The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2015, 12:53 PM   #1
n33k0

Loud clunk after lifting off accelerator

Hello,

My 1972 C10 Stepside (350/TH350) has no shortage of annoying clunks and squeaks. The noise that is next on the to-do list is a loud clunk that only occurs when I lift my foot off the gas. Sometimes it only clunks once, sometimes two or three times in a row, but only when I lift my foot off the accelerator pedal. I have found that I can avoid it by gently lifting my foot off the pedal, but if I have to jump from the gas to the brake (getting cut off in traffic), something under the truck will most certainly clunk loudly. It only happens when the truck is in gear, as well; pressing the accelerator then quickly releasing it while in neutral does not cause any clunking noise. Any ideas what would cause this?
n33k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:16 PM   #2
BRL

Re: Loud clunk after lifting off accelerator

First thing I would do is crawl underneath and attempt to rock the driveshaft in both directions to see if the U-joints are shot or the differential has excessive slop.
BRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:19 PM   #3
Wyatts Classics

Quote:
Originally Posted by n33k0 View Post
Hello,

My 1972 C10 Stepside (350/TH350) has no shortage of annoying clunks and squeaks. The noise that is next on the to-do list is a loud clunk that only occurs when I lift my foot off the gas. Sometimes it only clunks once, sometimes two or three times in a row, but only when I lift my foot off the accelerator pedal. I have found that I can avoid it by gently lifting my foot off the pedal, but if I have to jump from the gas to the brake (getting cut off in traffic), something under the truck will most certainly clunk loudly. It only happens when the truck is in gear, as well; pressing the accelerator then quickly releasing it while in neutral does not cause any clunking noise. Any ideas what would cause this?
It may be one of the U joints on driveshaft. Crawl underneath and try wiggling the shaft. Make sure the tires are blocked from rolling. Try putting in neutral and hand turn the rear shaft to differential. If it has a clunking sound and is loose you will see and feel it.
Wyatts Classics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:31 PM   #4
n33k0

Thanks for the replies. I had a suspicion that it was the drive shaft, but I don't know enough about transmissions to verify the problem (wiggling driveshaft? I guess it's supposed to do that )

I'll crawl under the truck after work, check it out, and report back.

Thanks again, fellas.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:50 PM   #5
Mike C

Does it do it when you have foot on brake and shift from park to drive and then drive to reverse? That sounds like a u-joint. Really whacked carrier bearing could clunk. But a ripped motor mount is also high on list if it only happens when you back off the gas. Especially on a 71-72 truck with throttle cable. On an earlier truck, the mechanical linkage sticks at WOT when motor mount breaks...
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:52 PM   #6
n33k0

Mike C,

I haven't noticed any unusual noise when shifting into or out of gear... certainly not the same clunk that I described earlier. Sometimes I'll feel a light thump if I'm reversing and switch to Drive before the truck completely stops rolling backwards, but it's not loud or strong enough to make me think something is wrong or broken.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:57 PM   #7
outdoorsman310

It could also be a trailing arm bushing, loose cross member, or broken mount.
what if you press the gas and let off in 1st as if you are trying to get the truck to bounce up and down and do a wheelie?
outdoorsman310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:07 PM   #8
Mike C

Get in the truck and start it. Drop it in gear. Press on brake with left foot as hard as you can. Bring engine revs up to 2000-2500 and then step off accelerator. What happens? If you can get help, have somebody else do this while you look at the motor to see if it's lifting up on the driver's side.

Please stand to the SIDE of the truck in case your helper's foot slips off the brake...
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
Old 02-26-2015, 08:15 PM   #9
chip46wis

Check the U-bolts holding the A arms also they do crack and rust.
chip46wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:36 PM   #10
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Get in the truck and start it. Drop it in gear. Press on brake with left foot as hard as you can. Bring engine revs up to 2000-2500 and then step off accelerator. What happens? If you can get help, have somebody else do this while you look at the motor to see if it's lifting up on the driver's side.

Please stand to the SIDE of the truck in case your helper's foot slips off the brake...
Uh... do not do this with solid linkage. It might be OK with a throttle cable, but with rod linkage consider this:

- You hold the truck with the brake
- You bring up a full converter load on the engine at about 2500
- Driver side mount was broken or breaks
- Engine torques up as it rotates
- That pulls on linkage
- Now you've got "cruise control" or "crazy high idle" in your driveway.

At that point you could either (a) panic and throw it into neutral and hope it doesn't overrev before the engine physically falls back down, or (b) turn the engine off and hope it doesn't diesel and detonate really bad because it's still got the throttle open.

GM engines of the late 60s were notorious for breaking mounts (bad mounts, not huge power), and the 69 and earlier cars with solid throttle linkage caused some serious events. We've all seen the "aircraft" cable loops to tie the engine to the suspension, a cheap bandaid for the problem that GM provided.

I think your suspicion that it might be a mount is spot on - that's my guess too. Just be safe checking it.

When I was a young man decades ago I'd check it myself by having the hood open, doing exactly what you say, while looking through the windshield and the gap between the cowl and the open hood to see what would happen. So I speak from experience - some exciting experiences!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:35 PM   #11
n33k0

I gave the drive shaft a good shake, but it didn't budge. Pushing and pulling front to back, left to right, at the transmission and the diff, no movement or noise. I did hear what sounded like the bed rocking back and forth, so that's something I'll have to do when it's not raining outside. I don't know if a loose bed bolt is the cause of the clunk, but it's probably contributing a lot to the noise the truck makes going over bumps.

I had never considered the motor mounts, it always felt like the noise was coming from below or behind me. Is there any way to check the motor mounts without the engine running? I'll also double check the u bolts, even though they seemed ok when I was doing suspension work on the rear a few months ago.

I appreciate the help guys. I don't have much free time to work on the truck, so these ideas give me a good game plan to follow when I finally get a chance to get my hands greasy.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:46 AM   #12
tcrist

You can always put a floor jack under the lowest part of the oil pan (with a 2x4 or something on the pad of the floor jack) and raise it slowly and see if the motor raises on one side or the other. Don't crush the pan though. Might be the passenger side motor mount lifting and letting something move and touch something else underneath. Like maybe the exhaust touching the frame or somewhat.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:10 PM   #13
Mike C

With your throttle cable it will be a non-issue to do with the engine running. You have been driving the truck it sounds. If it was a mechanical linkage and a broken drivers side mount you would have known it awhile back...
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
Old 02-27-2015, 02:21 PM   #14
hooverfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by n33k0 View Post
Mike C,

I haven't noticed any unusual noise when shifting into or out of gear... certainly not the same clunk that I described earlier. Sometimes I'll feel a light thump if I'm reversing and switch to Drive before the truck completely stops rolling backwards, but it's not loud or strong enough to make me think something is wrong or broken.
Rolling backwards and putting into drive before you stop rolling .... this will ruin your universal joints over time, if in fact they are not already gone.

Best to come to complete stop before changing direction. This is a good practice with any automatic transmission.

"It's a sorry man who can't find his wife a good job"
hooverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:48 AM   #15
n33k0

Quick update:

I haven't had a chance to check the engine mounts, the only time I find to troubleshoot the truck is weeknights after work and I don't want to be "that guy" in the neighborhood revving a loud engine when the neighbors are sleeping.

While doing a visual inspection of all the mounts I noticed the header on the driver side was hitting the frame and the front suspension (lower control arm) I think that is the source of the noise. Maybe the engine is moving just enough to cause the clearance issue and resulting noise?

Add: I found this pic that shows a similar issue on another truck, complete with dent in the tube. Maybe that's just the way things are with these headers?
Old 03-03-2015, 11:09 AM   #16
Freeze

If that is the case, the clunk is most likely not from the engine moving, but from the suspension moving. Are you accelerating hard enough to pitch the truck back? accelerating hard and then lifting can cause the front of the truck to raise and then lower back to 'static' position. Of course with 40 year old springs, the truck is probably dropping more than it was designed to and then the lower control arm is bumping the header. My .02
Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote