The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2013, 04:54 AM   #1
Skunksmash

Hard to find a good repair shop?

I was wondering if this was just me. I find it very hard to find what I would call a "good" automotive repair shop. I try to turn my own wrenches, and most of the time I do. But now and again, I'll take it somewhere to have someone else do it. Either I just simply don't want to do it, or I'm not comfortable with my skill level. Or I don't want my truck down for the amount of time it would take me to do it. Sometimes it could be weeks while I wait on parts and learn about the repair process.

I don't really have to have the truck, but I do want to be able to use it on a spur of the moment impulse. So down time to me really isn't acceptable unless its low. If the down time can't be low, say 1-3 days, I'll usually take it to my trusted mechanic.

So anyway, I've only found 1 guy, in all my days of working on things. 1 guy. And I've done more than most, as I used to have a used car business where every day was spend working on cars, and weighing how much could be spent and what should just be taken to a professional. This guy is fairly inexpensive, and typically does the job right the first time. If you have to take it back to him for the same problem, he never complains or charges more or tries to cheat anyone. I'd say he's a very honest man. He doesn't have the standard list of excuses that you'll hear from a typical mechanic, or reasons why the repair failed and now you should pay him more.

But, he'll retire soon, as he's already 65. I don't know how long he'll continue. He does have several employees, but without him around its doubtful that type of dedication to customer service will continue. If the business will even continue. So what do you look for in a shop? I've had such bad luck with all other shops that I really don't trust any of them. I think that there probably are others out there that can be trusted, but they are really expensive. To the point that if this guy retires, I'll probably be spending a lot more time wrenching on the old truck than I do now. And while I do enjoy it from time to time, I don't want to get burnt out. And spending a lot of time doing it, just really isn't my idea of a good time. What are your thoughts and opinions?
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Re: Hard to find a good repair shop?

IMO,

There's no such thing as a "good" all around mechanic/shop in today's world, Most of the ole school die hard "good" mechanics are retiring.....

Young bucks today need a computer to tell them what's wrong and how to repair, We're in the computer age where less actual "mechanical" training is put forth.

I've been a mechanic my entire life (53) and trust no other wrenches on anything but my own, I needed the oil changed in my van just before a road trip, I didn't have time to do it so took it to a "shop".

Next oil change I found the freak'n idiot cross threaded the drain plug.... WTF !

I took the same van to get new tires, The punk kid thought he was a NASCAR pitman..... He crammed my shanked lug nuts in the socket then shoved it in the wheel, Before I could get over to stop em he'd stripped three of the studs and nuts.....

I ended up put'n the spare (standard wheel) on and babied it home to replace the studs/nuts, Took them the parts bill adding fifty bux to it for MY trouble and they paid it. Now ALL tires come off at home then take'n in for new ones.

Case in point..... If small repairs/jobs like this can be screwed up, You can bet major repairs can be a disaster.

With a yard full of vehicles, If one goes down it sits till I can get to it. If this truck isn't your daily driver, Save money and grief doing the repairs yourself. If you don't know how to do a repair, The net is full of "how too's".......

The way I see it, Why PAY to have something screwed up that you can screw up yourself for free !?!?
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
IMO,

The way I see it, Why PAY to have something screwed up that you can screw up yourself for free !?!?
exactly. Just like the used car lot that replaced the timing chain on a 97 Blazer. Too bad the didn't replace the cover like they are supposed to do and the CKP was off which destroyed 2 starters and a flywheel. It left my shop on Friday with a $1428 bill. The reason he changed the chain? To fix a driveability problem which was due to someone not routing plug wires correct. The chain was in great shape.

In short, a good shop could have saved them almost $2K

"if you have to take it back for the same problem"?! Anything beyond a 2% comeback rate is totally unacceptable in my book.

you may try talking to older neighbors and see where they go. Ask the shops for referrences. Talking to women is another good idea. Most of the time they do not tell a shop if they are unhappy but instead just go elsewhere
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
vectorit
What?

It took me a long time to find a shop that I trusted with my Suburban around where I live, since I live in a fairly "new" area so finding an old established shop was next to impossible.

I typically drive around the industrial complexes looking for classic cars in the parking lot, once I do find a place with old stuff in the lot I will go in and check it out. Then I ask other shops what they think of the shop that has all the old stuff being worked on, and this is how I found the shop I go to for the things that I have trouble working on or am in a hurry to get it fixed.

Lucky for me, he and his wife are huge 67-72 Chevy truck fans, and even have a giant picture of a C-10 on their window front done is glass wrap.
Funny thing too, he was on "Overhaulin" as one of the insiders. (The show where the mark was a guy in a wheelchair, getting his 67 fastback Mustang redone).

Does your current shop know of another shop they can confidently recommend to you to go after they close up for retirement?
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
dirtyjim

there are two decent ones near me but still do all of my own wrenching, my parents use both of the shops when I don't have time to fix their vehicles due to me doing a lot of out of town work.
the thing that gets me is all the fee's they have started to tack on to cover their overhead, before long there will be a $25 customer fee, along with a $56 head scratching fee and a $49 I had to hire my idiot cousin fee
Old 12-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #6
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post
Does your current shop know of another shop they can confidently recommend to you to go after they close up for retirement?
very good question to ask.
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I have a good & honest shop about 15 miles from me. I found out about it by asking around. It is basically a muffler shop but they do suspension work too. Exhaust is all I have had them do and they were reasonably priced and did good work... I also do most of my own work.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote