The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
ST Dog

weatherstripping question

I bought new weatherstripping for the doors/glass on my '68 GMC.

The window felt along the dividing post between the window and vent looks quite different.

The kit I have is from Steele. The OEM piece looks like chromed steel, and is rigid. The felt inside is disintegrating, but looks to be riveted to the chromed part.

The new piece is not rigid, and has no holes for rivets.

1) How is the new piece supposed to be installed?
Remove the old material inside the chromed channel, and glue in or drill holes and rivet?

2) To get the old stuff out of the channel, do I need to remove the vent window (as described here )?

Should I remove the rivets or just scrape the old stuff out?
To remove those rivets, does the vent seal need to be removed first?

Do I need to remove any of the other weather stripping to get the vent out?

3) I'm not ready to repaint yet, so, if I install the vent window seals now, can they be removed undamaged later when I am ready?

I've seen mention of a rivet kit in threads about the vent seals. Where would one purchase that? Does it include the rivets for the main window felt too?

4) How do I remove the beltline weather stripping (that wipe the window) later without damaging it. The old stuff has no rubber or felt left and I pulled the clips loose with pliers, but that bet the metal core. I'd hate to do that to the new stuff when I'm ready to paint.
ST Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
mbgmike

Re: weatherstripping question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
I bought new weatherstripping for the doors/glass on my '68 GMC.

The window felt along the dividing post between the window and vent looks quite different.

The kit I have is from Steele. The OEM piece looks like chromed steel, and is rigid. The felt inside is disintegrating, but looks to be riveted to the chromed part.

The new piece is not rigid, and has no holes for rivets.
WE sell the correct ones with the stainless steel edge

1) How is the new piece supposed to be installed?
Remove the old material inside the chromed channel, and glue in or drill holes and rivet? You can do both

If its the entire rigid bar you remove the entire bar. If its just the replacement liner it is supposed to fit inside the existing

2) To get the old stuff out of the channel, do I need to remove the vent window (as described here )?

I would remove the entire assembly

Should I remove the rivets or just scrape the old stuff out?
To remove those rivets, does the vent seal need to be removed first?

Do I need to remove any of the other weather stripping to get the vent out?

Yes

3) I'm not ready to repaint yet, so, if I install the vent window seals now, can they be removed undamaged later when I am ready? Yes

I've seen mention of a rivet kit in threads about the vent seals. Where would one purchase that? Does it include the rivets for the main window felt too?

4) How do I remove the beltline weather stripping (that wipe the window) later without damaging it. The old stuff has no rubber or felt left and I pulled the clips loose with pliers, but that bet the metal core. I'd hate to do that to the new stuff when I'm ready to paint.
Small screw drive helps

picture is drawing of the liner with S/Stl edge
the second is the replacement bar
Attached Images

Last edited by mbgmike; 03-07-2010 at 01:52 PM.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #3
ST Dog

Thanks.

What weather stripping do I need to remove to get the vent assembly out?

As for Steele parts, I bought the stuff from Rubber The Right Way as part of a group buy on another forum. Though it was a good deal, but didn't not know who made the stuff til it arrived.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
Monte Carlo Man

I would say that it would make it a lot easier to take the vent window out. That channel probably pushes from one end to the other.
Monte Carlo Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
mbgmike

Quote:
Thanks.

What weather stripping do I need to remove to get the vent assembly out?

As for Steele parts, I bought the stuff from Rubber The Right Way as part of a group buy on another forum. Though it was a good deal, but didn't not know who made the stuff til it arrived.

Just the door rubber at the top and the window wipes.
Nothing wrong with Steele Rubber parts, just have to know what you are getting
Old 03-07-2010, 03:23 PM   #6
ST Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike View Post
Just the door rubber at the top and the window wipes.
Nothing wrong with Steele Rubber parts, just have to know what you are getting
I've used them in the past on my Cadillac, and didn't have any issues.

I certainly didn't know there was more than one option for that channel felt. I wasn't asked about different styles.

Do you carry the rivets for the vent window?
I don't see them on your site.
How much are they?
Old 03-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #7
mbgmike

Quote:
I've used them in the past on my Cadillac, and didn't have any issues.

I certainly didn't know there was more than one option for that channel felt. I wasn't asked about different styles.

Do you carry the rivets for the vent window?
I don't see them on your site.
How much are they?

we carry everything to do the windows
Pivot revits are 50 cents each and the division bar rubber like a $1.00 per window or we sell complete boxes of 50
Old 03-07-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
ST Dog

I'm not at all pleased with the way the beltline (window wipes) are fitting.
It's not touching the glass at all.

Either the rubber is too short, or the door is badly deformed.

Anyone know what the length of the rubber on the outer beltline should be?
What's the correct width for the gap in the door when the window goes?

I did not have this issue on my Cadillac.

Last edited by ST Dog; 03-07-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:43 PM   #9
CSGAS
optomistic ah-so

Steele would have had the version you needed, too...but it's an option you have to request at order time and from the sound of things the group buy organizer though everyone needed his type of fuzzies.

I'm also sure if you called Steele now, they want to charge you for all the right pieces; but they would tell you exactly what's different in the kit from what you need.

One reason I can share from other restos (albeit Mopar), that rivet holes are not pre-drilled is because assembly standards for vintage and antique autos were not as consistent as we expect them to be now. The rivets used at different production locations would be different sizes and different locations.

If it was me, I'd pay attention to how Mike showed up and offered to help, it goes a long way in my book in choosing who I spend money with on fixing things...but it wasn't Steele's fault so much as a backfire on the group buy concept that stuck ya with the wrong parts. Steele's expensive and don't cut anyone slack on prices usually, but that's because they have products they can be proud of.

1970 C-10 lwb Fleetside. Originally 350 2-bbl 3-on-the-tree, m/b, m/w, m/s no a/c. Currently running on a '76 Camaro 305.

Last edited by CSGAS; 03-07-2010 at 08:44 PM. Reason: clarification
CSGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:22 PM   #10
ST Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSGAS View Post
from the sound of things the group buy organizer though everyone needed his type of fuzzies.
Actually the group buy was a bunch of Cadillac guys, but the seller didn't limit it to only Cadillac parts. Good for me since I didn't need any thing for teh Cadillac at the time.

I'm still new to this truck and didn't think to ask 1) what brand the parts were, 2) if there were options.

The parts weren't listed on the seller's site, and I just asked for parts for a '68 GMC C1500.

Quote:
One reason I can share from other restos (albeit Mopar), that rivet holes are not pre-drilled is because assembly standards for vintage and antique autos were not as consistent as we expect them to be now.
Again, I've been dealing with my Cadillac for 10 years.
The vent side of the divider does have rivet holes pre-drilled.

Quote:
If it was me, I'd pay attention to how Mike showed up and offered to help, it goes a long way in my book in choosing who I spend money with on fixing things...
Mike was already on my list for a few things. And I sent a PM earlier about the rivets. Much is still in the planning stage, so I'm not buying a lot of parts yet (not to mention being unemployed for 6 months, new job, relocating, etc.) and my questions about removal without damage.

Much like Rubber the Right Way, Mike has a lot of parts that aren't listed online. Makes shopping harder.