The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
68c10owner

couple more random questions

Can anyone tel me what tools I`ll need to unbolt a front crossmember from the frame rails? I`m going to pick up the crossmember I bought from a 1973 truck and the guy torched the frame off just behind the motor mounts. I have my truck stored a hour away so I can`t just go out and look.

Also, how easy is it to disassemble a bed? I found a fleetside bed with no wood or support rails but box is all still bolted together. It`s a long bed so I`ll need to cut it down for my shortbed. I can do it at work but I`ll need to take the bed sides off to store them at work.

And finally, can I get bed support rails for my 62 and use them on a later bed? I think it`s from a 64. I`m pretty sure i saaw some in one of the parts books. If I can`t find any for a 62, can i use later ones and just drill new holes?

Thanks for putting up with my questions guys.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:46 AM   #2
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

Re: couple more random questions

Well........here I am again 68 The x-mem should come out w/ just sockets........provided your engine is already removed. If not you will need a hoist. You will also run into brake lines and stuff like that; I assumed you know that already

A bed should come apart w/ basically a 1/2" socket.......I hope for your sake the wood is gone!!! I took mine apart w/ a Sawzall. You will need a Sawzall in one part because the rear support (below the tailgate) is welded at both ends from the factory. A disc mite get it done. I pieced my bed together from a wrecked '66 and a '62. I think a '64 front piece is in there too. Ilearned by trial under fire
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:04 AM   #3
68c10owner

Thanks. The guy I got the crossmember from cut the frame just after the engine so it`s just the front frame section with the crossmember on it. I just don`t know what size sockets and wrenches to bring with me. I don`thave any tools down at my truck so I have to bring whatever I need.

Yeah the bed wood is gone, just the box and the wheel wells. We have a plasma cutter at work so cutting the one piece should be pretty easy but we got a couple sawzall`s too. Thanks for the help, again.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:45 AM   #4
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

One thing I learned a long time back is that you can't take too many tools. I would take the entire wrench set 3/8 to 3/4, 1/2" drive socket set, wire brush, scraper, hammers, Arkansas socket set (adjustable wrench) and a can of PB Blaster.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:15 AM   #5
68c10owner

Thanks Fred. I don`t have a 1/2 drive socket set at home and I can`t get into my work box till Monday which will be too late. I`ll have to make do with 3/8 drive. I have a complete wrench set and socket set I can bring but I just didn`t want to bring my whole box but your right, better safe than sorry. Thanks.