The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
NC_John

Ready to Install New Underpad/Carpet

OK. I received my new underlay pad (from GMCPaul) and OE style carpet from Classic Industries. The carpet does not have holes for anything- not for the highbeam switch, not for the seat bolts (if it goes back that far- I haven't fit it yet).

Anybody got any tips on how to install this right the first time? I did an LMC rubber floor in a pickup truck and it was a real mess. It was not formed at all like they said it would be. I was never happy with how it got fitted and do NOT want to mess up this one.

Thanks

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
jocko

Re: Ready to Install New Underpad/Carpet

Interesting - I'd have assumed it came with grommeted holes. I'm getting ready to buy carpet also, so I'm curious if, when folks chime in to help, if they could comment on whether or not all carpet mfgrs do not put holes/grommets for the obvious stuff. I hate to say it, but if other mfgrs provide holes, I'd return it and buy another. GMC Pauls is normally great stuff, so maybe every mfgr is that way... ??
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Interesting - I'd have assumed it came with grommeted holes. I'm getting ready to buy carpet also, so I'm curious if, when folks chime in to help, if they could comment on whether or not all carpet mfgrs do not put holes/grommets for the obvious stuff. I hate to say it, but if other mfgrs provide holes, I'd return it and buy another. GMC Pauls is normally great stuff, so maybe every mfgr is that way... ??
I got some of the stuff from GMCPauls but not the carpet. GMCPauls website is very light on details and there aren't any pictures so I was nervous about getting the carpet from them. I got the underpad from them and it wasn't what I expected either - the underpad insulation was just that very thin white foam packing wrap instead of the thick insulating material on the factory pad I removed.

There is a local vendor I just discovered - Dixie Truck Parts - I need to check them out. That way I can look at stuff before I buy or accept it.

I'm curious to hear too if other guys have gotten carpet sets are a little more "complete" The quality of this one looks nice and the edge has a sewn hem but no holes for the dimmer switch, accelerator pedal or seat bolts is a major pain. Especially the dimmer switch. How am I going to cut that out and not do a butcher job?

Old 08-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
Lee H

The carpet kit I got was Trim Parts brand. Very nice, sewed on welted edging, nice thick rubber heel pads, jute padding, went from front fire wall padding to gas tank. No holes, even for the high beam switch but did include a grommet to fit in after you make the hole. I glued in my carpet to the dynamat and then used a punch to locate the holes and used a soldering gun to enlarge the holes and melt the carpet to avoid snagging as the screws/bolts were installed.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703

Last edited by Lee H; 08-12-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
OregonNed

Subscribing
Old 08-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
gotchamel

I just recently did this install.I first put a layer of Fat Mat,the carpet I bought had the jute padding already attached.Put it out in the sun for several hours to relax it.once I positioned it in the cab being sure it was located right I used a awl and poked holes thru the carpet from underside of cab ,once hole was punched I held the mark perfectly with my fingertip and used a sharp razor knife to make bolt holes,dimmer etc.Once I cut the hole by making a small X I put the bolt in immediately.
Posted via Mobile Device
gotchamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #7
JOJABOY

Subscribing as well. Ready to buy carpet. I want to get the best for the buck. Was also thinking of lining floor with that "FrostKing" insulating duct wrap stuff and then laying new carpet. Anyone used the FrostKing stuff as a cheap sound barrier substitute for Dynomat????
JOJABOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #8
FLDBRED

I don't think any carpet is going to have the holes already in them. When I did mine, I just put all the bolts back in and fitted the carpet over them, this way I could feel for the bolts and cut around them. For the shifter I just measured the distance from the fiewall and centers, then cut an X to slide over the shifter and once it was set right trimed from there. It wasn't as hard as I thought!
FLDBRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #9
1972Blaze

I've heard that a hole saw running backward is great for making holes in carpet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
1972Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #10
FirstOwner69

I did mine last fall. After positioning the carpet, I used an awl (actually an Ice pick) from below, marked the spots with a white marker and used a hole saw IN REVERSE for the holes. It worked well. It needed about 25-27 holes since I have buckets and a console. There are no holes in the carpet due to the different seat options and variations from truck to truck.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #11
Toxic Orange

I saw the soldering gun gun trick on TV and that seemed to work very slick. Guess the same idea when cutting nylon rope and using a lighter to seal the ends.
Toxic Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #12
NC_John

