The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2004, 04:19 PM   #1
BOSS
Just here to help

How about some taillight help?

Hey guys i am haveing a little trouble with the taillights on the 4x4,i am getting both turn signals working at the same time and cant seem to figure out why.I have tried the wireing diagram and traced all of the wires and it seems to be wired correctly.I am not getting any tail lights or anything else either.Any ideas what i amy be doing wrong?Thanx.........James
BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 04:50 PM   #2
jef5150
Inline 69

been there...

Quote:
I am not getting any tail lights
the rear parking lights are on the same fuse as the dash lights,see if the dash lights work,if not probably the fuse. also for the rear brake lights you could try unplugging the brake light switch behind the pedal and jump the connector ,brake lights should lite up. could be bad bulbs or bad grounds. just a couple things to try for now. jeff
jef5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 05:11 PM   #3
purple gas

good luck to you.Jeff is right, start with fuses and your under dash connections. I nearly tore my hair out with my lights. Use your test light. If you don't have one GET ONE. A cheap one will do, grab a couple new bulbs while your there, you'll use them some day. Ground was one of my gremlins. Make sure you got good ground from your box to your frame. Make sure your connections are clean. Sand paper makes a big differnce, inside the bulb housings can always do with a cleaning. Test the connector under the back of the box, if there's no power there try the one in the firewall. on mine the wires from the firewall to the back were all brittle & cracked- sometimes they worked, sometimes they didn't. I bought 16' of 4 wire (long bed) that closely matched the existing colour codes and spliced it in.Take lots of deep breaths, and prepare to swear a lot. it's a 2 fillament system. One is tail lights, the other is brake/signal.

Last edited by purple gas; 11-21-2004 at 05:13 PM.
purple gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 08:24 PM   #4
BOSS
Just here to help

Thanx guys it will give me something to try tomorrow.
BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote