The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2013, 01:51 AM   #1
c10boob

Improving Mechanical Skills

I've had my '71 for about a year now and it is largely a toy that I would someday like to do a full restore on. My mechanical aptitude is good but I still have a lot, and I mean a lot, to learn in the knowledge arena. This forum has been great in assisting me with this unlike any forum I have been a member of, but the other day I was reading through an engine rebuild thread and I realized: I should just light my truck on fire.

Ok, not really - but it made me really want to drastically increase my technical knowledge on this subject as far as diagnostics, rebuilding, and knowing how to properly increase HP.

Aside from local vocational classes does anyone have suggestions on good technical books for novice and intermediate engine rebuilds/auto mechanics?
Posted via Mobile Device
c10boob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:20 AM   #2
Artikgrau325is

Re: Improving Mechanical Skills

This book and cd gave me the courage to dive into my project. It literally held my hand when I pulled the motor for the first time. Did it by myself in 5 hours.

Haven't done any machine work or rebuilding, but I was able to do pretty much everything else needed to swap another motor in with some goodies, and get it fired up. The book is worth its weight in gold, even if you don't do a teardown on your engine, at least you'll understand what is involved with it and be able to have more thorough discussions with your machine shop of choice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Artikgrau325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
ksshane

Watching this thread.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #4
Lattimer

Get a good manual like shown above, and dive in.

Another good way is to pickup a used craigslist engine for $50 and tear it down to see how it really goes together. Sometimes diving in is the only way to learn.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
DT1

I agree with Artikgrau325is. Even with over four decades of experience, I still keep this book close when it's time for another rebuild. It's also a good read any time, although my wife would probably disagree. You should also set yourself up with a decent set of basic hand tools. If you decide to tackle an engine rebuild, you should have (Or know where you can borrow) some specialized tools such as a torque wrench, thread chasers, ring compressor, ring filer, micrometers, calipers, snap gauges,Etc. Another "Must" is to find a competent, local machine shop that you can trust. I've had a lot of bad luck with machine shops in the past, so it's important that you don't take anything for granted and carefully measure and record all machine work before assembly, even if you trust the shop. Keep in mind also, that if you run into a snag (And you probably will), this forum is one of the most valuable tools you can possess. There is literally hundreds of years of combined experience right here.
DT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
Stu Pidd

As my plan is to swap in a Vortec 5.3, I consider the current 350 in my truck to be a "practice" engine. I'll continue goofing off with the carbureted beast until the right engine is found.

Until then, it's fun tinkering with an engine that will be soon tossed aside, as I'm not worried about doing something stupid.

So far, even after I've had a few tools under the hood, the truck starts and runs fine. Maybe this is just giving an idiot like me too much confidence to tackle the swap to fuel injection.

If you guys start seeing a bunch of parts from me going up for sale, that means I probably gave up after getting way over my head.

Bottom line? Don't have a clue, but having fun!
Stu Pidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
slow-1

Something I have done over the years is hang around guys who know...I worked at a garage when I was in college and if I had a few minutes between tasks, I was standing next to the engine guy, watching what he was doing, asking questions.

If you have a machine shop around you, stop in now and then, chat it up, bring doughnuts...

Reading and studying books is something else I do, I have the above book and two stacks of similar ones

I am no expert and certainly not a "mechanic", but I have evolved into a pretty good parts changer over the last 30 years.
Original 350 (3 rebuilds)
700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives

slow-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

You're never too old to learn more stuff. Read, read, and then read some more. Then seek out how all that reading applies to what you just read. Ask buddies, machinists, shadetrees, mechanics... anybody that has mechanical knowledge. They are a wealth of information.

Also... jump in, and just get your hands dirty. Tear stuff apart, keep track and label everything. Makes it easier to get it all back together. But the main thing is JUST DO IT! Too many cats anymore are scared to just tear stuff apart. They want step by step instruction on their first attempt at anything. You learn from mistakes. You also get to throw tools, and make up fancy new cuss words. It's a part of the process.

Again... JUST DO IT.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
cdowns

check out your local public library

thet have a whole range of free books for u to read

i learned alot by listening to old guys and seein how they worked to solve a problem
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #10
c10boob

Thanks for all the advice guys! I'll definitely check out that rebuild book.

I'm certainly not afraid to tear into anything and though I've never rebuilt an engine, I have successfully rebuilt my Holley carb and part of my steering gearbox. Everything else I've ever done with a vehicle though has been pretty simple (brake pads/bleeding, thermostat change, ball joint replacement, etc.)

The main thing that got me thinking on how much I have to learn is reading the posts of changing the rear end gear ratio and people talking about figuring up which parts to get in order to produce higher horse power but keep the engine reliable and that really made me realize I have more to learn than just tearing into something and replacing the parts, there's like, numbers and stuff lol :p
c10boob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #11
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

It's basically fasteners.Once you know how to work fasteners,you can tear anything apart.Then just reverse the process to put it back together.The reading is a great way to start to understand how everything is put together,getting a cheap or junk engine will help you put it into practice.The book suggested is a good one to get you started.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:07 AM   #12
dmartin1

I have very long term mechanic father who's done it all. I am 20 now but when I was 14 and started foolin around with mechanics he wouldn't help me with anything other then muscking something up or away if it was heavy. I ended up using common sense and being mechanicky inclined to take the 327 out of my 67 Chevy and read online and bought a cam and other goodies for it and built it step by step from reading guys in this forum and other sites and Google. The sucker ran and ran good until I got rid if the truck. Best way for me was read before hand then just tear in. J thank my dad for not helping me now cause everything I known I taught myself and between us both we can make anything work.
1978 k20 Silverado loaded.currently engine-less
1989 k10 suburban 9" lift
65 nova
And more
dmartin1 is offline   Reply With Quote