The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2010, 02:41 AM   #1
LMN8UR

Eeyore to get a transplant

Here's a picture of my '72 back in 2001 shortly after I bought her. She looked Ok, but ran like well Eeyore "OK if I gotta" (Before I realized that it had a 2.76:1 rear).

The 2-bbl was worn plum out and ran real rich so my first project was to install an Edelbrock Performer intake, 600 carb, and HEI dizzy.

I traveled a lot for work back then, and I needed something a bit more dependable. My brother (a true professional mechanic) took Eeyore for a week and did this to her. Since 2001 this truck has been in every state east of the Mississippi excluding Maine and Wisconsin.

When gas peaked I replaced the old 3-speed with a NP-833 overdrive. Man that thing is sweet! Why more of you guys aren't doing that I'll never figure out! Plus Hooker headers an X-pipe and new 2.25 pipes.
Remember, I still have the 2.76 rear. . 65mph = 1400 rpm.

My brothers rebuild now has 175K miles on it, a couple weeks ago I kicked her in the butt and ever since then I've heard some unusual knocking coming from the engine.

I've moved out of Tennessee some time back, and left my mechanic behind. So I found a friend of a friend in Culpeper who has his own speed shop and I'm getting a 383 package rated at 410hp and 440 torque. I'm having him change a few things that will lower the hp, but pick up some torque.

QUESTIONS:
1. My current 168 tooth flywheel is drilled for an 11" clutch. Can I put a 12" clutch and flywheel under my existing bellhousing?
2. With my new horses under the hood and my extreme gearing, Who's man enough to see what the Eeyore on steroids will do top end? NOT ME ! ! !

Hope the picture come through. . .
Attached Images

TKO-500 & 3.08:1 rear

I Love HEMI's, they're soft & chewy!
LMN8UR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
splehigh

Re: Eeyore to get a transplant

Interesting trans. Do you know what cars/trucks they came in?
splehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
usmcchevy
Has more rust than truck...

Sounds like you will have fun with your new motor. Please share about this trans you are running

LSx Swap FAQ index
usmcchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:48 PM   #4
BluTrukker
BOHICA

I'm curious about the trans too. I've never heard of it. I have a 3OTT with factory OD, but the OD isn't working and parts are hard to find. If your swap is economical, I may just follow your path. By the way how did you get the gear ratio in the rear, Was it factory?
Old 02-24-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
basemodel67
Factory Strippers Rule!

I think those trannys came in early 80's Chevy and GMC trucks. Make sure you get the bellhousing to match as some have a different tranny mount pattern!

67 Chevy Short Fleet

PLAN: LQ9, 4L60, D60

Looking for School Bus Gauges - Help me out!
basemodel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
LMN8UR

The New Process NP-833 started out in the Mopar muscle of the late 60's & early 70's.
In the 80's GM put them in the Chevy and GMC trucks and full size vans aka MY6. The tranny length and input / output shafts are identical to the old Saginaws of our trucks.

Since Eeyore makes plenty of torque, and the rear has the 2.76, it was only a couple good punches before I found the weakest link. There's a reason they say the saginaws are only good for 250 hp. Of course you'd think I'd learn, but hey even a little 600 cfm sounds good opened up.

"basemodel67" is right, the first 833 I bought had a standard Chevy bellhousing bolt pattern, but the tranny carried over the old Chrysler bolt pattern. The bellhousing didn't have the pad mounts and was configured for a hydraulic clutch. I was about to give up when I found my current one, which I'm told came out of a '85 GMC 1/2 ton. The eBay seller swore it had the standard bolt pattern, and I was a pain and hounded him till he sent me extra pictures. I eventually won it for around $250, and the seller only charged me $25 S/H (I screwed that up!).

The swap took me less than 3 hours, (Of course I changed out 3 Saginaws prior so I didn't have rusty bolts to deal with!) the most time was cutting the floor for the shifter! It was too easy.

The MY6 NP-833 has a 3.09 1st, 1.67 2nd, 1 3rd, and 0.73 OD.

More info here: http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_cata...rhaul_kit.html

I wonder what I'll be breaking when I drop the 383 in? ? ?

TKO-500 & 3.08:1 rear

I Love HEMI's, they're soft & chewy!
LMN8UR is offline   Reply With Quote