The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2012, 08:23 AM   #1
rusty76

AC be gone

First off I'm a new guy here. I've got an '76 Silverado that I've owned for many many years. I'm starting to work on it and do some fun stuff, but the one thing that I've had a time with is the AC. I don't care to keep it and since I've got the motor out I thought why not get rid of the AC stuff now. So here's the thing I need to keep the heater. If I remove the AC then what do I need to do. Can I use something from a non AC truck to make it work or will I need to go aftermarket or what? I'd like to keep it simple. Basically I need to keep the stock heater defroster still working, while getting rid of the AC. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
jjzepplin

Re: AC be gone

You have just subscribed to the best site on the internet! You will find all the info you need here and more including parts and meetings as well as friends.
As for your A/C... I just spent three months reinstalling mine.
It is true that you never knew what you had til it's gone..
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
rusty76

I hear ya and thanks for the warm welcome. I'm ready for my AC to be gone. This is going to be a bare bones build so to speak, kinda sorta......
Old 09-08-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
First off I'm a new guy here. I've got an '76 Silverado that I've owned for many many years. I'm starting to work on it and do some fun stuff, but the one thing that I've had a time with is the AC. I don't care to keep it and since I've got the motor out I thought why not get rid of the AC stuff now. So here's the thing I need to keep the heater. If I remove the AC then what do I need to do. Can I use something from a non AC truck to make it work or will I need to go aftermarket or what? I'd like to keep it simple. Basically I need to keep the stock heater defroster still working, while getting rid of the AC. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
The cabs are different between a A/C truck & a non-A/C trucks. The evaporator housing is also the plenum for the blower motor.
Aftermarket systems dont defog the windshield very well. And have no fresh air setting.

I would leave it alone....You may want A/C in the future.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:50 AM   #5
Rubble

How much different are the ac & non ac cabs?? I have one I am thinking of swapping to non ac because of mice in the housing,can't get the stink out!!
Posted via Mobile Device

" Rock n Roll ain't noise pollution"
Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
FlatBlack83

This is what you want... It allows you to keep your blower motor and heater core but get rid of the ac condenser.

http://www.acdelete.com/pages/73-90_Truck.htm

My Build Thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536997
FlatBlack83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
rusty76

Thanks Flatblack. I'd seen these setups before, but wondered if there were some sort of factory deal. Something to be had in the junkyard? I kinda thought the cabs or really the firewalls were different. So another ongoing guestion is this. If I decided I wanted to use the vents in the kick panels from a non ac truck would they also work? I'm working on putting together a plan for my old truck and to be honest I want to clean up the engine bay, get rid of some of the weight were I can and just enjoy a simple old truck. I have no desire to put AC in this truck. I didn't use it much when I first got the truck and it worked. I like simple trucks. Thanks for the help.