Thanks guys- lots of good ideas here. I have some dynamat I was going to put under the underlay under the carpet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 08-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #13
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
I did mine last fall. After positioning the carpet, I used an awl (actually an Ice pick) from below, marked the spots with a white marker and used a hole saw IN REVERSE for the holes. It worked well. It needed about 25-27 holes since I have buckets and a console. There are no holes in the carpet due to the different seat options and variations from truck to truck.
I can see all the variations but won't all of this generation have the high beam switch on the floor? That one would have been nice to have grommeted.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 08-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #14
LS1RedZ

Subscribed as well. I need some carpet for my light green/ white combo truck. Y'all think the "aqua" would look good?
Posted via Mobile Device
LS1RedZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:10 PM   #15
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1RedZ View Post
Subscribed as well. I need some carpet for my light green/ white combo truck. Y'all think the "aqua" would look good?
Posted via Mobile Device
A lot of the parts places can send samples..... That would be your best bet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 08-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #16
NC_John

Re: Ready to Install New Underpad/Carpet - Wish I knew this now!

If y'all remember, I was pissing and moaning about the OER carpet kit I got from classic industries not having a grommet in place for the dimmer switch.

I got their parts catalog in the mail this week and while wearing out the pages noticed that the ACC carpet kit (for just $10 more) DOES have a grommeted hole for the dimmer. Nuts. Wish I saw that when I ordered but IMO their website is terrible....

So anybody else looking to get a carpet kit, maybe consider the ACC kit and at least have one installation issue taken care of.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #17
gonnuts

My carpet was from ACC and didn't have a hole or grommet. I wasn't real happy with the quality of carpet either, but don't have anything to compare it to. I find it very thin and you can see right through the loops to the black backing if you look close. If it was black carpet it would be fine but not with red.I wanted trim parts but my dealer took it upon himself to order ACC
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #18
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnuts View Post
My carpet was from ACC and didn't have a hole or grommet. I wasn't real happy with the quality of carpet either, but don't have anything to compare it to. I find it very thin and you can see right through the loops to the black backing if you look close. If it was black carpet it would be fine but not with red.I wanted trim parts but my dealer took it upon himself to order ACC
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
My ACC carpet did not have a grommet installed. One was included though if I recall correctly. Had to cut the hole myself.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:11 PM   #19
Mister-B
Account Suspended

You're doing a quality job there. Way to go.

I was at a car show today, and saw a car with patina similar to yours, except for he clear coated it. I think it looks incredible, and your truck would look awesome if you did that

Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #20
swamp rat

I got my carpet from Wes at www.Classicheartbeat.com it had a grommet in place for the high beam switch, and if i remember correctly a couple holes for the forward firewall fasteners too, no holes for the seat brackets but they are easy and it was molded for my trucks high hump floor. Give him a call

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #21
Mister-B
Account Suspended

In just realized I didn't post to your build thread like I thought I did.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:45 PM   #22
71 super

It is the standard for the carpet to come without any holes due to variations, so this is not wrong. The awl idea is a good one, and another is to install the bolts for seat, belts etc, use a razor blade and press down while cutting an "x" across the bolt head. Take out carpet to remove bolts and reinstall carpet. The "x" will allow you to install bolts but will hide holes after installed.
Posted via Mobile Device
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #23
71 super

Also the thin pad you spoke of is a repop of the factory material, it was laid on top of a asphalt sound deadening material , the foam pad is like what the factory used.
Posted via Mobile Device
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #24
FLDBRED

Also when it comes time to reinstall the seat, make sure the brackets are at the same position,meaning both sides are pushed all the way up or where evere, as long as both sides are equal. Otherwise it will never line up!
FLDBRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #25
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 super View Post
Also the thin pad you spoke of is a repop of the factory material, it was laid on top of a asphalt sound deadening material , the foam pad is like what the factory used.
Posted via Mobile Device
I got an underpad from GMCPauls. The rubber was very thin and the foam was similar to what they pack flatscreen TV's with. Pretty useless stuff.

I put the original back in and used the thin rubber mat I bought overtop it. I even put some dynamat I had under all that and it was remarkable how quiet the cab was- even with the windows open. When I gut the interior to do the cab corners and rockers, I am going to dynamat the rest of the cab (floor under the seat and behind the gas tank on the back wall of the cab).