The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
bsa1969

help with setting initial timing chevy 350

Hello, I am new to this board. I'm in need of some advice. I just installed a 350 in my 1970 c10. I just took the 250 inline 6 out. The person who put the timing cover on my engine before I got it did not put the timing tab back on. Im having problems finding tdc without the timing tab. Thanks for the help
bsa1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
71K20chevy

Re: help with setting initial timing chevy 350

The only thing I can think of is to take the spark plug out and shine a flashlight in there, then turn the engine over by hand till you find it. Or just buy a timing tab.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
geezer#99

Let's check a couple things first.
Is the timing cover a factory painted one?
Take a pic of it for us. The tab might be there.
Some are a tube at the 12 oclock position behind the water pump.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
ChevyCruizer
17's too small

pull number 1 spark plug (drivers side near radiator)

place finger or thumb over spark plug hole (not inside it if you have tiny fingers).

use 5/8 inch socket (on crank center bolt) and slowly turn engine over until you start to feel compression (will want to blow finger off of hole) It will turn easier if other spark plugs are removed or if you have a trusted assistant they can slowly crank the engine over with the key. I suggest you remove the power wire from the coil to make sure it doesnt start.

Now you are close. What I do from here is place the tip of a screwdriver into the spark plug hole and keep one hand on the screwdriver and use the afore mentioned 5/8 on the crank and feel the piston move up, then plateau (stay the same) then start to drop. Go right in the middle and this will be TDC on the compression stroke. See if you marks on the balancer and timing pointer are aligned to 0 or TDC. I suggest you paint the mark on the balancer white with paint, chaulk, etc. (Install a pointer or a guage that aligns with your balancer mark.)

Remember this is a 4 cycle engine and if you dont feel compression then you are most likely 180 degrees out of phase and need to go around on the crank one more time.

Now this next part is trick...

One I get TDC as stated above I check to make sure my mark on the balancer and timing pointer are aligned. If they are correct I manually place the balancer to the 8 degrees before and then install the distributor with the rotor pointed at number 1 cylinder. Now I keep the dist lock down loose and apply power to the coil (either with jumper wire or turn key to run position) and hook up number 1 sparkplug but keep the plug removed and grounded and move the dist back and fourth quickly and see the spark. You can then feel the point where it is firing by finding the middle of the back and fourth motion. One you have it close you can snug down the dist and install everything else. Now if everything else is correct you will start right up and your base timing will be very close to where you set the balancer with the pointer (8 degrees before).

I worked at a speed shop when I was 17 (40 now) and an old timer showed this to me and I use it every time I set up a dist.

Thanks, John
68 C10 SWB SS 5 lug power disc brake conversion 2.5 inch drop spindles van tilt column Air Ride Technologies Cool Ride air bag kits Performance Online tubular upper control arms and shock relocator kits ECE super track panhard bar 1 piece side windows
ChevyCruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
Longhorn 70

Welcome to the board.

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyCruizer View Post
pull number 1 spark plug (drivers side near radiator)

place finger or thumb over spark plug hole (not inside it if you have tiny fingers).

use 5/8 inch socket (on crank center bolt) and slowly turn engine over until you start to feel compression (will want to blow finger off of hole) It will turn easier if other spark plugs are removed or if you have a trusted assistant they can slowly crank the engine over with the key. I suggest you remove the power wire from the coil to make sure it doesnt start.

Now you are close. What I do from here is place the tip of a screwdriver into the spark plug hole and keep one hand on the screwdriver and use the afore mentioned 5/8 on the crank and feel the piston move up, then plateau (stay the same) then start to drop. Go right in the middle and this will be TDC on the compression stroke. See if you marks on the balancer and timing pointer are aligned to 0 or TDC. I suggest you paint the mark on the balancer white with paint, chaulk, etc. (Install a pointer or a guage that aligns with your balancer mark.)

Remember this is a 4 cycle engine and if you dont feel compression then you are most likely 180 degrees out of phase and need to go around on the crank one more time.

Now this next part is trick...

One I get TDC as stated above I check to make sure my mark on the balancer and timing pointer are aligned. If they are correct I manually place the balancer to the 8 degrees before and then install the distributor with the rotor pointed at number 1 cylinder. Now I keep the dist lock down loose and apply power to the coil (either with jumper wire or turn key to run position) and hook up number 1 sparkplug but keep the plug removed and grounded and move the dist back and fourth quickly and see the spark. You can then feel the point where it is firing by finding the middle of the back and fourth motion. One you have it close you can snug down the dist and install everything else. Now if everything else is correct you will start right up and your base timing will be very close to where you set the balancer with the pointer (8 degrees before).

I worked at a speed shop when I was 17 (40 now) and an old timer showed this to me and I use it every time I set up a dist.

Thanks, John
I agree! The find TDC and move the distributor trick is really good. An old mechanic showed it to me and I have used it many times to get an engine running. I hope whoever built the engine put the timing chain on correctly.

If you don't have a tab, they can be purchased separately in chrome. Sounds like you have a chrome cover that was made for different sized balancers and they did not install the tab (it just shares 2 of the cover bolts).
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #7
truckster

^^^ That's all good, but he doesn't have a pointer.

Buy a timing tab and install it. There's no other way to be sure you've got the timing right.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #8
bsa1969

Thanks to everyone, the motor has an aftermarket chrome timing cover from where my little brother put a camshaft in. This engine has swapped hands more times than i can count and each one of us has done something different. It was in my dads 1969 c10 but the frame was bent and would be to much to fix. I pulled it about a month ago and tore the top end apart. Replaced the head gaskets, replaced all the gaskets, and painted everything. This past weekend i tried to get it to fire. I cut a straw, and stuck it in the number one cylinder. Got my wife to turn and i thought i found tdc but when i tried to fire it up. nothing. I made shure i was getting fire using the spark plug wire. I think i may have been 180 out.

Ok, chevycruzer, you can create a spark with the distributor just by moving it back and forth? Also i didnt mention this before, Im running an hei distributor with the coil mounted on top. thanks
bsa1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #9
ChevyCruizer
17's too small

Yep, works with HEI.

To check for the TDC on the firing cycle...Feel for compression with your finger/thumb as your wife turns it over, or another way to view it is if you remove the driver side valve cover. If you are on the compression stroke, both valves will be closed as it approaches TDC and the next valve that moves will be the exhaust.

If you are 180 out the intake valve will open next as the piston moves down (drawing in the fuel/air mixture).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsa1969 View Post
Ok, chevycruzer, you can create a spark with the distributor just by moving it back and forth? Also i didnt mention this before, Im running an hei distributor with the coil mounted on top. thanks
68 C10 SWB SS 5 lug power disc brake conversion 2.5 inch drop spindles van tilt column Air Ride Technologies Cool Ride air bag kits Performance Online tubular upper control arms and shock relocator kits ECE super track panhard bar 1 piece side windows
ChevyCruizer is offline   Reply With Quote