The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
vectorit
What?

T-case R&R

Well, I need to pull my Rockwell T221 to fix a nasty leak that is coming from what looks like the mating surface of the T-case to the trans.

I have never pulled a T-case out, nor have I installed one to a trans.

Is this something that an amateur like myself be able to tackle?

I'm currently looking for manual information on this, nothing so far but I am still looking none the less. Just thought I would ask if this is something I should even attempt to do on my own, or should I not bother and look for a competent shop to do it?

The hassle factor on this is high for me, so the idea of taking it to a shop is winning right now.

But, if it's so easy a cave man could do it... Then I will plan on doing it myself.

Thoughts?
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
bikes&bowties

Re: T-case R&R

Definitely do it myself. done quite a few old ones and a couple new ones. just unhook the connections (either electrical hookups or shifters/speedo cables etc) then get another big guy and/or a jack and start unbolting. should slip right off. just remember they arent light. then clean up the surfaces put your sealant on. torque the 8 (or however many are on your adapter) bolts down and hook your stuff back up. you are now back in business.. it will be a 2-3 hour job.
bikes&bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:54 PM   #3
vectorit
What?

That's great news!
I will keep thinking I am gonna do this then.
Only rub is, I am flying solo.
All my friends are too far away to lend a hand.
So that may be a big issue, since I do know how heavy this equipment is.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
67gmcstepside

Don't forget the 2 bolts that are inside the adapter. You access from the inspection plate. Drove me nuts when I pulled mine. Could understand why it wouldn't come apart. If you need pics let me know as I have a spare 221 sitting in my garage.
67gmcstepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:34 PM   #5
nyncompute

I was going through the same thing recently. I even told the mechanic I was coming in. Then I decided to tackle it and just take my time. Because of the size and having read posts warning me about how unwieldy they can be, I made a little jig to help. I have a lift that I use for my Harley that I adapted for the purpose.

Trust me when I say I was intimidated to do it. I'm a amateur mechanic at best. But do some research before hand and have at it. Mine ultimately went in with very few hitches. Although mine was a NP205 with an automatic, I'd of done the same with whatever Id had.
Jump in my brother... the water's fine
Old 09-08-2010, 11:28 PM   #6
vectorit
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyncompute View Post
I was going through the same thing recently. I even told the mechanic I was coming in. Then I decided to tackle it and just take my time. Because of the size and having read posts warning me about how unwieldy they can be, I made a little jig to help. I have a lift that I use for my Harley that I adapted for the purpose.

Trust me when I say I was intimidated to do it. I'm a amateur mechanic at best. But do some research before hand and have at it. Mine ultimately went in with very few hitches. Although mine was a NP205 with an automatic, I'd of done the same with whatever Id had.
Jump in my brother... the water's fine
Oh heck yea! You just solved a big issue I new I was going to have. That was what I was going to do about lowering/lifting the TC, and just so happens I have the that same HD jack!

Thanks a million for the photo with the pointers!
Old 09-09-2010, 02:07 AM   #7
nyncompute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post
Oh heck yea! You just solved a big issue I new I was going to have. That was what I was going to do about lowering/lifting the TC, and just so happens I have the that same HD jack!

Thanks a million for the photo with the pointers!
Cool so you like Harbor Fright too huh? I got the idea of that jig from other posts. I just adapted it to my application and jack.. heres a few more on how I did it. A few coupling nuts and some eye bolts etc.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:26 AM   #8
vectorit
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyncompute View Post
Cool so you like Harbor Fright too huh? I got the idea of that jig from other posts. I just adapted it to my application and jack.. heres a few more on how I did it. A few coupling nuts and some eye bolts etc.
Well, my jack is a Sears Craftsman.
Looking at your photo's here, your jack has a shorter lifting surface than mine.
I'd think that's no biggie.
I was thinking of just drilling holes through my lift surfaces, since I don't have those large inner bolts that you have the eye bolts attached to.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:26 PM   #9
vectorit
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67gmcstepside View Post
Don't forget the 2 bolts that are inside the adapter. You access from the inspection plate. Drove me nuts when I pulled mine. Could understand why it wouldn't come apart. If you need pics let me know as I have a spare 221 sitting in my garage.
Thanks a million for that tip! I am sure I would have wrestled with that for half a day myself...

Pictures are worth a million words to me, so if you have some I'd love to see them.