The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2004, 05:58 AM   #1
TwinTurbo

Got the new exhaust done

I didn't like the exhaust that was under my truck, it scraped the floor and sounded too wussy, so I ordered some 3" in/out race bullets and set of to fabricate a new dual exhaust with 4" exhaust on the sides, completely from stainless steel.

I was gonna do 3" from the headers but it was too tight on the trans crossmember so I have 2,75" running to the mufflers, then 3" from the outlet to a 4" end section on it.

Here's some pics:

It sounds real good, this movie does not do it justice (damn hens screaming bloody murder and the microphone plops)

sound
TwinTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 12:08 PM   #2
screwballl
Tonawanda 454

i know stainless can be a pain to weld as is evident in your second pic, also might want to put a heat sheild or something around the gas tank there, thats the only problem area with custom exhaust with our older GM trucks...
but it still looks and sounds damn good
I have plans for complete reworking of my exhaust from new headers straight back to dual exhaust, probly glass packs with 3" chrome tips right under the rear chrome bumper

-------------------

Last edited by screwballl; 03-28-2004 at 12:10 PM.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 12:10 PM   #3
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

is that the 12" or 18" bullet? i was thinking about getting some to compliment my new engine
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 12:54 PM   #4
TwinTurbo

it's a 12" long bullet. The hanger is welded on the muffler so that part is not stainless, the problem was there was some kind of oily coating on the muffler that caused the tig to splatter a bit.

The tips are made from 2 elbows, no part is mandrel bent, everything is made from prefab sections.

I still have to put a heat shield on the tank, just a simple piece of stainless plate.
Old 03-28-2004, 03:44 PM   #5
rocktriviagod

Thumbs up sweet

That looks GREAT !! I hate to sound negative, but this thought came up when I meditated on a similar project. Is there a saftey concern with having the exhaust coming out under your gas filler??
1998 Chev Astro Van (Wife's Hauler)
2001 Honda 1500 Valkyrie Interstate (dad's toy)
2003 Honda 1800 Gold Wing (mom's toy)
rocktriviagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 03:49 PM   #6
TwinTurbo

It doesn't get that hot at the end.

Also, it's impossible to overfill here because pumps have safety cut offs, there's a 2nd tube in the nozzle that sucks up fuel vapors and when liquid is sucked up the pump automatically cuts off.
Old 03-28-2004, 04:09 PM   #7
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

we have those saftey cutoffs too. but i've still overfilled my truck before. if you dont have the nozzle in the hole far enough, it will shoot some back out at you when its full.

just dont leave the truck running and have it backfire at you while you're filling it up
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 10:13 PM   #8
r0lf-
Hotwheels?

Nice work on the exhaust and all. But thats kinda overkill. You gotta need some serious horses for dual 2 3/4. It might sound a little better than smaller piping, but your just killing TQ.

IMO bullets just dont sound too good to me. They dont sound tuned at all. If you want loud, then there ya go. But for me, i prefer a more refined sound.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:16 PM   #9
76HighSierra
DAMN, I love Big Blocks!

Yeah, I feel the same way. Bullets are too much for me. A lot of people are starting to dislike them, due to their rampant popularity, but I love the sound of 50 series Flowmasters. Whenever I get tired of the Flow-Tech Terminators ( I don't particularly care for them, either) that are on my truck now, Flowmaster is where I'm going.
454 c.i.d./ TH400. *Soon to get a mild warming over.*
3.40 rear.
76HighSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 10:53 PM   #10
TIMSPEED

I think your truck sounds BADASS TT!! I have one of those race bullets under my vette, in an X-pipe setup (The Bullet is the X section) I used it to keep flow high, but to kill the resonance. It does its job quite well.
Makes me wanna ditch my hooker mufflers and get me some race bullets!
Old 03-29-2004, 05:05 AM   #11
TwinTurbo

Quote:
Originally posted by r0lf-
Nice work on the exhaust and all. But thats kinda overkill. You gotta need some serious horses for dual 2 3/4. It might sound a little better than smaller piping, but your just killing TQ.

IMO bullets just dont sound too good to me. They dont sound tuned at all. If you want loud, then there ya go. But for me, i prefer a more refined sound.
??? How do you know what I am running in my engine and if i can get away with 2,75 pipes??? Also, the collector is the most iportant section when it comes to scavenging, that's where you lose to TQ (large diamter/short collector with large primary pipes). The

I did not lose any TQ, in fact I think I gained some over the crappy walker turbo mufflers I had with the 2,25" dual pipes.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:54 PM   #12
r0lf-
Hotwheels?

I didnt mean to step on any toes. But you need some serious HP or displacement to need anything over 2.5" true duals on a 350. And I do remember reading a post somewhere that your motor is a 350 and it wasnt that hot. (Not in a bad way)
Old 03-29-2004, 03:09 PM   #13
8t5Silverado
Mudslides 'r my specialty

That looks and sounds cool.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/500339
8t5Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 03:24 PM   #14
bigblock73
yeller

Cool

Looks good, sounds loud.

People, if someone post a pic of their truck or a mod they did...don't rip on them or tell them you don't like it...move on and keep your comments to yourself.

It is one thing to maybe point out a future problem or concern based on your experience or knowledge, but telling them you don't like it is not cool.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 05:44 PM   #15
TwinTurbo

Quote:
I didnt mean to step on any toes. But you need some serious HP or displacement to need anything over 2.5" true duals on a 350. And I do remember reading a post somewhere that your motor is a 350 and it wasnt that hot. (Not in a bad way)
No toes stepped on.

It depends on what you call hot, it makes very decent power. It's a 355, steel crank, pink rods, flat top pistons. It's got ported 2,02/1,6 valved fuelie heads with a full port, bowl blending and chamber work to unshroud. It's also got a 274/274 cam, 1&5/8"- 3"hooker headers (chromed by chroming shop, not the shoddy hooker work that peels), the intake is an edelbrock rpm and the carb is an edelbrock performer 650 but I'm thinking about replacing it with a demon. If i have to make an estimate i'd say it makes over 350Hp. It's pretty fast for a truck, and it smokes most corvettes on the streets here, in fact it is considerably faster than my corvette was when it was running pretty good (300 HP roughly)

Then again., I consider my other engine a lot hotter than that but most would call that one overkill.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:46 PM   #16
r0lf-
Hotwheels?

Sounds like a nice little motor.

I dont think we have to play like we are in preschool around here. Anybodys opinion is welcome if you ask me... just as long as its presented in a decent matter. Not just blatently slamming someones truck.

I think its a nice setup. Just not my tastes
Old 03-29-2004, 05:54 PM   #17
TwinTurbo

it may be a little motor for US standards but here it's considered a large motor (with most people running 1,4Liter 4 bangers). Then again, parts prices (triple that of US), gas that costs 5,75$ a gallon and so on will keep you limited. I've been thinking about a big block but it's just too costly to run it.

As for the pipe diameter, that's BS IMO. It's sort of like the people that say you need backpressure or people claiming a certain muffler makes horsepower. Any muffler that is a restriction (and about all of them are) costs horsepower. If you need mufflers to hp you don't have no HP

Last edited by TwinTurbo; 03-29-2004 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:58 PM   #18
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
I dont think we have to play like we are in preschool around here. Anybodys opinion is welcome if you ask me... just as long as its presented in a decent matter. Not just blatently slamming someones truck.
I agree...but he never asked for anyones opinion if they liked it or not.

I am not angry, just sick of people always having to pick apart others stuff and/or be right all the time. If you thought I was over-reacting I apologize. In my initial reading I took it that way.

I get sick of having to put up with "pre-schoolers" around here at times, so maybe I over-reacted.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:07 PM   #19
r0lf-
Hotwheels?

hah... this whole thing isnt that big of a deal. No slamming going on here.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:46 PM   #20
TIMSPEED

I wouldn't be talking about the motors TwinTurbo builds, especially since the one he's putting in his vette is 100% INSANE!
BTW: You've motivated me TT to go get my exhaust ran out the sides like that, except with 3" tips.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:47 PM   #21
TIMSPEED

Quote:
Originally posted by TwinTurbo
As for the pipe diameter, that's BS IMO. It's sort of like the people that say you need backpressure or people claiming a certain muffler makes horsepower. Any muffler that is a restriction (and about all of them are) costs horsepower. If you need mufflers to hp you don't have no HP
Exactly! That's why dragsters and such run open PRIMARIES!! They don't even have collectors!
Old 03-29-2004, 11:40 PM   #22
r0lf-
Hotwheels?

Quote:
Originally posted by TIMSPEED

Exactly! That's why dragsters and such run open PRIMARIES!! They don't even have collectors!
How many dragsters do you see on the street? Open headers costs TQ in most cases. TQ is pretty much streetability on these trucks since they are heavy. You can have 500HP but not at a streetable RPM and no TQ at a streetable RPM and what have you got? A car you wouldnt want to drive everyday on the street.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:56 PM   #23
bigblock73
yeller

This might be like comparing apples to oranges, but I'll give it a go anyhow..

I put a Dynomax cat-back it on my 4-cyl Ranger a while back...and lost power doing so. I personally think that having a better free flowing muffler and more efficiant exhaust has cost me power in the long run, especially on a 4-cylinder powered truck. I believe the kit was designed for 6-cylinder apps. Before I changed out the exhaust I know for a fact it was quicker and I had better throttle response.

Tube size is very important and should be matched up with the engines performance...if it wasn't, everybody would be running 4" exhaust.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:24 AM   #24
The Dude

i lie the exhaust. looks cool coming out right there! good job

on my truck i run dual 2.5 in with long tube headers and flowmaster 40 series(2 chamber) mufflers that dump behind the cab. i wanted to make it louder so i bought a pair of flowmaster 10 series (1 chamber drag series) mufflers and put them on. boy what a difference. i had lost a real noticeable amount of low end power and lost some gas mileage too, not to mention they were loud! anyways, the mufflers came off the next day and on went the 40's. i really like the sound of the 40's i just wanted it a lil bit louder. the single chamebrs sounded like the would be a home under a hot muscle car not a lifted truck.
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 06:17 AM   #25
TwinTurbo

Quote:
Originally posted by TIMSPEED
I wouldn't be talking about the motors TwinTurbo builds, especially since the one he's putting in his vette is 100% INSANE!
BTW: You've motivated me TT to go get my exhaust ran out the sides like that, except with 3" tips.
Tim, I wanted to do a 3" tip at first too but when I mocked it up the pipe seemed way too small, it just fell away. I wanted it to stand out a bit (must be a little bit of ricer in me ) so i went with the 4"