The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2004, 11:25 AM   #1
79Suburban

Electric tailgate window problems

I have a 79 Suburban and half the time the rear window on the tailgate won't go down. I put another switch in and it still doesn't work. When the window is up and you push the switch up the volt gauge drops. When you push the switch down the gauge doesn't move and neither does the window. I tried hooking direct power to the down wire and that didn't work either. Then sometimes I'll be driving and push the switch down and the window will go down. Any sugestions? Thanks
79Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 07:12 AM   #2
the baron

seems as a bad connection somewhere ( switch ? ) or the motor is in bad shape...

The Baron
the baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 03:58 PM   #3
ALASKA ALUMINUM BEAR

TRY THIS ON

HELLO 79-BURB

I HAVE BEEN THROUGH THIS SEVERAL TIMES...

Including my window going down at 40 below zero and not coming up....

any way---it's never your dash switch--but change it out---and it's never your motor but re do all connections....

your problem lies in the rear door close switch-----located on the body right side when the door is open-----sorry if you allready know this switch is there but 99 percent of folks with burbs don't know this switch exists,,,,,,,,change this out so your circut can tell your dash switch the door is closed......

but with a 79-----do change every thik out or more problems will come up with that window at the worse possible time...

let me know how you make out with that lower door switch...

best of luck

ALASKAN ALUMINUM BEAR
ALASKA ALUMINUM BEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 05:35 AM   #4
jimfulco

Where's that switch again?
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 06:23 PM   #5
ALASKA ALUMINUM BEAR

SWITCH IN DOOR

HI BIG JIMFULCO------
thanks ever so for sending me to this board--allready found several things i needed and meet some good helpfull folks...

The switch i am talking about on burbs
is down low on the passenger side-- AND ON THE FRAME NOT THE DOOR -- when you open the tail gate door......it was really never meant to be seen---it's just there to tell the dash switch--the door is open or closed--so it will allow the window to be rolled up......

it's also a way to work on the guts of the door----hold the switch---or like me put a permanate pice of duct tape over it....and with your tail gate lowered you windows rolls out--with the dash switch-----dosen't work that way using the back keyed switch......

while it may vary on some years i have allways found--one on burbs--between 73-86------it's also tough to replace cause it's considered a factory body piece and not a tailgate piece----just to let you know at chevy parts,,,,,,

Hope this helps-----it comes from alot of work figuring this out---and of coarce replacing everything twice---before i found that switch.......and after 3 replacements now i still can't get my rear key switch to work.......

good luck and again jim thanks for all the help on both boards....

ALASKAN ALUMINUM BEAR------JOHN

Last edited by ALASKA ALUMINUM BEAR; 03-22-2004 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:32 PM   #6
sierrasports
BANNED

Re: TRY THIS ON

Quote:
Originally posted by ALASKA ALUMINUM BEAR
HELLO 79-BURB
your problem lies in the rear door close switch-----located on the body right side when the door is open

yep... yep... this IS your problem

and if you cant put your hands on a new switch, take out the old one and clean the contacts on it. might get you by for a while.

and yes...it does seem to go out at the most in-opportune time aa

hope this helps

there are a few part outs in here as well, you might want to try them for a replacement.
sierrasports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 12:51 AM   #7
79Suburban

Thanks, This switch controls the window going DOWN? If that is correct I now have to figure out how to get the window down so I can look for the switch.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:00 AM   #8
sierrasports
BANNED

omg thats right....lol

ok.... you can do this

get in, unscrew the reardoor panel ... the should be phillips heads all along the perimeter- remove all ...panel will slide up and out..it hooks in at top...

you will now be seeing a access panel with alot more screws..

remove these and panel

you now should see everything in the door

in the middle there is your winder motor... could someone else take it from here... please... bill...aa?

i know my limitations... at this point i really cant tell you, but i do know you should be in a position to lower your glass...

further more... if you have rear air, you should have a interior panel at rear door passenger side for your ac lines...and you could get to the back of the switch from here as well..

ok.. thats where i can get you on this, sorry
sierrasports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 09:54 AM   #9
79Suburban

I followed the wires from the motor to a switch inside the tailgate. It has a plunger type top that gets pushed in when the tailgate latches closed. I ran a jumper wire to byepass the switch but it still didn't allow the window to go gown. I didn't see any other switches.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:48 PM   #10
ALASKA ALUMINUM BEAR

hi 79 burb

sorry i have been out of town....

the switch you need to put the door down---is not in the tailgate.....atleast not in mine and i am pretty sure not in yours...

again it is a switch-on the frame side of the truck on the right---not on or in the door.....this switch is accesed through the passenger side tail lite.....

putting power to this switch is the only way i know of opening your gate.....but some elec doors in the back when you remove the panel on the door have a place for a sockett head to crank them down,,,,a manual would help you on this.....i have one and will look it up for you----

were all this problems come from--is up under your right rear fender well---which i should of told you-----all the wires to your tail gate run up under this well and needed to be change out from road water salt and junk rotting those wires......

first go in through the right tail lite and add power to the wires going into you door---if that does not work then your power is lost up under your wheel well....

i will check my manual for you and post what i find.....but if you call any chevy serivice place or go to one---tell them you need to replace this switch for the door-on the right body side....they will show you if you ask a exploded view of it--so you'll understand....

i'll try to get back with you tomorrow....

aa bear
Old 04-09-2004, 03:30 PM   #11
ALASKA ALUMINUM BEAR

sorry 79 burb----while my manual shows this siwtch-in breakdowns--in the same place i told you for all the years--it dosen't say a word about it.....i had a long road of deleting which wire was bad----and found my problem as stated above-in the rite tail lite going to the door.....the following problem i had with the same outcome--was the wires under the passenger wheel well----these are the direct power wires to your door......once you check them all out----you'll find the break and get the window down.....then replace that switch........there is no easy fix to this;;;;it takes alot of dirty hard work to find those wires.....but you allready know this........i fixed the first one.....but the second time it went out i pulled into a gas station.....and the guy there---showed me what was up under the ww--said it is a common problem with older burbs.......he fixed it for 15 bucks......what me to send him to your house......wish i could for you.....good luck.....please post your end results....as several folks have the same problem.......aabear