The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2014, 06:57 PM   #1
Rambow

Dual pot MC conversion- differences for Frame rail installs

I'm tearing into the brakes on my '53- going to replace all the lines, hoses, etc.
This is just a stock redo- just 4 wheel drums, no disks, no power.

I ordered up this conversion bracket so that I can switch in a dual pot MC for safety.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161135059309...84.m1497.l2649

I read the sticky thread in the other forum about the conversion- the overall plumbing is straightforward- but I have a question about these "residual valves"

It sounds like a stock drum/drum MC HAS residual valves built into it already (required for drums to lightly hold the shoe against the drum)... but then I read that you needed an additional ? residual valve if the MC was going to be down on the frame rail to keep fluid from backing up? is that right?

Can anyone clear up what is needed plumbing wise for a basic drum/drum dual pot master cylinder mounted on the frame rail of a '53?

Thanks-
Ben
Classic Seat Restorations -Preventing me from working on my own projects since 2009!
Rambow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:36 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Dual pot MC conversion- differences for Frame rail installs

For the life of me I don't know why this residual valve thing keeps alive.
You only need a residual valves IF and only IF the master is below the wheel cylinders. Most masters don't have them, very few during the 80s and some earlier did.

If your stock height don't use them. The stock system doesn't have them and changing the Master doesn't create a need for them.

Hotrods started using them because the master was on the rail that was several inches below the wheel cylinders.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote