The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2008, 10:28 PM   #1
53lochevy

53-Gas Tank/Crossmember/Boxed Frame/Parking Brake installed

Got the frame completly boxed with the boxing plates from progressive along with the crossmember I had bent up last week or so for 60 bucks in pipe and 60 bucks for the pipe bender. I just had a birthday yesterday and got the tank as a present from you know who thats right my Mom hehehe she asked what I wanted and what else does a gear head want hehehehe. I had to do alittle midification from the drawing that I had drew last week but it all went in great. If you look at the pic of the gas tank you can see the stock rear croosmember has been modified first cut the ears off the side and keep them you will reuse them later when you trim the crossmember as seen in the pic along with cutting the opening for the sending unit. Will put the anti-squeak between the side rails and the two straps underneath in final assembly. Still have to put the cross pieces to tie the crossmember together on both sides 3each side. Should get the air tanks installed this weekend inside the crossmember goal is fitting everything out of sight and tuck it neatly underneath her. Also modified the parking brake assembly as you can see by the pic I wanted to keep the parking brake because all the rest of the stock pedal are going to be gone and I wanted to keep that assembly in the truck I like the old looking parking brake in the floor along with the handle inside the cab on the side. Order the notch plates for the rear will get that done next week also. Boxing the frame and crossmember install along with the rear the frame is really stirdy and will be able to step on the gas alittle harder if ya know what I mean. Enjoy the pics and let me know what ya"ll think of the build so far. I really appreciate all the responses and this site is great for finding anything you what to know.

Thanks all
Attached Images

53lochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:31 PM   #2
53lochevy

Re: 53-Gas Tank/Crossmember/Boxed Frame/Parking Brake installed

more pics
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2008, 10:38 PM   #3
53lochevy

more pics
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2008, 10:43 PM   #4
jkaylor68gmc

that looks great, you did a terrific job with both the fuel tank and centersection.

josh
2002 Chevrolet Silverado 7-inch lift on 35 Daily driver
2016 Chevy Tahoe Better halves ride
jkaylor68gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:47 PM   #5
53lochevy

Once the rollpan is installed in the rear along with the bumper will fit the gas tank neck under the bed in the rollpan for a flip-license plate to hind it out of the way and not in the bed I never liked having to lift the gas nozzle over the tailgate or having to let the tailgate down in order to fill the tank, let alone spilling gas in the bed with the varnish on the wood. You should see about an 1 1/2 inches once the rollpan and bumper are install will go with the 55 model bumper with the cut out for the license plate.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:09 AM   #6
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

Looks great. Love the center section you built.

Brian ......

My hub garage address
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/59apache
I gue$$ everything has it'$ price
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
power MII front end, shockwaves
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited
entourageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:19 AM   #7
53lochevy

thanks couldnt see paying 440 dollars shipped to the door for this crossmember from progressive but I did order the transmission mount from Bob at progressive. I just basically copied there design and looked at some pics here of the placement along with measurement for the ls1/460e transmission and bent it up quick and easy really, I used to be an engineer with GE and I was always helping out the instrumentation guys running my gear to the equipment at the plants so i came easy the transmission mount was 40 bucks not bad saved about 240 dollars and got a tool to boot.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:37 AM   #8
bretcopsey

Sorry if you already addressed this-I couldn't find what the original application was for that tank. What year/model and if you have dimensions and capacity that would be great too! Thanks!

My 68 Camaro project
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2277404/1
bretcopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:19 PM   #9
50'sBurbanman

nice frame i think it looks amazing. what do you have in store for suspension for the truck, i would love to see what you have in mind, it might give me a few ideas for my truck.
50'sBurbanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:17 PM   #10
Houston54

Very nice work. How will you be bolting the bed to the frame at the front? I do not see any holes for that need.
Houston54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:47 PM   #11
53lochevy

The tank is for a 73-81 jimmy measurements 28 1/4 - 28 1/4 - 11, 25 gallon tank ordered from LMC catalog. In the catalog it shows the bottom of the tank to look the same all the way around but it does have a little angle on one side of it because in the jimmy the tank fill was right in front of the back tail lights on the fender side mount. Once the rollpan is installed you wont see the angle on the side I believe the angle should be to the rearend, but only about an 1 1/2 inch should be showing worst case rotate it and relocate the filler in the tank and put it back in. I didnt know the tank had a small angle on one end of it the catalogs shows to be square all the way around but no biggie really. Should have the IFS in the first of next month with the air bags and all the goodies, notching the rear this weekeng getting ready for the 9-inch with disc going in with air bags/shocks/swaybar, still waiting on the air tanks to get in and put between the crossmember and frame. As far as the bed goes I'm not going to put those wood blocks in will take a measurement of the height needed and take some 2-2 sqaure tubing, weld a plate on one end center drill a hole and weld a nut on the inside of the end, and put a piece of square rubber in between for the anti-noise something like the cab mount rubber.