The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2009, 05:46 PM   #1
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Anyone know of a non smelly chemical dip.

I took apart a quadrajet and need to soak it. Does anyone know of a non smelly chem dip for carburetors that works.

I drove around town today to all the local auto parts to see if I could find a chemical solution other than Berryman Chem-Dip. I bought some a few years ago and my wife had me remove it from the premises cause it stunk up the garage- and the neighborhood.

I actually spilled some on the ground and even after burning some wood trimmings on top, I could still smell that stuff.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:08 PM   #2
UltraBlue71

Re: Anyone know of a non smelly chemical dip.

But it sure does work good!

71 LWB
UltraBlue71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
I took apart a quadrajet and need to soak it. Does anyone know of a non smelly chem dip for carburetors that works.

I drove around town today to all the local auto parts to see if I could find a chemical solution other than Berryman Chem-Dip. I bought some a few years ago and my wife had me remove it from the premises cause it stunk up the garage- and the neighborhood.

I actually spilled some on the ground and even after burning some wood trimmings on top, I could still smell that stuff.
Haha That stuff do stink. Yah it do. Varsal works but it stinks. Most all do but you should vent any parts cleaners outside. We sell Wurth products and offer some brake cleaner products that are enviro friendly." Sharp Shooter" brand. They are Brake cleaners but work on carbs. Their are many brands. SafetyKlean makes some also. They don't have a bad odor.
Check online for some more. Brake cleaners that are chem based don't smell as bad for a long time but will take off most finishes on carbs. If you soak them long enough that purple cleaner that most stores have will remove carbon and does a decent job. We use it to clean intakes.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
Jayss109

Believe it or not, but use some Simple Green. Not quite as effective as the nasty stuff, but you wont kill your braincells either! Little more time with a bristle brush, and its safe to use on practically anything. Will make the garage smell nice!

J
Old 11-09-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
68gmsee

The carb is not that dirty on the outside. I wanted to remove scale and deposits left when the carb set for a couple of years. I guess I could get some small wire brushes and use elbow grease, but I want to make sure I clean all the small internal holes.

While doing an internet search, I read of someone recommending Gunk chem dip carb cleaner but I can't locate any around here. Maybe someone here has used it and leave some input.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayss109 View Post
Believe it or not, but use some Simple Green. Not quite as effective as the nasty stuff, but you wont kill your braincells either! Little more time with a bristle brush, and its safe to use on practically anything. Will make the garage smell nice!

J

Yeah the green and the purple are the same stuff
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:15 PM   #7
diggertodd
diggertodd

I hang on the garagejournal website too, there was a great thread there by those who swear by submersing carbs in green antifreeze, 48 hours = absolutely clean.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:24 PM   #8
68gmsee

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggertodd View Post
I hang on the garagejournal website too, there was a great thread there by those who swear by submersing carbs in green antifreeze, 48 hours = absolutely clean.
Green antifreeze??? Like the stuff you use in the radiator?