The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-09-2015, 07:25 PM   #1
CAChevy

Need Help With CCC Quadrajet Tuning

Just put a newly rebuilt SMI CCC Quadrajet carb on the 305/350 swap project and can't seem to get the thing to run right. I've read just about all the info I could find on the web about how to tune these things but can't seem to find out what I'm doing wrong.

The truck is a 1984 CA Emissions which originally had a 305 but swapped in a GM 260/350 crate motor with all the original smog stuff.

When I try to adjust the dwell for the MCS, (on the 6cyl scale) I can't get it in the 30ish range at idle. If I bring it up to around 1200 rpm it's right where it needs to be, bouncing between 27-32...but as soon as it goes back to idle the needle shoots down to about 9 and stays there.

I've put a vacuum gauge on it and adjusted the idle mixture screws to get the highest rpm/vac reading...ending up about 3 1/2 turns out on each of them. Manifold vac at idle is nice and steady at 20in Hg

My TPS voltage is about 0.46 volts at fully closed throttle.

The only way I can tell the truck has gone into closed loop to make my adjustments is when the smog pump starts pumping air into the air cleaner instead of the exhaust manifolds and I'm only guessing that is an indicator. I swapped out the original single wire O2 sensor and put in a 3 wire sensor with the heater because of the headers, the original wasn't getting hot enough at idle to make the adjustments in closed loop. I also put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator to make sure water temp gets high enough...about 200 deg.

The truck idles just fine but sputters, (like it wants to die) and is very sluggish off the line. If I just mash the gas from a stop it'll try and die out on me. I have to be very light on the throttle to get it to accelerate smoothly.

I'm really not wanting to take this thing to a mechanic as I've already blown the budget on this build. Anyone have any ideas?
CAChevy is offline   Reply With Quote