The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
timski69gmc

Loud starter when engaging

When I replaced my granny tranny a years ago, the starter starting engaging really loud. (I believe that is when it changed, although it has been probalby 20 years.) Kind of a whine. No grinding, etc, just loud. I have heard vehicles with the same sound, so I don't think it is that uncommon, just wondering why? I assume the starters are the same from manual and auto, would the flywheel make any difference? I had also heard about shimming the starter, so I tried this with no luck either.
Would love to quiet it down. Not a big deal when it fires immediately, but if it cranks a couple of times, makes everyone stare, for the wrong reason.
Cheers!
timski69gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: Loud starter when engaging

Is this sound just a loud cranking noise or is it a "Hard" hitting sound when you crant the engine? The factory shop manual for many of the GM trucks refers to a Loud hard hitting sound which would mean that the starter drive is hitting the flywheel teeth. It also refers to a lound "ZING" type of noise that is also related to the flywheel/starter alignment. I have found that if I get to a point, where I can see the flywheel teeth and the starter's drive gear engagement, then I measure the space with a wire feeler gauge to get a-pproximately .018 measurement, I don't have much issue with noise or starter wear. I take the lower cover off of the engine and then I pull the solenoid off and manually engage the drive so that I dan adjust the shim sizes. When done, then all is put back together.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
Is this sound just a loud cranking noise or is it a "Hard" hitting sound when you crant the engine? The factory shop manual for many of the GM trucks refers to a Loud hard hitting sound which would mean that the starter drive is hitting the flywheel teeth. It also refers to a lound "ZING" type of noise that is also related to the flywheel/starter alignment. I have found that if I get to a point, where I can see the flywheel teeth and the starter's drive gear engagement, then I measure the space with a wire feeler gauge to get a-pproximately .018 measurement, I don't have much issue with noise or starter wear. I take the lower cover off of the engine and then I pull the solenoid off and manually engage the drive so that I dan adjust the shim sizes. When done, then all is put back together.
Frank's right. Your starter likely needs to be re-shimmed to engage properly. Any local auto parts house will have a shim kit but there are two and they are not interchangeable. Drop your starter and see if it's a staggered or straight bolt pattern then head to the parts store...
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:54 PM   #4
timski69gmc

The sound is the loud cranking sound. It doesn't sound 'hard' or like it is hitting the fly wheel in correct. Just loud. I haven't noticed any unusual wear on the drive gear, but haven't checked for awhile. I think the best option might be picking up the proper shim kit, a feeler gauge and give it a go.
Thanks guys!
Old 06-12-2014, 01:32 PM   #5
TexasLS1

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but what did you find out on your truck? Mine does the same thing - it cranks ear-piercingly loud - but the alignment and flywheel/gear teeth clearance are fine.

One thing that I'm wondering is if it is due to the fact that the flywheel dust cover is missing from the bottom of the trans. I tried to install a stamped aftermarket cover, but it wouldn't fit bc the cover was the worst quality on the planet I suppose, so I need to track down a factory cover.

Were you able to get it resolved??
TexasLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:08 AM   #6
timski69gmc

Hey Texas,
Nope, no solution. I never did get around to trying a shim kit. Like I said, it doesn't sound wrong or bad, just loud.
But funny you mention it, but mine doesn't have the cover either. I really don't think it would make a lot of difference. Probably should buy/find a cover.
And the shim kit.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:48 AM   #7
msgdsrf

Loud to me means starter gear is often actually too far from Flexplate. Shimming will solve but only using half and putting it under the outside bolt hole only. You each really should just get under your trucks and use a srewdriver the wedge out the stater gear and look at how it is interfacing with the flexplate and go from there. Think about how much better you'll feel when you solve this!
msgdsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:16 PM   #8
timski69gmc

Ha that's true. It's been like that so long. Just kind of tuned it out.
Would be nice a little quieter though.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:36 PM   #9
TexasLS1

I'm going to follow everyone's advice and put a shim in it. I had checked clearance based on something I had been told and thus assumed that mine was spaced correctly, but they may have been wrong. I'm just tired of seeing my daughter smile and cover her ears, and having to be courteous and wait until people walk a distance from my truck before cranking it lol!

Thanks for everyone's input!!
TexasLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:59 PM   #10
faribran

On a Chevy if all the parts are good no shims should be needed.