The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-09-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
blown240

Advice Needed on Lowering My Suburban

I want to lower my 66 Suburban 2 inches in the front and 5 in the rear.(the rear sits 3 inches higher than the front) I have leaf springs in the rear. The front is easy. I can just get drop springs for it, or cut the ones I have.

The rear is giving me problems though. Right now there is just under 7 inches between the top of the axle and the frame. I was going to flip the axle onto to top of the spring, but there is only 3 1/2 inches between the top of the leaf and the frame. So basically if I flip the axle, I will have NO travel. Sure I could notch the frame, but even with a 2 inch notch I would only have 2 inches travel. Plus I REALLY dont want to notch the frame.

My other option, and really maybe my only option is to remove some of the leaves. Right now there are 10 leaves and the pack is just under 3 inches thick. I was thinking of tacking enough out to drop it about 4-5 inches. Sure it isnt as much as I want, but then I would still have about 2-3 inches of travel without cutting the frame.

So what do you guys think? And how many leaves would I need to take out? Which ones? And is this going to cause other problems I havent considered?

THANKS!!
blown240 is offline   Reply With Quote