The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
Rooster's82

Rusty Situation

So check out the pictures...i have wholes like that at both corners of the wind shield. I have a crack in the windshields and i will eventually will be replacing it...but i didn't plan on doing that for a couple of months but i will be getting a paint job in a couple of weeks.

So how would i go about patching that? I have no welding tools, and being so close to the window rubber i don't think welding a patch in would be a good idea. should i just use a screen and some bondo? Right now that is the plan unless someone has a better suggestion.
Attached Images

If you can't find it at the junk yard you don't need it.
Rooster's82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
abebummy26

Re: Rusty Situation

Don't use screen and bondo It will just do it again.

1987 GMC S15 (soon to be a chevy clone)
2.5l, 4 speed, no ps, no pb, no ac

Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Spoken by Cletus the hillbilly
I like stickers... a whole bunch.
abebummy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
69BBsuburban
Right in front of you.

Cutting it out and replacing the metal is the best way...

20 ga. sheet metal, a sheet metal brake, a shrinker and @ 2 hours time would fix it.....
'68 Dodge Charger R/T
1930 Ford Model A

Last edited by 69BBsuburban; 03-19-2008 at 07:02 PM.
69BBsuburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:34 PM   #4
Rooster's82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69BBsuburban View Post
Cutting it out and replacing the metal is the best way...

20 ga. sheet metal, a sheet metal brake, a shrinker and @ 2 hours time would fix it.....
More detail please? I have never done a metal patch before, but with a little guidance, and direction, i'm sure i can make it happen.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:34 PM   #5
slug

I Had The Same Problem On My 83. About 4 Years Ago I Replaced The Rusted Metal But Didnt Use Any Weld Through Primer And The Rust Came Back. I Just Re-did The Repair This Last Summer And Used Weld Through Primer And Rust Encapsulator. I Replaced The Whole Pannel From Half Way Down The A Pillars All The Way To The Cowl. I Got The Patch Pannel From A 89 Burb. Replacing And Welding And Coating With Weld Through Primer/rust Inhibitor Is The Only Way To Repair This Problem And Not Have It Come Back.

ANY COMPITANT BODY SHOP CAN DO THE REPAIR FOR YOU. IT IS RATHER INVOLVED AND TAKES THE RIGHT TOOLS TO DO THE PROJECT. AND YOU HAVE TO MAKE SURE TO GET EVERYTHING LINED UP PROPERLY. IT TOOK ME A COUPLE OF WEEKS OF WORKING EVENINGS AND WEEKENDS TO GET MINE COMPLETED(THATS CUTTING THE PANNEL FROM THE DONOR AND REPLACING/WELDING/FINISHING)

Last edited by slug; 03-19-2008 at 07:38 PM.
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:41 PM   #6
Blackstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by abebummy26 View Post
Don't use screen and bondo It will just do it again.
Agreed... welding in new steel is the only lasting fix.
Blackstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:52 PM   #7
Rooster's82

Can anyone direct me to some good step by step instructions? I don't have access to welding equipment...that is i don't have any and i don't have any friends down here that do either. How can i get my hands on some without having to buy the whole set-up?

Old 03-19-2008, 08:39 PM   #8
slug

YOU MAY BE ABLE TO RENT A MIG UNIT FROM A TOOL RENTAL STORE. BUT, YOU WILL ALSO NEED A GRINDER AND A SPOT WELD CUTTER. IF I WERE YOU I WOULD GO GET SOME ESTIMATES FOR THE REPAIR FROM A FEW BODY SHOPS AND SEE HOW MUCH MONEY IT WOULD COST TO REPLACE THE ROTTED SHEET METAL WITH NEW(from a donor truck). YOU DONT HAVE TO REPLACE THE WHOLE PANNEL IKE I DID. I HAD RUST ON BOTH ENDS AND IN THE FIREWALL PART OF THE COWL. AND THE WINDSHIELD WOULD HAVE TO BE REMOVED, IT IT HAS A CRACK IT WILL NEED TO BE REPLACED ALSO. THE FRONT FENDERS WILL ALSO HAVE TO BE REMOVED MOST LIKELY.

Last edited by slug; 03-19-2008 at 08:41 PM.
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:45 PM   #9
Blackstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster's82 View Post
Can anyone direct me to some good step by step instructions? I don't have access to welding equipment...that is i don't have any and i don't have any friends down here that do either. How can i get my hands on some without having to buy the whole set-up?
Here's what I'd do:

There should be a Sunbelt Rental near you. According to their website, they offer a MillerMatic 135 mig welder for rental. MIGs are the best option for beginners, just read up on welding safety before you touch it... it only takes an hour or two of practice to get the technique down using miscellaneous scrap metal. A little googling will provide you with endless resources. Youtube lists some great tutorials under "mig welding" also.

That said, here's my disclaimer: I too, am a beginner, still in the youtube phase of my research so my advice may result in blindness, premature birth, low birth weight, scorched eyebrows, death and/or dismemberment... etc.

Anyway, that's what I'd do.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:25 PM   #10
Rooster's82

Cool, I have had some experience with welding...material science class in high school, and building bazaar and meaningless structures out of scrap behind my friends dads auto shop.

i haven't used a MIG welder before...but there has to be a first time for everything...youtube here i come.

If that fails, i may have to bite it and pay someone else to do it for me. I don't know if other people feel this way...but is seems like I'm cheating myself in someway...or that the truck won't have the same meaning when it is done. This is my first truck, and my first real project, and i lack experience...but i do want to do as much as i can. What do i have to lose? my eye brows and a $400 truck? I guess it could turn out like total crap...but it would be my crap....and next time around it will be slightly less crappy.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:04 PM   #11
slug

if you do decide to do it yourself, useing a mig welder, use spot welds and do a spot weld in one spot and move to another spot and put a weld. alternate putting the welds so you dont warp the area. you will also have to have the welder set to weld sheetmetal and use a co2 argon mix(75/25 or c25) and use a .023 or .025 soild 70s-6 wire. and dont forget to use the weld through primer on the backside of your patches before you weld, otherwise your repair wont last worth a crap.i would use the weld through primer in everything you can get it on just to be safe.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:10 PM   #12
Rooster's82

Will do. I have a bit of research to do...but this is a good start.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:32 PM   #13
69BBsuburban
Right in front of you.

Well...since your limited with tools....you can make a patch using a wood block as a "buck" to hammer the edge over for the flange. Once that is done, pie cut the flange so you can bend the panel to fit the contour of the cab. But you will need a welder, or a freind with one.

Or.....cut the piece from another truck....many wrecking yards will let you do that if the rest of the cab is junk..
'68 Dodge Charger R/T
1930 Ford Model A
69BBsuburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:34 PM   #14
Blackstone

I've got another idea. Whatever you do, the windshield needs to come out to perform this repair. That said, Eastwood Co has the best deal going on body panel adhesive. To my knowledge, theirs is the only one that can be applied with a standard caulking gun, which significantly cuts the cost of the process. http://eastwood.resultspage.com/sear...29&submit.y=11

If you can fabricate some sort of patch as 69BBsuburban suggested, and be sure that all rust is removed before beginning, you should be able to create a permanent repair without welding.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:30 PM   #15
Rooster's82

interesting...I didn't know they made a no weld kit. This may be the answer i'm looking for. I guess i'm going to have to step up my search for a windshield. I was thinking about getting my insurance to put a new one in for me...it cracked when i hit a bump in the road. I wonder how they handle that...If i could take out the old one and do the repair then have a guy come and install the new one.

(i would do it myself, but if i can get a free windshield out of the deal...)

Last edited by Rooster's82; 03-22-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:32 PM   #16
Blackstone

Panel adhesives have become widely used by body shops in recent years. While it's not recommended for structural repairs, it's slowly becoming the preferred method of installing replacement panels, where heat from welding can distort the surrounding sheetmetal.

In your situation, you can just clean up the area, hammer out a patch, glue it in place, tap it down a bit, then apply filler to smooth it out.

Here's some links to check out:
http://www.tech-cor.net/AutoResBulle...6-3/1996-3.htm

http://www.lord.com/Home/ProductsSer...0/Default.aspx

I should also add... you won't need the entire kit for your windshield repair, but it sure looks handy if you plan on hanging any side panels later. There are other manufacturers out there, but most require special applicator guns ranging from $50 - $400 while Eastwood's setup is geared toward the DIY hobbyist.

Last edited by Blackstone; 03-22-2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:41 PM   #17
blu87

BEFORE you close anything up spray some osphoric acid all around under the surrounding area. That will stop any future rust in that area.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #18
johnnyclack

Location: On the banks of the Clackamas River, Eagle CreeK Oregon
Question Re: Rusty Situation

Anyone know how this turned out ? Are the any other posts dealing with similar repairs of this same area ?

I have the same exact problem on my 1979 K-30. I was about to attempt posting some pic’s, no need too same problem same location on my cowling.

I do have fabricating skills & access to cutting/grinding/welding equipment. Just not weather to patch or cut + repair. I am leaning this way.

Just painted SEM rust sealer on it last night
johnnyclack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #19
donut

I did repairs similar through welding and patching. Mine was just a small spot, figured just a little plug weld. Pulled the windshield, both lower corners, under the gasket, were rotted out 10+ inches long.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #20
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

i had a hole under the glass ,my friend just filled it with windshield adheasive goo
but i didn't care it wasn't visable ,not a show truck ,worked for years
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote