor
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:02 PM   #2
texascowboy593

Re: '57 Shorty Project

1st of all welcome to the board. You will get lots of good answers for your questions- lots of knowledge here! I have a 3 inch front drop axle on my 59 Apache with all-stock frame.Click on the link in my sig (Tracy Lee) and browse thru the thread. Youll see towards the end the stance of the truck with that drop axle under her. It came from www.classicperform.com and its roughly $399 or so. They run specials from time to time. If you want to lower the rear, maybe monoleaf rear springs are the answer? Again, Welcome aboard!!!
2014 Dodge Durango (Wife-mobile)
2008 Dodge Ram Lone Star Edition (Daily driver)
texascowboy593 is offline   Reply With Quote