The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
BBChevy71

Question 71 3 speed column linkage "swivel parts"?

Hey folks,

I have a 1971 Chevy C10 pickup, BB 402 engine, 3 speed manual transmission with shifter on the column. I have been looking for some parts for my truck but I cannot even find the name of the parts, and I went to a dealer that had a parts manual printed in 1979 that was supposed to cover the 71's. But the dealer manual didn't have a diagram that showed the area we were looking for so (in my model year) I can't even (for sure) get GM part numbers much less names although we did guess that some part numbers might be right. I hope that you can help me in some way to track down these parts or know the proper name so I know how to ask for them.

I'm just a tinkerer but hopefully I can give a description of what I'm looking for. The two shift linkage rods from the transmission come up to the two plates on the column that are moved by the shift lever. The linkage rods join these plates with a swivel mechanism on the end of each rod where the rod slides up through a hole in the swivel. Each swivel will actually detach from the column with a 9/16" nut and then slide off the top of the linkage rods.

It is this swivel and all the washers, bushings, etc. that go on the swivel that I am interested in. The problem with my truck is that some of the parts on these swivels are missing (or have been rigged) so the rods slide in the swivel when I try to shift. Because it has been rigged in the past (it was my grandfather's truck long ago and he worked at a county school bus shop), I don't even know what the stuff on these swivels should even look like and how they tighten down to hold the linkage rods in place. Each of the two on it now are differently set up, although one looks like it may be they way it should be (except for being worn out).

So in summary, I'm looking for these two swivels and all the washers, clamp pieces, bushings, etc. go on them so the linkage rods won't slide. If you have a picture (or know where I can find a picture) that shows me what they *should* look like that would be great, too!

If it would help to see what was on there I can post a picture tomorrow of what I took off the truck when my 2nd/3rd gear rod slid out and I broke down.

Thanks. - David
BBChevy71 is offline   Reply With Quote