The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
68RustBucket

68 C10 Shifter "drifing/not-locking in"

I have a "new" 68 C10 that needs a little love. Purchased it from my brother for my 16 year old daughter and 18 year old son to drive. Anyway, the problem I have is that the on the column shifter doesn't feel like it soundly locks into it's gear position. I can see the indicator (on the column above top) but I don't feel it seating into gear as I shift from Park to Reverse to Drive on the automatic transmission. Once I am in Drive it still moves around a bit and the indicator on the column may or may not be telling the truth at that point for which gear I am in. As I could be in drive, L2 or L1 (can't recall which designators while at work).

I am at work and don't have any pictures of it yet but will try to get some posted tomorrow.

I have reviewed the thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...gear+indicator

Which I will use to check to see if my column shifter is locking into the right detents in the engine compartment when I get up tomorrow (work night shift!!!). This could be a relatively simple problem and if so I would love for a simple solution such as tightening a nut or bolt somewhere, as opposed to trying to rebuild/re-install a steering column. Trying to get the truck running with no issues for the kids so any suggestions would be appreciated. I also need to tighten up the park breaks a bit and fix the passenger side manual window and lock mechanisms.
68RustBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #2
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Re: 68 C10 Shifter "drifing/not-locking in"

Just from your description of the problem, it sounds like the detent is wore out. This is the part on the column with the nub. The nub will get wore after years of use and allow the linkage to be loose. There is also a spring there that may be wore as well.

This is all repairable but may be less hassle to get a rebuilt column or a good used one. Before you are done with this you will be an expert on the subject.

Keep us posted
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote