The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2010, 11:35 PM   #1
Trip59
Who needs sleep...

Door popper location?

Shaving my doors soon, I'm wondering the best location for the poppers on our trucks... anyone have a location or even better, a picture?

Trip
Trip59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:05 AM   #2
mstrgrn

Re: Door popper location?

Don't have a pic but when I did then I put them in the holes of the fenders (at least the drivers side had the hole drilled) top part of the fender about 6 in in. Yeah you have to pop the hood but it's only ifyou don't have the key fob. The rubber boots combined with the location to me didn't seem obvious but I guess if they want it they will take regardless. I actually left the pops there after I gave up on the shaved doors cause it didn't look out of place but the empty holes did. If I can I will get a photo tomorrow, but I leave in the dark, return in the dark so maybe this weekend if you still want a photo of location.

Also something I continplated for some time but never completed - using an tc car battery hookup in case the battery died. Or you can just use that if you have a key fob. No ones gonna know what those connectios are for or have that specific batt to break in

Just a thought
mstrgrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:28 AM   #3
Trip59
Who needs sleep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrgrn View Post
Don't have a pic but when I did then I put them in the holes of the fenders (at least the drivers side had the hole drilled) top part of the fender about 6 in in. Yeah you have to pop the hood but it's only ifyou don't have the key fob. The rubber boots combined with the location to me didn't seem obvious but I guess if they want it they will take regardless. I actually left the pops there after I gave up on the shaved doors cause it didn't look out of place but the empty holes did. If I can I will get a photo tomorrow, but I leave in the dark, return in the dark so maybe this weekend if you still want a photo of location.

Also something I continplated for some time but never completed - using an tc car battery hookup in case the battery died. Or you can just use that if you have a key fob. No ones gonna know what those connectios are for or have that specific batt to break in

Just a thought
Thanks, I meant the spring loaded poppers, the pins that pop the door out... sorry. I bought a remote kit, and will be including a mechanical backup with a key, but I'm wondering if there's a prime place to put the popper itself.

Trip
Old 02-23-2010, 01:31 AM   #4
mstrgrn

Prime spot - not sure I just bolted mine in where it would interfere with the window crank
Old 02-23-2010, 01:33 AM   #5
Trip59
Who needs sleep...

I mean this part

Trip

Last edited by Trip59; 02-23-2010 at 01:33 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-23-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
mstrgrn

LMAO - I was throughly confused - first the extra button, then the linkage pull - now i know what you are talking about.

I bought them - never found a place for them and then wound up getting a different set of doors anyway, went back to handles. - SO where i though i could be of assistance - I cannot. Sorry Trip
Old 02-23-2010, 12:41 PM   #7
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

I'm thinking it's probably in the lowest, rear most portion of the door frame. The thing I'm concerned about is if this will bend the door sheet metal. It doesn't appear to be very stout there and with a little bit of rust issues I'm worried the popper might punch through the door at some point. I'm about to do this myself and although I seem to have good sheet metal, I don't want to bend that door corner.

I've also heard about installing them in the front edge of the door. Basically between the firewall and the door if that makes sense. I don't know how well that worked however.

I'll be watching this thread closely since I'm about to start drilling and installing myself.

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:50 PM   #8
Trip59
Who needs sleep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrgrn View Post
LMAO - I was throughly confused - first the extra button, then the linkage pull - now i know what you are talking about.

I bought them - never found a place for them and then wound up getting a different set of doors anyway, went back to handles. - SO where i though i could be of assistance - I cannot. Sorry Trip
No worries! There are so many ways to refer to the same things, and different things... that's why I posted the pic. I'll be removing the handles and lock inside and out, there will be buttons on the dash for doors to open and windows to lower-raise (when I finally do those) as well as a cable handle under the dash to open the doors in the event of a failure. Emergency button and cable under the hood as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I'm thinking it's probably in the lowest, rear most portion of the door frame. The thing I'm concerned about is if this will bend the door sheet metal. It doesn't appear to be very stout there and with a little bit of rust issues I'm worried the popper might punch through the door at some point. I'm about to do this myself and although I seem to have good sheet metal, I don't want to bend that door corner.

I've also heard about installing them in the front edge of the door. Basically between the firewall and the door if that makes sense. I don't know how well that worked however.

I'll be watching this thread closely since I'm about to start drilling and installing myself.
I'm not going to use the little plate on it's own, though it is surprisingly stout, I plan to reinforce the area as well, since I'll be in there welding up holes and rust. It would be humorous, in a dark humor sort of way, to install them, shut the door and have the bot pop out through a cloud of rust though...

I thought about having them by the hinges, but it doesn't seem like there would be enough umph to do the job. The lock side doesn't have any real large flat areas, I figure someone must have done it before and either said "gee, that's the perfect place, I sure am happy" or "damnit, I wish I'd have put them over there instead of right here..."

Trip
Old 02-23-2010, 01:09 PM   #9
wancosc356
I Like Mine With No Shine!

Just thinking logically here....

Why not put them in the bottom rear edge? There is a flat corner there on the door, as well as a flat spot on the cab to mount the popper.

I don't have any experience with door poppers though, so I could be talking nonsense.

1967 Chevrolet C10 Short Fleet (Literal Ground Up....One Day)
2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 4x4
1969 Lincoln Continental Coupe Project FOR SALE
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...ct=4578&cat=17
1981 Honda CM400 C Bobber SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384152
wancosc356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:28 PM   #10
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by wancosc356 View Post

Why not put them in the bottom rear edge? There is a flat corner there on the door, as well as a flat spot on the cab to mount the popper.

I don't have any experience with door poppers though, so I could be talking nonsense.
When I did my previous '68, that is where I put mine. Worked okay but the poppers I had, had rubber boots on the ends and over time they cracked and were going to fall off. Removed them and put the handles back on when I sold it.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:50 PM   #11
matthufham

although i havent done my truck i'm doing suicide doors/shaved handles on my camaro. i'm putting it in the jamb (hinge side). the poppers are usually adjustable for strength. those camaro doors are HEAVY, and it works enough to get it popped, not swung open, which is what i want.

Last edited by matthufham; 02-23-2010 at 02:51 PM.
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:25 PM   #12
Trip59
Who needs sleep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthufham View Post
although i havent done my truck i'm doing suicide doors/shaved handles on my camaro. i'm putting it in the jamb (hinge side). the poppers are usually adjustable for strength. those camaro doors are HEAVY, and it works enough to get it popped, not swung open, which is what i want.
The ones I have aren't adjustable (see pic above)... what brand are you using/where did you get them; most importantly, what is the OD of the shaft (so I know if I can swap those in if mine don't work ) Bigger is fine, if they're smaller than mine, that would mean the hole would be too big.

Though... I wonder, if it's not enough, couldn't I just put a second one, thus doubling the strength?

I like the hinge side idea, I'm clumsy by nature, if it's sticking out, I'm sure to get dings on my shins, legs, etc. wherever it is if it's on the latch side...

Trip
Old 02-23-2010, 04:30 PM   #13
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wancosc356 View Post

Ummmm, that's what we were just talking about above.

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:34 PM   #14
wancosc356
I Like Mine With No Shine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Ummmm, that's what we were just talking about above.
Haha. I guess I wasn't awake when I posted.

1967 Chevrolet C10 Short Fleet (Literal Ground Up....One Day)
2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 4x4
1969 Lincoln Continental Coupe Project FOR SALE
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...ct=4578&cat=17
1981 Honda CM400 C Bobber SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384152
wancosc356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:41 PM   #15
Richard H.
Spanked once

Hey Trip,
"I like the hinge side idea, I'm clumsy by nature, if it's sticking out, I'm sure to get dings on my shins, legs, etc. wherever it is if it's on the latch side..."
Then you are getting in backwards...lol I am doing my doors now only with bear claws in the pillars , I went out and looked and it does seem 2 in the front of the doors would be the most desirable location. my doors are bare so I don't know about window clearance. Your door rubber will push it to the safety catch...I will check it more tomorrow ,I'm using one piece windows so my finger tips will probably open the door the rest of the way.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #16
Trip59
Who needs sleep...

I just went out and propped one in the front edge of the door (hinge side) and it didn't budge. I held it in the latch side, bottom corner, and it popped beautifully.

I'm going to see if I can put it not on the outside edge, but in the ledge where the sill is, then the part that sticks out would be just over the rocker in the corner... either that or next to the rubber bumper.

The only downside there is that I'll have to wait until I replace the outer floor and rockers... though the upside there is, knowing I'm replacing them, I can weld in some reinforcements and try it out in a couple places before I replace them without having to worry about making a hole in the wrong place.

Trip
Old 02-23-2010, 08:55 PM   #17
Richard H.
Spanked once

If I had known that I might use poppers and while I was out looking for you , I thought man that would be the perfect spot... Mine are done but if I had a do over that is where I would pick.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:15 PM   #18
Trip59
Who needs sleep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard H. View Post
If I had known that I might use poppers and while I was out looking for you , I thought man that would be the perfect spot... Mine are done but if I had a do over that is where I would pick.
Where did you think would be perfect? I'm feeling a bit dense this evening...

Where did you put yours again? Do you have a pic? Do they work there?

~Trip
Old 02-23-2010, 10:30 PM   #19
Richard H.
Spanked once

My meaning is my rockers and floor are done,where the rocker rolls up to the pillar...is what I thought you were saying. Once you put them in there it would be forever tho.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:42 PM   #20
Trip59
Who needs sleep...

Ah, yes, I'm going to play with it a bit, try out a couple of locations before I do all the repairs. I really thought there was like, one perfect place for them...

Trip
Old 02-24-2010, 11:01 PM   #21
matthufham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip59 View Post
The ones I have aren't adjustable (see pic above)... what brand are you using/where did you get them; most importantly, what is the OD of the shaft (so I know if I can swap those in if mine don't work ) Bigger is fine, if they're smaller than mine, that would mean the hole would be too big.

Though... I wonder, if it's not enough, couldn't I just put a second one, thus doubling the strength?

I like the hinge side idea, I'm clumsy by nature, if it's sticking out, I'm sure to get dings on my shins, legs, etc. wherever it is if it's on the latch side...

Trip
yea using different hinges for the suicide doors and welding bracing everywhere makes it pretty different. there's a slight angle built into my poppers, with a angle to the popper and a dip in the door skin to counter the angle. if you search door poppers on ebay there's a bunch like mine. i mean if you want it hinge side like mine it'll probably be alot of hacking and welding. so i'd go lower corner latch side. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote