The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2008, 06:27 AM   #1
mwipp

s10 chassis idea

i wanted to upgrade the suspension, and my day had the idea of mounting it on an s10 chassis. the width is nearly the same the s10 is an inch or two wider. the liength of the s10 is about 4 inch longer and will need to be shortened. i thought it was a good idea because you get newer suspension, in frame gas tank, power steering, and five lug. the chassis doesn't bump up for the box like the c10 but that canbe spaced out. well the reason im posting is to see if anyone has done this or seen it. the other idea we had was to weld the front suspension of an s10 to the back of the c10 chassis. if you've done this could ya expain what ya did
thanks
mwipp
mwipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:05 AM   #2
JohnnyG.

Re: s10 chassis idea

doing a frame swap like this is not always easier than doing a front clip. i know a lot of guys run these frames under 47-54 chevys. ask over in that section. they do these a lot. also if you check on the hamb for a guy by the name clark he does a tech on these for the 47-54 trucks. i dont see how it can be any harder than on those trucks. front clips might be the way to go if you want this truck low. you can do Z the front of the frame pretty easy when you are doing a front clip.
JohnnyG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:40 PM   #3
1gearhead

I have used the S10 chassis under a few swaps. On 55 and later pickups the track is too narrow to look good. Ended up puting a camaro rear end in it and 1" wheel spacers in the front to set the front wheels out, still looked too narrow. On earlier trucks such as 1940 Fords the track works out ok. One other considedration is that you will need headers made to fit the S10 chassis to clear the upper control arms. It will take some time and fabricating to make up the body mounting brackets. Otherwise they are good chassis.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
Super73

Couple question..

What year truck do you have?
What do you not like on the frame/suspension currently?
What is your intended use of this truck?

Reason for asking these questions is based on knowing the trailing arm setup works pretty darn good for drag racing. It actually does pretty well for road racing too. Not that there aren't better suspensions out there but Nascar is still using the truck trailing arm setup (mainly as the rules won't allow for them to use something different).

What I'm getting at is the rear can be made to handle and hook pretty darn good.

The front (depending on year) can also be improved simply (60-62 might be harder do to the torsion bar front). But it wouldn't be that bad to swap that for a 63-82 front in the 60-62. Then you keep the X-frame which maked the frame more rigid helping to avoid frame rail shift.

Just some ideas and thoughts for you to ponder.
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:55 AM   #5
mwipp

its a 1966 c10 short stepside it will be used as an enjoyment and weekend driver and maybe the strip now and then. we were probably just going to do a front clip swap but were looking at other options. cause if we use a s10 frame the suspension is already matching and tuned. i do understand that when shorting the frame it changes it some and it needs to be aligned. but you also gain a stonger frame. the s10 chassis is completely boxed compared to just the c frame. the gas tank in the s10 has it mounted already in the frame and has the fuel pump in the tank. allowing for an easier install of a lt1 if desired. one of you said the track was too narrow? how bad was it? was it fixiable? cause we were looking at putting a s10 rear in it either way.
mwipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:16 AM   #6
Super73

I disagree that the pump being in the tank makes a LT1 swap easier. That S10 fuel pump might not support a strong LT1.. I'm running a Walbro 255 on motor for my 430rwhp LS1 swap and a second for the N20 system. Both are externam sitting in the C-frame rail. Tucked nicely out of the way.

With the S10 frame your now dealing with Leafs that don't ride as good as a trailing arm. I would not say a S10 suspension is "tuned"

Personally I'd stay with the wider track. It's easier on wheel bearings
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:06 PM   #7
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Like JohnnyG said, check the 47-54 board here. I've got a 53 and a S-10 that I'm planning on swapping later this summer/fall. The standard cab longbed (7ft) S-10 is almost the exact same wheelbase as the 47-54. I also have a S-10 4x4 that I'm taking the rear out of because it has a wider track.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:58 AM   #8
Frizzle Fry

I used to think the same way: put a newer chassis and suspension under it and it'll ride like new. Well the truth is that the 63 and up frames are a good design and a solid platform with many many aftermarket suspension options that will blow doors on the S10 stuff. It's not even close to being worth the effort. Now a new vette chassis... that might be justifiable
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 04:23 PM   #9
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

There was another guy on here that cut the cab off an S-10....he left the floor pan and the firewall of the S-10, then grafted the C-10 onto it. Can't remember where I saw it though.

Wonder if he ever finished it ??

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:23 PM   #10
David Flores

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefRocka View Post
There was another guy on here that cut the cab off an S-10....he left the floor pan and the firewall of the S-10, then grafted the C-10 onto it. Can't remember where I saw it though.

Wonder if he ever finished it ??

Here it is.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=268337