The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
1966Stepside

Motivation

I'm facing a serious make or break decision on whether to continue my build or sell it for what I can and get out. It's my first really major build, and I'm finding myself in way over my head. So, simple question. When you hit a wall on your builds, how do you keep yourself motivated to finish up the current stepping stone and keep going to the end?
1966Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
Shooters_7

Re: Motivation

One step at a time bud. When I really get stuck I'll look up what I need on this site and then break it down into bite size pieces. Don't get overwhelmed by one big item. Also its a good excuse to get friends over to the house to kick back BBQ and work on my truck.

I have a 66 thats my daily driver and a 65 stepside in my garage that I'm working on and buying parts for!
Shooters_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Focus on some small things that you can finish pretty easy and build your confidence up and do a bigger task. Just don't do all the easy things first. Take a few days and think all the systems thru and make a time line of how things need to be done. At the same time make your overall goal that you want it to be when finished. A well thought out plan will cut down some of the forest so you can see some of the trees.
Posted via Mobile Device
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:05 PM   #4
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Just as not everyone is a carpenter, not everyone can do bodywork or rebuild an engine. Your not expected to do it all so trade off the stuff your good at and leave the rest to the guys that have done it before. If you work hard and concentrate at your job you'll be able to pay someone to do some work for you.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #5
drogers

I'm in the same boat. You got to push on through and have faith that you'll finish.. I've never done any body work yet I'm tusting that I can do this work and get it back together.. I know it will never be as good as other on this site, but i hope it will turn out ok. Another 3-4 months and I might be asking the same questions as you...
86' 700R4
My Front Disc Conversion
drogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:18 PM   #6
dean jendro
Old and crusty

Unless money is a major issue just keep on pressing forward as stated eloquently by others above. I use this site for most of my motivation by looking at what others have accomplished. Some day I'll get done with my project and will be another happy driver.
Here's one that's good but there are many other great posts on this site that will keep the blood flowing. Good luck to you.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=490789
dean jendro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:28 PM   #7
k1rodeoboater

Gotta learn how to do new things somehow...take a break, come back to it in a few weeks, drive on

no garage, no shop, limited storage space and tools....no problem.
k1rodeoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:01 PM   #8
losthope

One way i get past it is look back all the pictures on my computer or in a build thread i started and look how far i have come ,and try to take pictures and update my build thread even if its something small...i also sit back and really look at the next step that needs to be done and just concentrate on that one thing, instead of looking at the project as a whole and get overwhelmed by everything. Another thing i do sometimes is take a part or small project and distancing my self from the main project ,like mabye taking the carb on the back patio and rebuilding it or sanding down a fender, then move on to the next part. And of course Looking at everyones build threads here, and sometimes you just got to take a break altogether, but make it a habit to do atleast something after a week so it doesnt become the project that just gets forgot in the garage and never finished.

"What that grinding noise?Don't worry about that it will eventually clearance itself!"

1966 chevy c10 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485977

1954 ford customline
H.A.M.B 54 Build Thread:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=622142
losthope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:16 PM   #9
chad64chevy

i agree with alot of peole on here! do something small then move on to something else, dont look at the truck as a whole, yet! seeing a bunch of parts scattered around and the truck all toren apart will scare off anybody, dont let it! it takes time and money to put this truck together like you want it, just take your time you'll get it done! i was in the same boat as you last year, i had me truck for a few years before i tore it all apart and got scared it wouldn't get put back together, then i found this site and it has really helpped me see things differently!
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #10
kc0kfg

I agree with all of the above, its not one big project its many small ones.

I don't know what stage you are in now but I find if you can drive it under its own power it keeps me going,

When they run and drive they are trucks, when they are torn apart they are more likely to become yard art.

My last piece is it does not need to prefect to be fun, make sure the brakes and steering are in good shape and go from there.

1966 Chevy Paneltruck
1992 gmc 1 ton 2wd
1997 burban
Never be afraid to try something remember amateurs built the ark, the Titanic was built by pro's
kc0kfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:40 PM   #11
ol_skool_chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooters_7 View Post
One step at a time bud. When I really get stuck I'll look up what I need on this site and then break it down into bite size pieces. Don't get overwhelmed by one big item. Also its a good excuse to get friends over to the house to kick back BBQ and work on my truck.

I have a 66 thats my daily driver and a 65 stepside in my garage that I'm working on and buying parts for!
break it down into bite size pieces.............I 100% agree.

Built it yourself, don't count on others to to do it for you or with you. It will never get done
ol_skool_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:23 PM   #12
chainsaw

Or, you could put your finished car in the driveway (if you have one) and your project in the garage. I know I have to get the truck finished so I can get my more expensive car back in the garage.
chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:55 PM   #13
Hubscrub
Cruzin

I bought a dry erase board and hung it in here with my computer and wrote down stuff i need to do and order car shows/swap meets etc. it feels great to erase one off when i accomplish something. Write down even simple things like install xxxx bolts, install glove box door, paint xxxxx etc. And i don't even have a garage so that makes it harder but i still love it.
Attached Images

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:02 PM   #14
steverino66

all very good advice above - incremental steps, sub-projects;
I just passed 6-year anniversary since starting and right now my truck is torn down farther than at any time in the past, so…
this weekend I'm concentrating on doors only, also slowly gathering the little parts I'll need to reassemble doors and cab back onto the frame.
don't get discouraged - if it stops being fun for the day, walk away and come back with a fresh plan
steverino66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:41 PM   #15
krazy_texan

get it driving then start using it as your dd and all the little stuff you thought you could get by without will start to annoy you thus giving you motivation to fix it lol
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:37 PM   #16
XtechX

Just like most everyone on here I was pretty overwhelmed at times while working through my build (OK... Most of the time). But, just keep plugging away, you can do it!!
Do one thing at a time. I kept thinking to myself, I cant do this part..but then I would look back at the things I did to it before that I thought I couldnt do, but did. Just keep going! No one is born knowing how to do body/mechanical work and had to learn how at some point, and now is your time! The good thing is I highly doubt there is a problem that you could run into, that hasnt been addressed on this site, or if you cant figure something out, just ask. If you quit now, you will always kick yourself and wonder what if...?
Old 10-30-2011, 12:00 AM   #17
Chevy Fleetside

Just think about the day you get to drive it. I sure do, or when I can drive it again.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:02 AM   #18
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

I know for myself, I have to do a portion and then put it back together. Even if it makes more sense to 'do it right' while I have it appart.
Otherwise, I'll start feeling overwhelmed and lose motivation.

'Baby Steps' from the movie;
What About Bob

So, no matter where you are in the project, I'd suggest getting the truck back together first.
Then don't bite off too big a portion and get discouraged again.
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:41 AM   #19
KroAutomotiveInc

i like siting in my truck looking at it look at all the things you have worked on or finished and how awesome it will be when your cruising down the road after all your hard work and time!
KroAutomotiveInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:03 AM   #20
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

I've found that I'm more likely to work on something when I make a list and buy all the parts I need first. Seeing the boxes piled up ...makes me more motivated to tackle a project knowing I won't have to stop and wait for parts and possibly lose interest at the same time.

Another is goal setting....when you have a day planned to work on the truck don't do anything until you tell yourself exactly what I want to complete today. When you finish that day and met that goal it is more satisfying and builds to the next goal.

Without a game plan we all are likely to feel overwhelmed, especially when you look at the project as a whole rather than many individual steps or goals.
RUSHNBOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #21
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Most of us suffer P.A.D.D. Project Attention Deficiet Disorder from time to time. I'm there now.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:50 PM   #22
Indian113

A friend of mine told me when I started building my Model A"It's just like eating a elephant you have to take one small bite at a time". I don't do anything on my truck that stops me from being able to drive it in 2-3 days. That way it keeps me on the road and I don't get frustrated.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #23
narx66gmc

I just do small things til I get the rhythm back. Having friends come over is good too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #24
Mechanic77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
Most of us suffer P.A.D.D. Project Attention Deficiet Disorder from time to time. I'm there now.
Glad I'm not the only one.....

On big projects I think a guy has to take a break every once and awhile.....otherwise you get totally burnt out and it never gets done