The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-10-2018, 06:06 PM   #1
69 customcamper

69 396 carb recomendations

Hello Folks,

Common perhaps annoying question. I have a 396 custom camper and currently have a quadrajet that was reman by Holley 5 years ago. It is seeping out the top from the gasket and the accel pump shaft leaks. Overall does not run good, smells rich etc. Motor has 1500 miles and is bored .060 over. It has an edelbrock 2161 Manifold with divorced choke. Would you put another quadrajet ? Im tired of this as I have trouble shortly after getting them as I have a beautiful looking one from I just bought and the mixture screws do not respond (No vacuum leaks) and the tabs that hold the choke pull off are broke off enough to where there is nothing to hold it on tight. I think these carbs are getting to old and the re builders keep putting them together with bits and pieces of old carbs. I do not have the correct original which is why I keep buying rebuilt ones. I have a cam in it that is good for low rpm range torque and wonder if there are other options that would be reliable and good on fuel. I do not need mega horsepower although I realize for this motor it must be the right CFM. I do not think an edelbrock carb is the way to go...... I wish carter was still in buisness !!! Good ole carter AFB.

Mike
69 customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote