The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2010, 01:05 AM   #1
KB71C10BBSUPER

1971 Special paint Code

I caught a little info on the rarest paint colors, So I thought I would check to see if someone knew this code 4001WA or if someone has it on their spid. I believe it is a Silver but not sure if it is 2 tone. Thanks
KB71C10BBSUPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:51 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: 1971 Special paint Code

I guess if it was 2 tone another color would have been listed.Are/were there moldings on the truck?It would be so rare that it'll be hard to find both solid and 2-tone to compare.I'd like more info on the truck and what else is on the spid.Is this your truck?I had one (69) that was a light gray non-metallic but never wrote the code down.I guess the spid just listed it as "special paint",right?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
KB71C10BBSUPER

This is my truck. I have owned it for 18yrs. and knew the owner 10yrs. before that. Just as my ID says. This is a 1971 C10, Cheyenne Super, Big Block, Shortbed. There were/are upper & lower mouldings, woodgrain lower. upper & lower tailgate mouldings with woodgrain tailgate plate. No roof separation moulding. This was a daily driver and work horse for years, but it is time to freshen it back up & I am not sure if I want to paint it back to the Orig color. When I bought it, it was Silver and had 1 repaint on it. The gentleman I bought it from was in the process of painting it again with Gray spray bombs. I repainted it Lemans Blue & White. Here is a picture of the spid.
Thanks
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #4
68C10HotRod

That is one nice set of options - BB, TH400, Posi, Tilt, Tach, AC, PS, PB, chrome bumper AND special paint all in a SWB. I'd do some research with GM or old paint code books or something deeper to find out exactly what that color was. Is there any extra stamping on the door jamb VIN plate that might help you? Wonder if someone has a restoration guide would be able to help? If it was a nice color & you liked it, would be super cool to keep it original - just for the RARITY factor.

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.” - Benjamin Franklin
"And those who know what's best for us, Must rise and save us from ourselves" - RUSH lyric (mockery)

Last edited by 68C10HotRod; 11-01-2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: more options
68C10HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:43 PM   #5
cheyenne shortstep

My '72 Cheyenne is silver, special paint code 4001 CA. I did find it in an old color chip book in the archives of a paint store years ago. It is a kinda blah silver, [dash is near perfect] I think I am going with Cortez Silver.
cheyenne shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:30 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

That is a fine '71 for sure.Usually I've seen special paint on a fleet vehicle but yours sure was no company truck,I'd think.I see your truck (and maybe cheyenne shortstep's) as maybe being ordered by some dealer who was into setting some sweet special rides on his lot.Both seem to be something special.Silver w/blue interior is a stand out combo,especially for a truck.I see it was solid paint since a two-tone would have had the paint divider at the bottom roofline.Cool truck! I'd want it back to original,yet unless it's single stage it's updated.I might be tempted to go with Cortez Silver,too.It may not be exact,but a period correct color and it's not like it's a production color that everybody would know was off.It all depends on how original you want.You don't see stuff like this everyday.
I just noticed it also had camper mirrors.You don't usually see those on a truck like that.May have been ordered as a tow vehicle...for a race car?I think I'm fantasizing now

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
KB71C10BBSUPER

When I bought the truck it had signs of a camper being installed. The truck was a driver, but as I said the owner was in the process of painting it battleship gray with a spray bomb. After finding the orig seat he had left at his old house, I found some of the Build sheet that showed it was sent to Guardian Chev. in Brea, Ca. They have long since closed. I have only seen one blurp on the internet about them. I am hoping to track down a orig owner. Because of one of my past post. Where as this truck had an LS6 sitting in it.
I thank everyone for their help on this.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:20 PM   #8
71 super

My big block truck is optioned very similarly to this truck. Big mirrors, step bumper but no sliding rear window or special paint- it is also a short bed. Was told they used it to drag smaller camper when new.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #9
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

In my Truck Data Book for 1969, in the section labeled "Paints" is the following note at the bottom of the page: "In addition to the wide selection of standard colors offered on Chevrolet trucks, virtually any special color can be obtained on order for two or more trucks. For details and prices on special paints, consult the Chevrolet Zone Office."

So, there should be at least one more truck that was painted the same color as your truck, but the paint code you showed isn't in my book or on the paint charts.

There's a story in my small town of a guy who ordered a new Ford in '62. That same year, Chevy had a gold color called Anniversary Gold (1912-1962). So, he wanted his new Ford to be unpainted. It was....completely assembled and not a speck of paint on it anywhere. The dealership of the day included a guy who is my age, so the story is true.

The point is that anyone could specify a particular paint color (as stated above) and as long as there was a least 2 of them on the order, it could be done. In addition, interior color/exterior paint combos were suggested combinations. If you ordered a green truck with a red interior, you could get it.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.

Last edited by ChevLoRay; 11-02-2010 at 07:24 PM.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote