The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2015, 10:37 PM   #1
Triman8654

Question Cost for ifs

Ok, I have a 1950 Chevy p/u. Just got it painted.cyber grey metalic.. So now I want to lower it a little and update brakes, how much should I pay to have the mustang II suspension completely installed. Just the labor part.
Thanks Dale
Triman8654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:30 AM   #2
Sim6

Re: Cost for ifs

I'm sure some on here has experience with hiring this out but you should just find someone that a friend or you trusts that does it on the side or has a small shop that may give you more of a deal. I've never done this swap but I would guess it could be a 8 to 10 hour job if it's only drilling and mounting brackets and bolting it up. If welding is required it may be more. I would guess from $400 to $700 depending on who you find willing and able. Also do what you can to bring whomever does this clean parts so they don't charge you more for having to do stuff you were able to do. This is just my .02
Jeff
Sim6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:43 AM   #3
mr48chev

If you are somewhat handy with tools think about this setup http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Bolt-I...ber,50961.html

Bolt on crossmember that requires only a 1/2 inch drill, tape measure (you need to be able to read it) and a hand full of wrenches to install. You still have to buy the Suspension and brake pieces but this is one most anyone with basic skills can do in his garage or driveway in a long Saturday or easy weekend and doesn't need a welder or have to pay someone to do the welding. It's a bit more tedious but these can be installed without removing the front sheet metal if you have a bit more patience to work around the sheet metal. On most every welded on crossmember the first step is remove the front sheet metal and remove the engine.

If you were to drive it up to someone's shop with the front suspension in boxes in the back and ask to have it installed I'd suspect that you can expect to spend in the neighborhood of $1000 especially with the care needed around the fresh paint. That is for removing the nose and bumper, removing the engine, removing the old suspension and cleaning up the frame and boxing it, welding the new crossmember in place, painting the front of the frame and bolting on the suspension and brakes and working the bugs out of the brakes and then installing the engine and reinstalling the nose being careful of the fresh paint.

If you were to have the truck backed in the garage with the nose off, engine out and the stock suspension off, steering box out, frame cleaned pretty well spotless and the brackets that need to be removed taken off plus have a crossmember specifically designed for your truck a weldor with a portable welder on his truck might do it for an hourly rate. Here where I live we have several guys with welding trucks that go out and do on the job welding by the hour or by the job.

If you have a welder but not the skills you can usually find someone with the skills who can do the welding if you have everything ready in your shop. If you have a 220 outlet in your shop you can probably find someone who will bring his welder and do the job. Ask your friends or ask the guys at the local welding supply if they know of someone with the skills needed who they trust to do that kind of work.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:13 AM   #4
joedoh

maybe its just the aircraft town I live in but there are always certified welders advertising their come-to-you services on craigslist. if you have a hotrod or 4x4 shop do it, and dont take anything apart, you are going to pay more than if you get it all cleaned up and the old stuff off.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote