The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2018, 10:18 PM   #1
Stephen717

Clutch problems

Hi everyone, I know it's been awhile since I have posted anything. Work has been crazy lately. But we have a new building to work out of and the boss said I can tow the truck over Friday so he can help me finish wiring it. My main problem right now is all the other problems it has. I know I have to go through all the brakes and put in a new emergency brake cable. I'm still trying to figure out if I can use both the battery, temp and oil guages I got in the gauge cluster from the dump truck and have my warning lights work like in later model trucks. Have to patch a few holes until I can get a replacement bed. Hopefully I can find a nos bed to change out with. And I'm still looking for fenders to trade the 67 fenders I have. But the problem that worries me the most is the clutch. When the po rebuilt the truck the first time I'm guessing he used it as a shop truck and threw it together with whatever leftover parts he could find. So I have a 250 (that I'm currently collecting parts to rebuild it over the winter) that has an insanely stiff clutch. I don't know if he used a clutch out of a dump truck or something but I almost need to use both my feet to change gears in the thing. I don't know what to do to lighten it up and leave the heavy duty clutch in it either. Can anyone help me out.

Thanks,
Stephen

Last edited by Stephen717; 09-11-2018 at 10:51 PM.
Stephen717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:04 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Clutch problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen717 View Post
Hi everyone, I know it's been awhile since I have posted anything. Work has been crazy lately. But we have a new building to work out of and the boss said I can tow the truck over Friday so he can help me finish wiring it. My main problem right now is all the other problems it has. I know I have to go through all the brakes and put in a new emergency brake cable. I'm still trying to figure out if I can use both the battery, temp and oil guages I got in the gauge cluster from the dump truck and have my warning lights work like in later model trucks. Have to patch a few holes until I can get a replacement bed. Hopefully I can find a nos bed to change out with. And I'm still looking for fenders to trade the 67 fenders I have. But the problem that worries me the most is the clutch. When the po rebuilt the truck the first time I'm guessing he used it as a shop truck and threw it together with whatever leftover parts he could find. So I have a 250 (that I'm currently collecting parts to rebuild it over the winter) that has an insanely stiff clutch. I don't know if he used a clutch out of a dump truck or something but I almost need to use both my feet to change gears in the thing. I don't know what to do to lighten it up and leave the heavy duty clutch in it either. Can anyone help me out.

Thanks,
Stephen
There are two different pressure plates. I'm betting yours has the Borg & Beck pressure plate in it (three fingers for the throwout bearing to ride on. They are a lot stiffer. If you change to the diaphram type pressure plate it will be easier to push. If you change the pressure plate you will also have to change the throwout bearing. They are different lengths.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:43 AM   #3
mike16

We used to put 12 inch truck clutches on these things, they were stiffer but it never warrented a complaint. make sure its all lubed up and has a proper return spring and lever geometry.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:02 AM   #4
palallin

My '69 has a 12" B&B, and the pedal effort isn't hard enough to warrant any change.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:21 PM   #5
cleszkie

Bad motor mounts can cause the z-bar to bind and give hard pedal. At least this is the case with V8 engines where one end of the z-bar is supported on a ball stud that is threaded into the engine block. Not sure if this applies to straight six set ups.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:39 PM   #6
Bonestock3ott

I had an 83 S10 with a 4 speed and the clutch pedal was extremely stiff. Turned out some of the fingers? the throw out bearing presses against were collapsed/broken. Replaced the clutch assembly, no more stiff pedal.
Bonestock3ott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:09 PM   #7
Stephen717

Thanks for all the replies. Like I said I am towing my truck over to the new company shop. When it's there i plan on rebuilding the little 250 so I will be able to see what kind of clutch is in it.
Stephen717 is offline   Reply With Quote