The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
crews
It just doesn't matter

More Suburban seat questions....

Ok- I am looking at a 68 Suburban ( sorry- not a done deal yet and no pics yet)

It has the narrow middle seat and no third seat ( and no provisions that I can find for one)

My questions are:

1.) What does it take to put buckets/ console in a Suburban that has a bench?

2.) What kind of hardware does it take to mount a third seat in a 68 with the wood floor? Sorry I am completely ignorant here.

3.) Are the widths of the 2nd and 3rd seats the same, just the mounting brackets are different? If so, is the seat a standard width ( like Blazer rear seat?)?

4.) Assuming that it is possible to mount one, does anyone have a third seat for sale? ( the interior is currently blue, but it will be changed so color isn't that important. If a blue one is available, that would be my first pick just because it would delay me having to do seat covers.)

If you don't like me- TAKE A NUMBER; There are people ahead of you!!
crews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
MrGoodpliers

Re: More Suburban seat questions....

For the buckets, you need braces under the floor for the inside tracks. The 2nd and 3rd seats are the same, but use different brackets.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:41 AM   #3
Frizzle Fry

I'm not sure if a narrow 2nd row can be easily converted to a 3rd row. You can use a blazer back seat though for the 3rd row.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:37 AM   #4
botmfedr1

Actually, if your suburban came from the factory with all three seats, then the second, or middle seat was narrow, like a blazer, so anyone sittin' in the third seat could get by the middle seat, without having to climb over. I was told the second seat was wider, if it didn't come with all three seats. If your looking to mount the second seat, the brackets are the same as a blazer, just some hold down brackets for the tube rests. the third seat is nothing like the middle seat.
Edit:Sorry but you have to be a subscriber to post a want to buy. Oldiron forum staff:
If you guys can get a hold of " standard catalog of 4x4s, or trucks. it has alot of good info in it. including all the options for these trucks.

Last edited by oldiron; 03-14-2008 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Want to buy by non-subscriber
botmfedr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:18 AM   #5
oldiron
Designated Grumpy Old Man

botmfedr1,
Welcome to the board. And thanks for sharing your good information about the seats.
Sorry I had to edit your post on the want to buy in your post. If you could take the time to read the rules of this board it will help you under stand what can be posted and what can't.
Sincerely,
Dennis
oldiron
forum staff
oldiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:32 PM   #6
crews
It just doesn't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by botmfedr1 View Post
Actually, if your suburban came from the factory with all three seats, then the second, or middle seat was narrow, like a blazer, so anyone sittin' in the third seat could get by the middle seat, without having to climb over. I was told the second seat was wider, if it didn't come with all three seats. If your looking to mount the second seat, the brackets are the same as a blazer, just some hold down brackets for the tube rests. the third seat is nothing like the middle seat.
Edit:Sorry but you have to be a subscriber to post a want to buy. Oldiron forum staff:
If you guys can get a hold of " standard catalog of 4x4s, or trucks. it has alot of good info in it. including all the options for these trucks.
Thanks for the info. I knew that mine originally had a third seat in it as it has the narrow second seat and the mounting holes in the floor for the third seat.

What I don't know is if I can mount a narrow second seat in the third seat spot OR if I have to have a Blazer/ Sub third seat specific to fit correctly.

It all may be a mute point as I may be turning this project over to someone else.....

If you don't like me- TAKE A NUMBER; There are people ahead of you!!

Last edited by crews; 03-15-2008 at 09:32 PM.
crews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:49 AM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Joe... I swapped the feet around from my second row seat and 3rd row seat, and there was no issues. As far as I was able to tell, the second and third seats are the same once the feet are removed.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote