The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #1

Exclamation sbc wont start right

So a few days ago i went to start my truck and i noticed it was shaking more than normal. well i concluded it was missing out. so i realized my plug wires were old and might me the culprit. well driving it home it started runnung weird, it had bo torque at low rpms and would take off at higher rpms, and if i let off gas it would die . so the next day ibought new plugwires cap rotor and coil (HEI)

when i removed rotor i noticed bushings were out on weights but i put back to gether to see what would happen... this time it would idle but still missed and no low end power . i thought about the weights and replaced the whole distributor and now it starts hard (turns over a few times only hits on like one or two cylinders then smooths out.. same if hot or cold) old distributor it would start with only like 1/4 revolution seemed like. but when it starts with new distributor it runs really good idles most of the time has toque etc... just starts hard but no matter if its hot or cold still does it and i have to feather gas pedal for it to start.. PLEASE HELP CAR SHOW In a week!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
3970010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: sbc wont start right

What's your initial timing set at?
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
What's your initial timing set at?
i had it at 12* but doesnt seem to run right, i had to turn up idle and it seemed like it wasnt burning all the fuel based on exhaust smell
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
geezer#99

Have you confirmed #1 is on tdc and your timing tab and mark on your balancer are correct?
When you turned up the idle your carb was working on the power circuit. That's why it smells.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Have you confirmed #1 is on tdc and your timing tab and mark on your balancer are correct?
When you turned up the idle your carb was working on the power circuit. That's why it smells.
i would guess that the loop hole lined up with line on balancer is TDC, it started great before i put new distributor in so i just marked where rotor was pointing and new one slid in just fine point in same direction, but no matter wich way i turn distributor it seems to not start correct.. but after it starts runs like a song
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #6
geezer#99

So what do you mean exactly "starts hard"?
Has a hard time turning over or cranks a bunch before it starts.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:17 PM   #7

Quote:
So what do you mean exactly "starts hard"?
Has a hard time turning over or cranks a bunch before it starts.
turns over no prob, turns for a couple seconds then start hittin on a couple cylinders then i feather gas pedal and it comes to life smooth... soneines it will die at idle but start it again and it will idle fine... and drive good
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #8
geezer#99

What carb?
Choke working?
Old 08-25-2013, 10:41 PM   #9

Quote:
What carb?
Choke working?
edelbrock carb not sure what size, choke is electric, closed until gets warm then slowly opens as it should
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #10
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Is the new distributor new, rebuilt or used? Did you put the new cap and rotor on it? Which coil are you using?

Is the firing order OK? I assume it would be if you say it does run good at times but I would still check it.

Any vacuum leaks?
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:50 PM   #11
geezer#99

Do you step on the pedal once to set the choke or do you pump it a bunch?
Choke plate should open up to about 1/4 inch gap right after it starts then slowly open.
It might be not opening enough.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
Is the new distributor new, rebuilt or used? Did you put the new cap and rotor on it? Which coil are you using?

Is the firing order OK? I assume it would be if you say it does run good at times but I would still check it.

Any vacuum leaks?
i will check firing order for fourth time haha, but i think its okay distributor is suposidly new i bought off a friend and it came out of a running chevelle 454, he said it had a bigger coil in it not sure what tho . i guess it possibly has vacuum leak i took off intake because it was leaking oil at front of block, but it ran the same with old distributor before and after, woth old distributr it would start within the second you turned key it just missed at idle and had nonpower until 2000rpm so input new distributor in and now its kinda opposite
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-25-2013, 11:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Do you step on the pedal once to set the choke or do you pump it a bunch?
Choke plate should open up to about 1/4 inch gap right after it starts then slowly open.
It might be not opening enough.
i dont pump it i wont start if i do that. i just give it about and inch of throttle and it starts rough .when its hot choke open all the way and starts same way
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-25-2013, 11:17 PM   #14
geezer#99

