The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2015, 06:29 PM   #1
JJD

Question Need help to install neutral control switch

I have a 1982 GMC 1500 Sierra Classic automatic transmission with a V8. I bought a new neutral control switch from O'Reillys The original was burned due to a short coming from the starter assembly. I have replaced the starter but
I have had no luck getting the neutral switch to work.I am having no luck getting it lined up on the column. I am now starting the truck by hot wire.
JJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:15 PM   #2
chengny

Re: Need help to install neutral control switch

I know what you mean. Here is GM's procedure:

C, K, R & V MODELS

1. Disconnect battery ground cable.

2. Disconnect electrical connector at switch.

3. Remove switch mounting screws, then the switch.

4. Position shift lever in neutral gate notch.

5. Insert a .098 inch gauge pin into switch gauge hole as shown, Fig. 13, then assemble switch to column by inserting carrier tang into shift tube slot.

6. Install switch mounting screws into retainers. If retainers strip, they must be replaced.

7. Remove gauge pin, then position shift lever into Park to shear internal plastic pin in switch.

8. Return shift lever to neutral gate notch, then ensure switch gauge hole will accept .080 inch gauge pin. If not, loosen mounting screws, then rotate switch on column until .098 inch gauge pin can be reinserted into gauge hole.

9. Reconnect electrical connector and battery ground cable.

Unfortunately, the procedure as described above is basically impossible to do while laying under the dash. I am sure you don't want to hear this but; the fastest way to accomplish this repair is to pull the entire column and bring it to the bench.

It isn't that bad. Disconnect the rag joint, unbolt the triangular flange from the firewall, remove the trim under the column, disco the wiring, release the two mounting bolts and drop the column. Pull it in to the cab. (I might have missed a couple of steps but that's basically it.)

Replace the switch as above and re-install the column.
chengny is offline   Reply With Quote