The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2011, 09:38 PM   #1
jessemthompson

Drivetrain opinions for 72 swb

I'm picking up a 96 5.7 vortec from a soldier of mine later this month. I have went over several things in my head and have researched a lot here lately. My plans thus far are to freshen the bottom end up with new rings and bearings. Install an LT4 hot cam with 1.6.1 roller rockers. Have the valve guides ground for the higher lift of the cam, install screw in rocker studs, drill out the push rod holes so the geometry is good for the higher rocker ratio and install comp cams bee hive springs. I would use an edelbrock rpm air gap intake and a 750cfm spread bore holley carb with an electric fuel pump. Backed up by a monster trans 700r4 with an 1800-2000 stall. My ignition is already up to par with a Mallory hyfire system and I already have shorty headers. I have to figure what rear end I have, but I believe it has 3.73s installed. My goal is a reliable 400 horsepower and 400 lb ft of torque. If I put it on the track a 13 second pass would be nice.
The goal here isn't to have a drag truck obviously. Just to have decent power.
What do you guys think?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by jessemthompson; 12-26-2011 at 09:48 PM.
jessemthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:53 PM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: Drivetrain opinions for 72 swb

WELCOME!!! A couple of questions and comments.What is the stock engine rated?I think your goal is well within what you want,but I would suggest you think about a 650 rather than the 750.I assume it will be mostly street driven and the 650 will possibly give it much better street manners due to a better fuel signal and increased carb velocity.The 750 is probably a better choice for an engine spinning in the upper RPM ranges but those are seldom seen on the street.
Depending on what you intend to run this in a 13 isn't out of the question as long as you can hook up the rear tires.You may want to swap to a rear tank and move the battery to the bed.You might also check out aftermarket heads.Sometimes they can be had cheaper than reworking the stock ones to the specs needed.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:58 PM   #3
jessemthompson

The stock vortec is rated at 255hp and 335 lb ft torque. That is with the factory fuel injection though. The work on the vortec heads comes out cheaper then aftermarket and are the reason I'm picking the engine up. I'm not sure a 650 carb will be able to support 400 hp. Also I don't see spinning this engine over 5800 rpms.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-26-2011, 11:36 PM   #4
rich67

would you want a little more stall with that kind of h.p.? or does it matter?
rich67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:40 PM   #5
jessemthompson

The stall depends on the characteristics of the cam, not so much the horsepower. Although I have considered the 2300-2800 stall they have. The cam I'm looking at is not rowdy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by jessemthompson; 12-26-2011 at 11:54 PM.