The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2005, 01:01 AM   #1
cypress TX 72
Saving one 72 at a time!!

Trim kits info wanted

Can you guys give me some info on the aftermarket trim kits. I have done a complete restore 72 Cheyenne Super and have got to the trim phase..
Looking like its going to cost between $800 - $1,000- does that sound right.
Any info bad or good I would like to hear.
I have posted this on the parts board as well, if any of you have this new or very, very clean I am interested.
Probably fat chance, but I could see someone buying it then changing their mind.
cypress TX 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 06:39 AM   #2
byrd
Union Electrician

Yes that is correct on pricing from what I have seen.. Randy
Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 06:46 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Where have you looked?Are these places offering complete kits w/mounting hardware?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 07:24 AM   #4
Dual quad
Smell that burnin' rubber

From what I have been able to figure out, there are 2 sources for the upper and lower trim - offshore and US. The quality of the US stuff is as per original GM. The offshore stuff is thinner, but less expensive. Mar-K (a board sponsor) sells the higher quality US trim.
Dual quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:19 AM   #5
MAR-Ktech
Truck Parts Mfg.

Mar-K aluminum moldings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual quad
From what I have been able to figure out, there are 2 sources for the upper and lower trim - offshore and US. The quality of the US stuff is as per original GM. The offshore stuff is thinner, but less expensive. Mar-K (a board sponsor) sells the higher quality US trim.
Thanks for mentioning us. From what we have seen there appears to be more than one manufacturer of overseas trims. We have purchased sample moldings from other suppliers and there are definite differences in them, indicating they came from different sources. Mar-K manufactures all our own aluminum and stainless moldings except the lower cab and lower front fender moldings, which we purchase from another supplier and include in our kits. As always with parts we purchase, we cherry pick them make sure the parts we sell are quality parts.

The biggest problems we see with moldings from overseas are they are not as shiny as they should be and the clips do not fit properly. In some cases, the moldings just are not the right shape and do not fit the truck body. Even the moldings sold by GM in the last few years did not have proper fitting clips, especially for the lower moldings. If you purchase overseas made moldings, be sure the clips will hold the moldings securely. We can supply clips that fit if you need. http://www.mar-k.com/Moulding_Clips_install.pdf

Some of you with long memories may remember we had problems with our paint flaking off of our moldings sold several years ago. This was due to anodizing residue that kept paint from sticking to the moldings. Problem was resolved by changing anodizer supplier and by improving our paint system. There have been no reports of paint problems for many years.

As you see, the trim package is a big investment. Just be sure you are receiving the value parts that you expect and pay for.

Mar-Ktech
Old 10-14-2005, 10:54 AM   #6
Bill72BB
Thats the Hillbilly way

I purchased the upper and lower trim kit's for BB off one of the board vendors they were thinner , Still look great and fit well . The clips provided with the trim were useless most broke just trying to put the spring into the molding .
I got clips from the Truck Shop that worked .
The truck sits outside but is covered and the molding still looks great after 2 years.
Member Old Farts Club
72 3/4ton Custom Camper BB402/400 trans Dynomax Cerama-coat headers , Hei distributor ,Edelbrock 1411 air,ps,pb,leafsprings ,98 chevy 60/40 seat,S10 shoulder belts
tilt,3.54 Dana 60 rear. 16" Eagle wheels with LT265/75 16 tires,Gaylord Lid,H4 headlights with 100W relay conversion.

" If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself "
Marriage changes passion...suddenly you're in bed with a relative. A GUY'S PRAYER....

Lord, I pray for a nympho with huge boobs who owns a liquor store and likes to fish and hunt and has a Harley .Amen ,
Bill72BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 11:15 AM   #7
cypress TX 72
Saving one 72 at a time!!

Mar-Ktech,
Thanks for the info and I will visit your site. If your trim is better quality, and it sounds like it is. I would rather pay a little more - if not just to support the board and its members.
Can you PM me with some info. and pricing or lead me some where I can get it.
I Currently have over 30K in the truck now and I haven't skimped yet. No time to start at the trim.
Thanks again guys for your input.
TS
cypress TX 72 is offline   Reply With Quote