The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #1
pritch

Everyone should go out and check their brake fluid level

My brakes are really good. Power drum/drum, but I can stop on a dime and leave 7 cents change. I rebuilt them with all brand new stuff, and have never had an issue. I can lay on them at 60 mph with my hands off the wheel and it stays straight as a string.

But the other day, I came up to a raised railroad crossing just around a little bend in the road and I was going a little bit faster than I should have been so I stomped on the brakes. I slowed down OK, but my brake light came on. "That's odd" I thought, and figured it was just a combination of the hill and turn and hitting the brakes harder than normal, but I stopped at the next gas station I came to and popped the top off my master cylinder and sure enough, the rear reservoir was empty! I looked all over and couldn't see a leak anywhere. I guess it's a mystery where the fluid went, but I filled it back up and gave it a bleeding when I got home. I still can't find a leak anywhere. I guess I'll have to pull my wheels off and look closer, but it's a strange deal. So go out and check your brake fluid level. I'll make that a check I do when I check my oil from now on.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Everyone should go out and check their brake fluid level

-
This is really a coincidence. I was starting the vehicles today that hadn't been started in a while and I backed the Green '67 up so I could get the wife's Jeep up to the shop to change the oil. When I put on the brakes they didn't feel right so I checked the fluid and sure enough the rear reservoir was almost dry. I can't see any obvious leaks either. None of the brake drums look wet on the bottom side. I put fluid in it and they pumped up good. I will check it in the morning to see if I can see anything. I checked all of the master cylinders after that. The Blue '67 rear reservoir was low also.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:48 PM   #3
slow-1

Brake fluid doesn't evaporate...y'all have a leak somewhere...mine were in two different lines leading to the rear along the frame...neither were obvious on first inspection.

40 year old brake lines rust and get pin holes in them ...now go spend some time under your trucks and find those leaks.
Original 350 (3 rebuilds)
700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives

slow-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:06 PM   #4
hotrod100

You might want to unbolt the master cylinder and pull it forward a bit to check for a leak from the piston. If the master cylinder is leaking from here it will deplete the fluid in the rear reservoir and is also hard to see without taking the two mounting nuts off.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow-1 View Post
Brake fluid doesn't evaporate...y'all have a leak somewhere...mine were in two different lines leading to the rear along the frame...neither were obvious on first inspection.

40 year old brake lines rust and get pin holes in them ...now go spend some time under your trucks and find those leaks.

I replaced all of the brake lines on the Green '67 two years ago.... I'm suspecting a wheel cylinder.

LockDoc

-
Old 08-28-2013, 11:37 PM   #6
J kippin

Had a similar problem with my 71 super. I knew I had a leaking rear wheel cylinder. I replaced all the rear brake hardware and sure enough A while later I "lost all the brake fluid again.
As I was getting ready to add more fluid I randomly pulled the vacuum line off the booster to my surprise it was wet with fluid.
I replaced the master cylinder with a new unit but found the booster was half full of fluid.
pull the master cylinder and check the rear seal if you are loosing fluid,you may be surprised.
J kippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:02 AM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by J kippin View Post
Had a similar problem with my 71 super. I knew I had a leaking rear wheel cylinder. I replaced all the rear brake hardware and sure enough A while later I "lost all the brake fluid again.
As I was getting ready to add more fluid I randomly pulled the vacuum line off the booster to my surprise it was wet with fluid.
I replaced the master cylinder with a new unit but found the booster was half full of fluid.
pull the master cylinder and check the rear seal if you are loosing fluid,you may be surprised.

I don't have a booster but I will check on the inside of the firewall and under the floor mat in the morning...

LockDoc

-
Old 08-29-2013, 05:42 AM   #8
GMCPaul

Most common culprit is a small leak on the rear wheel cylinder, it leaks so little initially that quite often the fluid gets burnt off from brake drum heat before reaching the outside of the rear drum. When the seal goes to leaking on the rear of the master cylinder its generally quite noticeable on the reduction of braking quality due to the leak and without a booster you should notice a brake fluid smell in cab when a master cylinder starts leaking on a manual brake truck, where as a small rear cylinder leak you generally do not notice any difference in braking quality until the seal blows completely dumping the fluid out.
Paul @ GMCPauls
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote