The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-09-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
misslemanid

Lowering the rig, need advice.

First of all, I know this is not the 'burb' forum but this is a general question. I plan on using this advice for my 78 shortbed too. Today I decided to try and lower my suburban by removing some leaf springs. It had 8 with an overload in the stack. Its a 1/2 ton but its a trailering special. How many should I remove? Four or five maybe? Also, want to lower the front. Is there a problem with cutting 2 coils for a 4" drop?
Posted via Mobile Device
misslemanid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
THE "10" SILVERADO

Re: Lowering the rig, need advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslemanid View Post
First of all, I know this is not the 'burb' forum but this is a general question. I plan on using this advice for my 78 shortbed too. Today I decided to try and lower my suburban by removing some leaf springs. It had 8 with an overload in the stack. Its a 1/2 ton but its a trailering special. How many should I remove? Four or five maybe? Also, want to lower the front. Is there a problem with cutting 2 coils for a 4" drop?
Posted via Mobile Device
My truck is the same way, HD springs with overload. From what I read though you don't want to remove many or the springs will sag, sometimes really bad. Others say just the overload and maybe 1 or 2 more.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-09-2012, 12:43 AM   #3
misslemanid

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE "10" SILVERADO View Post
My truck is the same way, HD springs with overload. From what I read though you don't want to remove many or the springs will sag, sometimes really bad. Others say just the overload and maybe 1 or 2 more.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, I have heard it both ways. I've heard guys say they're just running four springs and others say they wouldn't run a half ton with less than 6. I dunno, I'm trying to see what the general consensus is here. I thought about trying drop shackles but when I looked at where they would ride, I noticed they would hit the floor in the back. Either way, I want a little bit of a softer ride. Later I will add helper air bags for when I'm towing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-09-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
misslemanid

Bueller?...........Bueller?.......
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-09-2012, 11:18 PM   #5
INSIDIOUS '86

Why not flip kit then take the rear shackle and turn it upside down? With the shackle pointing down it will lift the rear and give a smoother ride.
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:39 AM   #6
misslemanid

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDIOUS '86 View Post
Why not flip kit then take the rear shackle and turn it upside down? With the shackle pointing down it will lift the rear and give a smoother ride.
Posted via Mobile Device
Wow! I would have never thought of that. That sounds like a good idea. I might have to think about doing that. I already took apart both spring packs. Two of the leafs on the drivers side were completely broken in two. I'm not completely sure but this rig may have already had lowering springs in the back and the overloads may have been added later. I dunno. Was a weird setup. It had one 3/8"x4" long pieces of steel sandwiched in between the overloads and the next spring on the back of both sides. I went with five leafs and I'm glad I didn't go with any less. I'll upload pics in a couple weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device