The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2003, 01:08 AM   #1
69ChevySB
dropped69

problems starting truck

my battery wouldnt hold a charge so i got a new one now when i try to start it my starter just turns my motor over but it wont fire up i tried it a few more times then saw something smoking under my hood...
i looked and it was one of the wires that goes into one of the harnesses plugging into the firewall
it was a wire with some kind of material around it which was all singed from when it was burnt. at the end of it had two yellow wires..one going to the starter and the other end going to the hei distributor could this be my problem??
maybe i had a bad connection and something caused it to burn up? if i go to the junkyard for a 69 pickup and unscrew that one bolt and unplug the left harness with maybe 1foot of each wire ...if i hook all these wires up how they were and replace the wire that burnt up, should my truck start up or does it sound like something else is wrong. help i want to get it going again thanks
Old 11-12-2003, 01:23 AM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Rip that wire off. Who ever installed the HEI didn't do it right. Both the cloth wire, and the yellow wire needd removed.
Once you have done this, run a wire from the fuse box in the IGNITION UNFUSED location, and plug it into the HEI BAT terminal. The yellow wire is not needed at all.

This will probably not cure the no-start blues, but once you gewt it running, it'll run better than it had before.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 01:41 AM   #3
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Make sure the new wire you run to the HEI is at least 12 ga or 10 ga as well. You want to minimize the voltage drop so want a heavy gauge wire. Those HEI's like 12V!
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 01:46 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Why do I always leave that part out?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 10:13 PM   #5
69ChevySB
dropped69

thanks but i have one more question, i broke the piece off the harness where it plugs into the firewall on the wire that burnt....do i no longer need to run that wire from the harness? and if this is the case can i just plug that harness back in and take
a different wire to the ign unfused and run two more wires together so one goes to the starter and the other side goes to the distributor? sort of like a "Y".

there is a red wire running to that ign unfused already i think its one of the wires to my tach, should i just tap into that wire or use the other plugin....

also, does this sound like the reason it wont start because it was shorting out somewhere? i dont know what could be wrong...it sounds like it is going to fire up but then it doesnt, the starter seems to be working perfectly.....the motor turns over but doesnt want to fire up like it should...i was thinking my carburetor is getting to much gas or something? any help appreciated. thanks
Old 11-12-2003, 11:27 PM   #6
cdowns

the wire that burned up was a resistor wire and needs to be replaced the way i did it was to take a pair of needle-nose pliers where the wire runs into the firewall plug and yank it out then run the new(12ga) wire from that terminal a dab of black silicone will sealit up and you'll still have a factory look to your harness
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote