The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #1
katyjevoich76

big block 4x4 with headers 4 speed ?

will stock clutch linkage and sm 465 bolt right into my truck the truck came from the factory with 350 350t and 205 now it has a 454 with long tube headers the rest is the same.I know the 4 speed came stock in some trucks and will bolt up but im wondering if i will have to use a hydraulic clutch set up I would rather go stock if i can
katyjevoich76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
Blazer1970

Re: big block 4x4 with headers 4 speed ?

It is highly unlikely that the stock clutch linkage would fit with your headers. The stock linkage sucks anyway, so I would highly recommend going hydraulic. I think '85 - '87(91) factory parts will work if you use the late model bell housing. I am not sure what was the first year for the hyd. clutch, '85 is a guess.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:36 PM   #3
katyjevoich76

If I use the 87-91 slave and bell housing how difficult will it be to adapt the pedals to the master cylinder ? Should i get the pedals out of the donor also? What is the issue with the stock linkage could it be modified or not worth the trouble
katyjevoich76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
WILE E

OK Have done this in my blazer. Fairly simply if you are comfortable working with metal. I removed the giant spring from the clutch pedal under the dash and used the hole in the pedal as my mounting point for the master cylinder piston connection. With the pedal in the returned position, up, i went straight forward to mark the fire wall. Drilled my holes acourding to the measurements of the master cylinder. As far as the slave cylinder, i made a bracket from 3/8 steel to mount to 2 bellhousing bolts. Need to use a 1/2 inch spacer behind the bracket on the upper bolt. When you look you will see what i mean. Connect the hose and bleed. Works great!! plenty of travel with the pedal. I am running a Hayes extreme service clutch behind a big block, street cruiser / off road. My master and slave cylinders came from J C whitney out of the Jeep book in the v8 swap section. Total cost was about $200.00
WILE E is offline   Reply With Quote