Maybe it's flooding a hair. Too much fuel pressure. Eddy's like a max of 5.5 lbs.
Next time you shut it off when it's warmed up completely look inside the carb for any wisps of vapour. Shouldn't be anything visible. Same for when it's idling. Look inside. Shouldn't see any raw fuel at all.
Do you have a heat isolation plate under your carb?
Old 08-25-2013, 11:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Maybe it's flooding a hair. Too much fuel pressure. Eddy's like a max of 5.5 lbs.
Next time you shut it off when it's warmed up completely look inside the carb for any wisps of vapour. Shouldn't be anything visible. Same for when it's idling. Look inside. Shouldn't see any raw fuel at all.
Do you have a heat isolation plate under your carb?
i have a 1"? aluminum riser, i open up choke plate and saw very small drop lets on plates. however i have adjusted carb every wich way and seems to do same
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-25-2013, 11:37 PM   #16
geezer#99

So it's flooding a touch. You could try lowering the floats a touch or install a fuel regulator between your fuel pump and your carb.
Likely better to do the regulator.
I've used one like this.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-9710/overview/
Old 08-25-2013, 11:50 PM   #17

Quote:
So it's flooding a touch. You could try lowering the floats a touch or install a fuel regulator between your fuel pump and your carb.
Likely better to do the regulator.
I've used one like this.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-9710/overview/
but why would it do this all the sudden? and to prove your theory correct i will try gravity feeding it tomorrow. i appreciate your help a lot! im 17 with a lot left to learn.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-26-2013, 12:02 AM   #18
geezer#99

Maybe you got some different gas, change in outside temperature, change in the weather. Lots of things happen for no explainable reason.
I had one that drove me crazy. Changed every time I drove it. Adjusted floats, cleaned carb, played with timing. Eventually found a tiny piece of wire from inside my fuel line floating in and out of the needle/seat. It was still attached inside the line by one end.
If you've got any rubber fuel line going to your carb try gently squeezing it and then see how it runs. Vise grips work. It will act like a regulator controlling the fuel flow.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:01 AM   #19
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Quote:
Lots of things happen for no explainable reason.
Like a run-a-way beard trimmer, which will probably leave everyone scratching their head. No kidding, went to trim my beard last night, like I usually do on the weekends, and my beard trimmer would not shut off. Never seen anything like it. Brought it out to my wife and asked her to try and turn it off, she couldn't either. Took it to the garage, with it still running, tried to disassemble it to get to the switch, with no luck. Just left it in the garage to run it's course. Looked at my wife and said "this is the kind of sh...stuff you just can't make up."

3970010, on my '78, when we brought the motor home from the engine shop, everything was basically new, except for the block, including an Edelbrock 1406 carb out of the box. We unloaded the motor with the engine hoist and placed it in the frame/motor mounts. Hooked everything up, went to start it, and nothing. Noticed very quickly the carb was flooding. Took the top off and one of the floats had stuck. No idea how, it was brand new and ran fine at the shop the day before.

One other thing that comes to mind, is distributor shaft end play. If the gear on the end of the shaft has a lot of play in it, it can affect the timing. Here's a really good article on distributors that may help. It also includes information on the end play.

Have any better luck today?
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Maybe you got some different gas, change in outside temperature, change in the weather. Lots of things happen for no explainable reason.
I had one that drove me crazy. Changed every time I drove it. Adjusted floats, cleaned carb, played with timing. Eventually found a tiny piece of wire from inside my fuel line floating in and out of the needle/seat. It was still attached inside the line by one end.
If you've got any rubber fuel line going to your carb try gently squeezing it and then see how it runs. Vise grips work. It will act like a regulator controlling the fuel flow.
well i tried that and still didnt do anything... i have video proof of what its doing if i can figure out how to upload
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3970010 View Post
well i tried that and still didnt do anything... i have video proof of what its doing if i can figure out how to upload
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #22
gofastnut

3970010, If you could upload it to YouTube, then paste a link here, that would work.
Sorry man, I know how frustrating gremlins can be.
C-10 Club
My achingly slow build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=508345
gofastnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #23
ole dollor

first you said you have a sbc ...small block chevy....the your friend sold you a dist. from a 454...big block chevy....are you sure a sbc and a bbc chevy. dist are the same ? i thought they were different....just asking..Don
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #24
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole dollor View Post
first you said you have a sbc ...small block chevy....the your friend sold you a dist. from a 454...big block chevy....are you sure a sbc and a bbc chevy. dist are the same ? i thought they were different....just asking..Don
Actually they are the same. One of the only parts that will interchange from small to big block.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
Actually they are the same. One of the only parts that will interchange from small to big block.
this is the video i think http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKc5w...ature=youtu.be
Posted via Mobile Device